hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 137 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3787127134135136137138139140 LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 2796

Thread: God Hates THE WORLD (Natural Disaster Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    So edgy.
    Not really. I just see how we treat other humans, animals and the planet.
    We are a cancer to the world.

If we at least showed that we were able to change, even just a bit, then I would have had a hope for us.
    But as it stands, I dont see anything that gives me any hope for the future.
    Last edited by Armyofme; August 16 2021 at 05:27:57 PM.

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    One might argue that the consequence of life is always its own extinction, especially when it comes to sentient life.
    Yepp. That would be one answer to the Fermi Paradox.
    Scariest one. I'd rather believe in reapers, being first or being too far from each other.
    The last one is what I think is the most likely scenario by all we know up until now about physics. That in combination with a very tiny time frame in which civilizations unintentionally broadcast their existence into space. E.g. mankind started "blasting" radios waves (and later TV) in the early 1930. That was our main means of transferring information. Up until the early 2000s or so, I guess. At that time we began moving information transfer to the internet = back to wires. Even radio and TV. So let's be generous and make that epoch 1920-2020. That means only for a century - a blink of an eye in the galactic timescale - we were easily detectable from elsewhere.
    If by easily detectable you mean "not really above the background noise and would require an instrument way past anything we can currently think of to detect from few light years away" then yes, you are right.
    That's not what I meant, although that is of course obviously also true. With "easily detectable" I meant "signals with wave patterns and/or on a frequency not produced by a natural source as far as we know". I.e. something like the famous Wow! signal. Which stood out both because of its strength (your point) and its frequency.

Another thing I recently stumbled upon is a visualization of the distance those earliest radio signals from earth have traveled so far. Which isn't that far (spoilered for larger image):
      Spoiler:

Source: https://www.planetary.org/articles/3390

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    One might argue that the consequence of life is always its own extinction, especially when it comes to sentient life.
    Yepp. That would be one answer to the Fermi Paradox.
    Scariest one. I'd rather believe in reapers, being first or being too far from each other.
    The last one is what I think is the most likely scenario by all we know up until now about physics. That in combination with a very tiny time frame in which civilizations unintentionally broadcast their existence into space. E.g. mankind started "blasting" radios waves (and later TV) in the early 1930. That was our main means of transferring information. Up until the early 2000s or so, I guess. At that time we began moving information transfer to the internet = back to wires. Even radio and TV. So let's be generous and make that epoch 1920-2020. That means only for a century - a blink of an eye in the galactic timescale - we were easily detectable from elsewhere.
    If by easily detectable you mean "not really above the background noise and would require an instrument way past anything we can currently think of to detect from few light years away" then yes, you are right.
    That's not what I meant, although that is of course obviously also true. With "easily detectable" I meant "signals with wave patterns and/or on a frequency not produced by a natural source as far as we know". I.e. something like the famous Wow! signal. Which stood out both because of its strength (your point) and its frequency.

Another thing I recently stumbled upon is a visualization of the distance those earliest radio signals from earth have traveled so far. Which isn't that far (spoilered for larger image):
      Spoiler:

Source: https://www.planetary.org/articles/3390
    And they aren't distinguishable from the background noise even with theoretically perfect detectors from 20LY away, to be very generous.

Stay safe, USbros

Hurricane Ida barrels down on Louisiana amid warnings of ‘life-altering storm’

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ast-us-weather
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    Stay safe, USbros

The revamp of the surge protection etc has worked. Storm worse than Katrina at <5% of the trouble, deaths, economic cost etc.

Thanks in big part to Dutch engineers.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Stay safe, USbros

The revamp of the surge protection etc has worked. Storm worse than Katrina at <5% of the trouble, deaths, economic cost etc.

Ida was a Cat 4, second only to Katrina.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Good to hear!

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Small victory for the planet: Algeria stops using leaded fuel.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Stay safe, USbros

Wait a minute - so you're saying science actually does work? Ain't that heresy in those southern states?

here is a short primer on the terms and ideas being discussed surrounding collapse, since it's basically going to go mainstream.

i figure, at least some of you lot is going to get a bit of use out of this when terms like ecofascism comes up.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Some of these are really strange: Cottage-core? That's really a thing?

It's somebodies blog.

The funniest part of that was:

I hope the result won't resemble too closely the rigid taxonomies of nineteenth century anthropologists.
    Then proceeds to sounds like an 19th century anthropologist.
    meh

Some of these are really strange: Cottage-core? That's really a thing?
    Cottagecore is a fashion aesthetic popularised by teenagers and young adults celebrating an idealised rural life. It was developed throughout the 2010s and was first named cottagecore on Tumblr in 2018.
    Not even remotely surprised it came from tumblr

I guess the most important part about our civilization collapsing is making sure it does so in a fashionable manner
    Last edited by Joshua Foiritain; September 1 2021 at 04:55:52 PM.

I've had several friends move out of town in the last 2 years (covid lockdowns, earthquakes and insane neighbours) into the countryside.

They all have quite an idyllic idea of what life in a village some 100km from a city is. I warned them it ain't all sunshine and roses and now they're finding out

It's still not a bad move imho

like you have actual cities in balkans

I'm not even mad

adjusting to city life is easy, adjusting to rural living seems to take people quite a bit longer. I've met far too many people that would go on a nice hike in the rural area i used to live, appreciating it immediately and being amazed with how accessible the outdoors was, then would reach a stream and start drinking from it without any thoughts at all.

Happily chugs a mouthful of fertilizer runoff, algae, tannins, and who knows what else.

Visibly shudders when you offer them the local tap water.

I've had several friends move out of town in the last 2 years (covid lockdowns, earthquakes and insane neighbours) into the countryside.

They all have quite an idyllic idea of what life in a village some 100km from a city is. I warned them it ain't all sunshine and roses and now they're finding out

It's still not a bad move imho
    "... so you're saying my internet max download speed is 0.8mbit/s?!"
    reverses all the way back to the big smoke