hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 139 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3989129136137138139140141142 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 2966

Thread: God Hates THE WORLD (Natural Disaster Thread)

Guess who was bankrolling the antinuclear tree hugging hippies...
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    In case you're not aware: Germany has its federal election in two weeks on Sunday (26th). It marks the end of the Merkel era, btw

For the first time ever, the Green party has officially nominated a chancellor candidate, Annalena Baerbock. She won't make it, but it's quite a statement by the Green party to do so.

Meanwhile 2 TV triells happened. Looking at the statements of both Laschet/CDU and Scholz/SPD, one of them becoming the next chancellor except something extraordinary happens, they promise more of the same to combat the climate catastrophe, i.e. "we'll keep doing what didn't work out in the past, because it's convenient".

So yeah ... don't count on Germany to get our emissions down to what we promised over and over again - which already wasn't enough anyway.
    Nord Stream 2 was a huge mistake, not because of dumb "ROOOYYYIIISSSAAAA" shit, but because the easy access to natural gas it provides has basically locked in dependence on that for the foreseeable future.
    The irony is that due to climate-policies pressure that gas has to become unbearably expensive for the consumers. Long term locked into a terrible deal by all means, what could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Nord Stream 2 was a huge mistake, not because of dumb "ROOOYYYIIISSSAAAA" shit, but because the easy access to natural gas it provides has basically locked in dependence on that for the foreseeable future.
    The irony is that due to climate-policies pressure that gas has to become unbearably expensive for the consumers. Long term locked into a terrible deal by all means, what could possibly go wrong?
    RosAtom builds nice plants

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BREST_(reactor)

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Traitors like Jane Fonda, Prince Charles and others who fund anti humanity terrorist groups like Greenpeace and WWF. All of them cultural Marxists of one or other kind!

If you think that a single cent of good patriotic hardworking USA coal companies was spent funding those commie terrorists you are sheeple deluded by (((them)))

Just to note, I'm being a little bit sarcastic
    Since ether scientific or fiction or non fiction publishing on global warming has become very depressing.

(A) Picture(s) tell(s) more than a thousand words. (Spoilered for larger images)

Spoiler:

Lalbagh Fort in Dhaka, Bangladesh

Plaza de la Catedral in Havana, Cuba

State Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, Russia

St. Paul's Cathedral in London, United Kingdom

Cathedral of our Lady in Antwerp, Belgium

Source: https://picturing.climatecentral.org/. More and interactive images over there.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    The American Bumblebee Has Nearly Vanished From Eight States

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...tes-180978817/
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Anyone sensible? Seriously dont talk shit about something you know very little about. Nuclear is the ultimate example of wasteful corrupt crony capitalism. It's everything you hate.

But what do I know, I've just literally negotiated major legal documents involving Hinkley Point C and played with its financial model.

Let me state for the record: online armchair nerds bumming nuclear is incredibly irritating to anyone with sufficient expertise in energy projects to properly analyse the rationale for nuclear.
    Last edited by Lallante; October 14 2021 at 09:20:17 AM.

Nord Stream 2 was a huge mistake, not because of dumb "ROOOYYYIIISSSAAAA" shit, but because the easy access to natural gas it provides has basically locked in dependence on that for the foreseeable future. the "correct" response would have been a managed domestic energy crisis and green-tech deployment. but then, that's just rearranging the chairs on the titanic now, so what would the point have been...
    This comment quietly exposes one of the biggest unresolved contradictions in the far left agenda.

Have you any idea how damaging to the poorest 20% of the country a doubling of their heating bill is? That's what 'not having Nord Stream 2' essentially means, hand wavey utopianism about switching 400m people overnight to heat pumps run by renewable unicorn farts aside. "easy access to natural gas" is just code for "heating at an affordable price".

Renewable heat is an extremely expensive endeavour, and I should know, given its now my main professional focus and something I'm passionately in favour of. We simply arent ready or able, technologically, to transition away from natural gas in either power or heating markets.
    Last edited by Lallante; October 14 2021 at 09:31:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Anyone sensible? Seriously dont talk shit about something you know very little about. Nuclear is the ultimate example of wasteful corrupt crony capitalism. It's everything you hate.

But what do I know, I've just literally negotiated major legal documents involving Hinkley Point C and played with its financial model.

Let me state for the record: online armchair nerds bumming nuclear is incredibly irritating to anyone with sufficient expertise in energy projects to properly analyse the rationale for nuclear.
    The biggest issue with nuclear is cost of financing which in current environment of perpetually negative interest rates and gigadollars thrown around for every fart dick and joe is ridiculous.

Disregard insider opinion, listen to armchair nerds

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post

The biggest issue with nuclear is cost of financing which in current environment of perpetually negative interest rates and gigadollars thrown around for every fart dick and joe is ridiculous.
    It absolutely isnt. It's the fact that you are paying upfront for a 60 year piece of infrastructure the need for which isnt clear beyond a 15 year horizon and whose decommissioning costs are literally a wild guess (in an area where all previous wild guesses have been too low by several orders of magntitude) because no one actually knows how to do it.

Then on top of all that, its ALSO the most expensive

And on top of that, it's putting all your eggs in one basket such that a single fuck up by a single welder during construction might delay the project 5 years and double its cost (as it has done in Flamanville)

By 15 year horizon, do you mean it's plausible that renewables will meet all our energy requirements within the next 15 years?

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    By 15 year horizon, do you mean it's plausible that renewables will meet all our energy requirements within the next 15 years?
    Personally I'd be willing to bet on it. Not energy though, just electricity. Heat and transport are both a bigger problem

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post

It absolutely isnt. It's the fact that you are paying upfront for a 60 year piece of infrastructure the need for which isnt clear beyond a 15 year horizon and whose decommissioning costs are literally a wild guess (in an area where all previous wild guesses have been too low by several orders of magntitude) because no one actually knows how to do it.

Then on top of all that, its ALSO the most expensive

And on top of that, it's putting all your eggs in one basket such that a single fuck up by a single welder during construction might delay the project 5 years and double its cost (as it has done in Flamanville)
    The need is completely clear. Electricity need keeps climbing and will continue to climb for a long long while. A reliable base load is needed (and will always be needed). There is no need to put eggs in one basket thats why people are actually proposing nuclear. Renewables simply arent enough. They don't provide base load. They arent reliable. Id rather go the way of France than Germany.

Saying anything else simply means you're kidding yourself or have a different agenda.

Or the society collapses.

Personally I'd be willing to bet on it. Not energy though, just electricity. Heat and transport are both a bigger problem
    What they need to do is focus even more on hydrogen cars and not them silly teslas...

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

Quote Originally Posted by Armyofme View Post
    What they need to do is focus even more on hydrogen cars and not them silly teslas...
    lets, at a time of rapidly increasing energy costs, use a technology that, at best, doubles the energy demand of the transport sector.

what could go wrong.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Ouch, took a look at our "public but only for qualified professionals, so not really public" document on projected climate change economic damages. I guess most people heard about that famous Nobel laureate who is prognosticating something like 2.5% cumulative GDP loss by end of century and all governments are taking that as gospel? While I'm certain our people are still sugarcoating things, but they are saying 25% total cumulative economic loss over next fifteen years.

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    But they are saying 25% total cumulative economic loss over next fifteen years.
    [doubt]

At least from the climate that is, are we even going to notice much of a difference in the weather in 15 years? (The US collapsing into another civil war will falcon punch the global economy pretty good tho)

On a more upbeat note; 2 out of 12 provinces have reached max grid capability and no more solar or wind can be built in those areas. Grid upgrades are expected to take 5-7 years. Looks like we really planned ahead on this one. Big old rip.

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Ouch, took a look at our "public but only for qualified professionals, so not really public" document on projected climate change economic damages. I guess most people heard about that famous Nobel laureate who is prognosticating something like 2.5% cumulative GDP loss by end of century and all governments are taking that as gospel? While I'm certain our people are still sugarcoating things, but they are saying 25% total cumulative economic loss over next fifteen years.

25% loss to your country’s economy or the global economy? If it’s for your country, maybe it’s because it over-relies on tourism or other sectors that are more sensitive to climate change.