hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The Orville [Megathread]

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Accurate
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Its bro-comedy for people who heard that its cool to be a nerd now, i cant get over that.
    Except that the people most interested in it are old school star trek fans. Basically all anyone has to say good about Orville is it's like TNG and made by a guy who loves TNG?

I'm sure there are people who also stumble across it because it's cool to be a nerd now. I'm also sure a bunch of them love Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

TRAPS ARE GAY!

I'm enjoying both, for different reasons. In these halcyon days of Nerdom it doesn't have to be a and/or situation.

If people are really that desperate for classic deep space survivall larks, Red Dwarf is back next week

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Now that will suck

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Its bro-comedy for people who heard that its cool to be a nerd now, i cant get over that.
    Except that the people most interested in it are old school star trek fans. Basically all anyone has to say good about Orville is it's like TNG and made by a guy who loves TNG?

I'm sure there are people who also stumble across it because it's cool to be a nerd now. I'm also sure a bunch of them love Discovery.
    This post is remarkably absent of bitter hipster cycnicism and anger.

What the everloving fuck happened to you Frug....it's like your account got hacked a few months ago, and some other guy is posting under your name now.

Or you're on prozac now.

Either way, well said mate.

"Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile......" Robert Hunter, "He's Gone"
    "...we looked very closely at the matter and concluded that unfortunately arseholes also get to benefit from democratic freedoms." Andreas Geisel, Interior Affairs Senator, Germany

I thought this episode was easily the funniest, I am so happy that this show exists.

"Nev... nevermind about that"

This was a good episode, wasn't a carbon copy of things we had seen before.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
      Spoiler:
    The whole Pria disappearing when the wormhole got blown up thing was completely ridiculous though.

Spoiler:
    The whole Pria disappearing when the wormhole got blown up thing was completely ridiculous though.
    Time travel paradoxes always are. Without the wormhole she couldn't have traveled to the past to begin with.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
      Spoiler:
    Time travel paradoxes always are. Without the wormhole she couldn't have traveled to the past to begin with.
    I wondered what would be a more scientific special effect for that disappearing thing. The person would presumably vanish instantly, leaving a vacuum for air to fill. Would it be a comical popping sound? Could that have been more accurate and more funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Hahaha no fuck this
    Watched the first episode of this, can confirm Paradrops sentiment

Spoiler:
    I wondered what would be a more scientific special effect for that disappearing thing. The person would presumably vanish instantly, leaving a vacuum for air to fill. Would it be a comical popping sound? Could that have been more accurate and more funny?
    Nope. She would simply cease to exist. In one frame and gone the next. (There's no popping because that would imply the movement of air, and said air wouldn't need to move since she was never there to begin with)
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

I can see this is already collecting all the tropes.

I like Orville. It's dumb, and derpy, and silly and very self-aware.

Feels like TOS meets TNG tbqh. Cheese, but good cheese.

"Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile......" Robert Hunter, "He's Gone"
    "...we looked very closely at the matter and concluded that unfortunately arseholes also get to benefit from democratic freedoms." Andreas Geisel, Interior Affairs Senator, Germany

Spoiler:
    but if she never travelled to the past, she never wpuld have rescued the ship? Time travel stuff always annoys me for reasons like3 that
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

I continue to like it. But it is dancing on a razors edge imho, its still feels like it does not quite know what it is/supposed to be and that is dangerous over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
      Spoiler:
    Nope. She would simply cease to exist. In one frame and gone the next. (There's no popping because that would imply the movement of air, and said air wouldn't need to move since she was never there to begin with)
    That's not how it probably works at all. If the wormhole vanishes (which it won't from a few missiles) she'll just be marooned on this end, plain and simple. Her matter isn't magically different from other matter, it's just there. The whole disappearing thing is a movie/TV invention. I can forgive the fading photo thing in back to the future because they got the timeline forks mostly right, but this was just a ridiculous way to get rid of a loose end.

Time travel shit gets a pass as long as it's consistent within the universe.
    TRAPS ARE GAY!

Don't get bogged down in science. Just remember the tree that defeated the aliens
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread