hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The Orville [Megathread]

Just caught up with this show over the last few days, loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Great episode tonight. I won't spoil it, but it did a fantastic job focusing on both Claire and Issac.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    I want to like this show and I kind of do, but 'Majority Rule' reeks of ripping off Black Mirror. It's impossible not to see that.

Edit: ... although they take anew spin on it so I guess it's ok.
    I haven't seen the Black Mirror episode referenced, but from what I understand the script for Majority Rule was written half a year or so before the Black Mirror episode aired. (Apparently a lot of the S1 scripts were written early, probably to pitch the show)
    Ah, ok. It could be coincidence. It's also set on a version of earth where everyone votes for everyone else constantly and you have a caste system based on how many up/down votes you have. The BM episode does most of it much better and in more detail, but the take home lesson isn't about the flaws of an absolute democracy, it's more about how you judge people in your personal life and to stop being obsessed with social media.
    Last edited by Frug; November 4 2017 at 07:12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Two latest eps were great stuff, agreed that the Majority Rule felt familiar due to Black Mirror.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Great episode tonight. I won't spoil it, but it did a fantastic job focusing on both Claire and Issac.

I want to like this show and I kind of do, but 'Majority Rule' reeks of ripping off Black Mirror. It's impossible not to see that.

Edit: ... although they take anew spin on it so I guess it's ok.
    I haven't seen the Black Mirror episode referenced, but from what I understand the script for Majority Rule was written half a year or so before the Black Mirror episode aired. (Apparently a lot of the S1 scripts were written early, probably to pitch the show)
    Ah, ok. It could be coincidence. It's also set on a version of earth where everyone votes for everyone else constantly and you have a caste system based on how many up/down votes you have. The BM episode does most of it much better and in more detail, but the take home lesson isn't about the flaws of an absolute democracy, it's more about how you judge people in your personal life and to stop being obsessed with social media.
    Both of them ripped the idea from Community which aired several years earlier who probably ripped it from someone else as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    Both of them ripped the idea from Community which aired several years earlier who probably ripped it from someone else as well.
    I loved community and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyway it's easy for two separate people to come to the notion of taking social media upvotes to their logical conclusion - and having a society run on it - without ripping eachother off. The specifics of execution, like having a caste system where you can't go into certain stores and whatnot can start to make it suspicious.
    Last edited by Frug; November 5 2017 at 06:31:16 PM.

I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    I loved community and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyway it's easy for two separate people to come to the notion of taking social media upvotes to their logical conclusion - and having a society run on it - without ripping eachother off. The specifics of execution, like having a caste system where you can't go into certain stores and whatnot can start to make it suspicious.
    Guess you didnt love Community as much as you think then

http://community-sitcom.wikia.com/wiki/MeowMeowBeenz

Last couple of episodes have been good,

From the music I got a DS9 feel from the latest one along with an Aliens trope
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

But still .... there it was ... the first holo-deck-episode.

Anyone else notice the conference room had a very TNG conference room look
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

I really liked ep10, the holodeck episode. The Orville continues to straddle that fine line between homage and copycat. This episode had something I don't remember much of in TNG, which is self-doubt. My memory may just be stale, but even in the reality-bending episodes I don't remember any characters saying "I can't do this" or "I'm not ready for this." And yet, it's something we all have to struggle with now and then. Overcoming that is always a special reward. It did seem like a blend of a few TNG episodes what with the door to nowhere and fears becoming manifest, but I thought it was all used to great effect. And I really love every character, Alara was great this episode. They're doing main-character-of-the-week instead of crisis-of-the-week, and I am OK with this for the first season. Sadly, they do seem to be doing self-contained episodes that don't bring up the past or really show the development in everyone that we get ep by ep, but they've got time.

Last week's episode made me cringe so much, not because it was outright bad but it was just portraying such awkward scenes. I still thought it was good in an uncomfortable way, it was just full of stuff that would've made me want to leave the room if I was there. We'll see if they explore the implication that Kelly was irresistibly chemically influenced to cheat on Ed. Hell, even he banged the guy. That's some mojo. I would be pissed if that was the reason I became the evil one who ruined my marriage.

If they introduce some continuity and do it well it could take the show to the next level. Even without it, I'll still be watching for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    Anyone else notice the conference room had a very TNG conference room look
    I noticed more that the shuttlebay is the same. Except the ship design is so bad it puts the engine in your way when exiting. Good thing it's a comedy.

And Robert Picardo was Alara's father

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Latest episode was very good, I think its the season finale.

Mix of
    TNG: When the bough breaks
    VOY: Blink of an eye

Good episode with a decent story

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

The short season still bugs me. But at least it went out on a high note.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

I know, shows these days are so meh with their 13 episodes per season + a mid-season break..

Back in the Trek/Bab5/Stargate/BSG days it was like 20-23 eps per season. Most of them good quality (a few fillers)

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

I know, shows these days are so meh with their 13 episodes per season + a mid-season break..

Back in the Trek/Bab5/Stargate/BSG days it was like 20-23 eps per season. Most of them good quality (a few fillers)
    Yeah. What the hell. A season is supposed to be long. This is bullshit.

Some shows have an excuse because they've got huge production values or strive for tons of quality, like an HBO series. But Orville is cheap! It looks like they could churn out an episode a week no problem.

And there's nothing wrong with well-done filler episodes. Not everything needs to be a piece of an epic season-long story, or some one-off deep, thought-provoking piece. Sometimes you just need room for your Wormhole X-Tremes, Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places, and McKay & Mrs. Miller.

Short seasons mean every episode counts. Which is another way of saying that the writers have to be conservative. But longer seasons give them room to try some things that may not work, without sending the whole season off the rails.

I was sure it was over at E11 so I was happily surprised to find there was suddenly a E12 waiting for me.
    Thats not saying I disagree with that there should be more eps per season.

e: I just wanted 13 eps. My bad.
    Last edited by Lowa [NSN]; December 18 2017 at 06:26:45 AM.
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    I was sure it was over at E12 so I was happily surprised to find there was suddenly a E13 waiting for me.

Thats not saying I disagree with that there should be more eps per season.
    Uhh, there were only 12 episodes. One episode (production episode 12) is being held over to next season...

I could have sworn...