hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Orville [Megathread]

Buffy balanced between comedy and drama, was very campy, and was wildly popular
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Macfarland is no Whedon.

"Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile......" Robert Hunter, "He's Gone"
    "...we looked very closely at the matter and concluded that unfortunately arseholes also get to benefit from democratic freedoms." Andreas Geisel, Interior Affairs Senator, Germany

THE PUNISHED
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Bortus is one of the few characters that consistently makes me laugh. He makes a good straight man.
    Ironic given he's married to a guy.

Was bored, tried another episode. Still awful.

This just seems to me like Mcfarlane wants to cosplay a Star Trek show, but either he wants it to be funny but he keeps forgetting to add jokes, or the only way he could get it made was to tell the money men it was a comedy and he adds the bare minimum to make it pass as one.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    Was bored, tried another episode. Still awful.

This just seems to me like Mcfarlane wants to cosplay a Star Trek show, but either he wants it to be funny but he keeps forgetting to add jokes, or the only way he could get it made was to tell the money men it was a comedy and he adds the bare minimum to make it pass as one.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    This has resulted in the characters being 100% smug pricks 110% of the time.

Much like the writer

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortess View Post
    I like it.

Ep 4 was decent again. Just watching it expecting off-brand TNG with added dick jokes, it could be a whole lot worse. I can wait for the Expanse for my srsbsns space drama, happy to let this ride for now. It's refreshing in a lot of ways, even if some of the MacFarlanisms fall flat. Also, the female characters being badasses doesn't hurt. Picard would have been proud of how number 1 took that torture.

Best housewife. How long before he gay bangs a blue alien?

Last edited by Raine Woot; September 29 2017 at 04:12:58 AM.

Tried watching the first episode, doesnt do it for me. McFarlane ist one short step above poop jokes, and himself taking the lead means we get a literal Mary Sue that has to be "like, sooooo awesome". Set design looks like TOS with a bit less edges, which is fine i guess, but CG looks straight out of the nineties and seriously clashes with the rest.

Its bro-comedy for people who heard that its cool to be a nerd now, i cant get over that. But if you can, more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Tried watching the first episode, doesnt do it for me. McFarlane ist one short step above poop jokes, and himself taking the lead means we get a literal Mary Sue that has to be "like, sooooo awesome". Set design looks like TOS with a bit less edges, which is fine i guess, but CG looks straight out of the nineties and seriously clashes with the rest.

Its bro-comedy for people who heard that its cool to be a nerd now, i cant get over that. But if you can, more power to you.
    Give it 3 episodes. Each and every episode gets better compared to the pilot. Pilots in general are rough, and the Orville's in particular was much heavier on the comedy than the rest of the show has been.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

Give it 3 episodes. Each and every episode gets better compared to the pilot. Pilots in general are rough, and the Orville's in particular was much heavier on the comedy than the rest of the show has been.
    I think it's fair to say "give it the whole first season" honestly, for two reasons.

1. Like almost every Star Trek, it could/should get better over some time and familiarity.

2. Viewers jumping ship early will lead to the (inevitable) FOX cancellation and a hesitancy to try similar programming in the future.

I'd feel the same way about ST Discovery (i.e. watch it, give it a chance, and a full season) as well......if it wasn't on a pay-to-access option.

"Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile......" Robert Hunter, "He's Gone"
    "...we looked very closely at the matter and concluded that unfortunately arseholes also get to benefit from democratic freedoms." Andreas Geisel, Interior Affairs Senator, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Raine Woot View Post
    off-brand TNG with added dick jokes
    I like it. Alternating Orville with the reruns of the original TNG provides for enjoyable viewing experience.

Pilots in general are rough, and the Orville's in particular was much heavier on the comedy than the rest of the show has been.
    too bad it wasn't even funny

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Pilots in general are rough, and the Orville's in particular was much heavier on the comedy than the rest of the show has been.
    Mostly fair, but not 100% correct.

Occasional lines made me giggle ("We need no longer fear the banana"), but yes it is mostly just predictable and shitty American humour.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Mostly fair, but not 100% correct.

Occasional lines made me giggle ("We need no longer fear the banana"), but yes it is mostly just predictable and shitty American humour.
    I didn't find it funny at all just weirdly smug

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Ep 4 was awful.
    Boring and not funny, not even slightly amusing.

Enjoyed episode 4. It's really enjoyable watching. As much as I super enjoy the Expanse (its fucking amazing).. it's nice watching a show that is light and exploratory. As a massive cynic I hate saying that.. but it's true

Also
      Spoiler:
    Liam Neeson!
    cameo!

To me, this does feel like TNG, perhaps not season 1 because it ironically feels less campy. This crew feels secure in their own skin.

Dunno why people are so bitter. Okay that's not true, I feel that bitterness towards Discovery. I just enjoy this because it's NOT trek but something similar.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Just watched the latest ep. Spoilers etc

Spoiler:
    Charlize Theron was a nice touch. Probably first time Seth and her have reunited since A Million Ways to die in the West.

Amelia Earhart reference made me laugh, it's probably a Voyager episode called the 37s reference.

Good episode, nice mix of comedy and TNG 'future historian' stuff.

I really enjoy this show. It's fun with some moral messages and seriousness.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

I felt it was probably the weakest episode since the pilot, but I enjoyed it as well. I mean, how can you not love Mr. Potato Head?
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar