Thread: The Orville [Megathread]

Happy arbor day.

oyyyy veyyy

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
      Spoiler:
    The whole Pria disappearing when the wormhole got blown up thing was completely ridiculous though.
    Time travel paradoxes always are. Without the wormhole she couldn't have traveled to the past to begin with.
    I wondered what would be a more scientific special effect for that disappearing thing. The person would presumably vanish instantly, leaving a vacuum for air to fill. Would it be a comical popping sound? Could that have been more accurate and more funny?
    Nope. She would simply cease to exist. In one frame and gone the next. (There's no popping because that would imply the movement of air, and said air wouldn't need to move since she was never there to begin with)
    No, that makes even less sense. If the air didn't need to move to fill in the space as you're saying, then you're saying she was never there and that the episode never happened. But it did and she was. Their version of time travel is a-la Back to the Future, such that altering the timeline makes her cease to exist from the moment you change it onward, but not retroactively. Her timeline did exist and she did go back and erase herself from the future.

I'm going to go with a popping sound until a physicist tells me the sound of air filling a void isn't like that.

That's not how it probably works at all. If the wormhole vanishes (which it won't from a few missiles) she'll just be marooned on this end, plain and simple.
    Agreed. Isn't that how it works in Star Trek? But they went with the Back to the Future trope so that's how their universe works.

I don't like the fading away thing because then your feet would stop holding you up above the floor and, assuming gravity still affects you, you'd plummet to the center of the earth or fall through the ship or something. I really hated an episode of Enterprise where they did the whole walking through walls thing. You can't walk along the floor AND walk through walls dammit.
    Last edited by Frug; October 10 2017 at 12:12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Spoiler:
    The whole Pria disappearing when the wormhole got blown up thing was completely ridiculous though.
    Time travel paradoxes always are. Without the wormhole she couldn't have traveled to the past to begin with.
    I wondered what would be a more scientific special effect for that disappearing thing. The person would presumably vanish instantly, leaving a vacuum for air to fill. Would it be a comical popping sound? Could that have been more accurate and more funny?
    Nope. She would simply cease to exist. In one frame and gone the next. (There's no popping because that would imply the movement of air, and said air wouldn't need to move since she was never there to begin with)
    No, that makes even less sense. If the air didn't need to move to fill in the space as you're saying, then you're saying she was never there and that the episode never happened. But it did and she was. Their version of time travel is a-la Back to the Future, such that altering the timeline makes her cease to exist from the moment you change it onward, but not retroactively. Her timeline did exist and she did go back and erase herself from the future.

I'm going to go with a popping sound until a physicist tells me the sound of air filling a void isn't like that.

That's not how it probably works at all. If the wormhole vanishes (which it won't from a few missiles) she'll just be marooned on this end, plain and simple.
    Agreed. Isn't that how it works in Star Trek? But they went with the Back to the Future trope so that's how their universe works.

I don't like the fading away thing because then your feet would stop holding you up above the floor and, assuming gravity still affects you, you'd plummet to the center of the earth or fall through the ship or something. I really hated an episode of Enterprise where they did the whole walking through walls thing. You can't walk along the floor AND walk through walls dammit.
    If you can believe in a person simply disappearing into nothing, is believing air appearing from nothing so much harder to accept?

The answer is don't think about it, especially in this show. After all the time travel fuckery in trek's long history, I can't be bothered raising an eyebrow over how they want to tie up the timeline. The only thing that actually bothered me a little bit was that the guy's leg had so much more above the knee on the loose leg than had apparently been cut off him. Still, I'm inclined to give them a free pass on little things like that because I can't be sure it isn't intentional cheesiness/bad effects mimicry. We'll see how it plays going forward, I guess. Still made me laugh a lot. They were watching Seinfeld on the main viewer for crying out loud

Quote Originally Posted by Raine Woot View Post
    The answer is don't think about it
    I'll think about what a vanishing person would sound like if I want to. If it bothers you, I'll think about it even more.

Meanwhile you're debating the quality of their severed leg. Come on, man.

I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Raine Woot View Post
    The answer is don't think about it
    I'll think about what a vanishing person would sound like if I want to. If it bothers you, I'll think about it even more.

Meanwhile you're debating the quality of their severed leg. Come on, man.
    Fair enough!

Correct. She was never there and the episode never happened. Blowing up the wormhole was an S Rank reset button.

On which note, she can't get marooned in the past because blowing up the wormhole means that it's not there in the future for her to use. It's a grandfather paradox if she were to stay.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Correct. She was never there and the episode never happened. Blowing up the wormhole was an S Rank reset button.

On which note, she can't get marooned in the past because blowing up the wormhole means that it's not there in the future for her to use. It's a grandfather paradox if she were to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

I' like to point out, that although a bit pointless, its still fun to argue about things like this in the Orville.

I very much doubt anyone will even make the effort to argue about space mushroom drives in Discovery.

Another point for The Orville.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar

There are only two valid answers to the grandfather paradox. This wasn't either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    Time travel shit gets a pass as long as it's consistent within the universe.
    I could get on-board with this sentiment if I knew of a single TV / movie universe that actually had consistent time travel shit. It's usually "whatever the writer of this episode felt like", and that's the bit that bothered me most. No, Orville doesn't have enough canon to rule this as inconsistent, but it's so much hand-wavium that it's basically guaranteed the next time travel episode will work differently.
    Last edited by Overspark; October 12 2017 at 06:35:39 PM.

There are only two valid answers to the grandfather paradox. This wasn't either of them.

I could get on-board with this sentiment if I knew of a single TV / movie universe that actually had consistent time travel shit. It's usually "whatever the writer of this episode felt like", and that's the bit that bothered me most. No, Orville doesn't have enough canon to rule this as inconsistent, but it's so much hand-wavium that it's basically guaranteed the next time travel episode will work differently.
    Primer is pretty much the only thing that does time travel and how fucked up it would be properly I reckon.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

What in the episode led you to this conclusion?

Because they gave absolutely no indication of what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Primer is pretty much the only thing that does time travel and how fucked up it would be properly I reckon.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

"Which means that Pria Lavesque will have no reason to come back into our past."
    "And you and I will never have met. You'd still be that messed-up guy who can't get over his ex-wife."
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Spoiler:
    took me 2 go's to get it
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar

"Which means that Pria Lavesque will have no reason to come back into our past."
    "And you and I will never have met. You'd still be that messed-up guy who can't get over his ex-wife."
    So if they never met the Orville will die in that anti-matter storm. Except we'll get another episode next week! It's already inconsistent within a single episode...

Recent episode was really good, doing difficult moral storylines with some good humour.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Tbh, I disliked the cringeworthy acting of the captain and his crewman as grills. A bit too far on the not serious site.

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

Well I must give you props for finding the quote.

But Overspark is right. If it never happened, they'd be dead. And when she vanishes, he doesn't pop into a different timeline - he stares wistfully at where she was just standing.

I think they cocked up the dialogue.

Well I must give you props for finding the quote.

But Overspark is right. If it never happened, they'd be dead. And when she vanishes, he doesn't pop into a different timeline - he stares wistfully at where she was just standing.

I think they cocked up the dialogue.
    Or Pria was simply lying about them being destroyed as a way of making them feel better/more accepting of being ship-knapped into the future.