hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 113 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1363103110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 2403

Thread: God Hates THE WORLD (Natural Disaster Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Liare: Good with numbers and facts....

Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

All that’s done has slowed down their rate of growth. You can see that clearly in your own post.
    meh

All that’s done has slowed down their rate of growth. You can see that clearly in your own post.
    this is literately your argument.

Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

this is literately your argument.

You are dense as fuck. That’s not my argument at ALL. You are the one who bought wealth into this, and then I showed you that the wealth is mostly in Europe, and suddenly, it wasn’t important any more. So then it’s per capita, sure. That’s important. Both the US and Europe are improving, good for them. China, a\India, and the rest of the world, which outnumber us by quite a large number, are growing their per capita numbers.

Maybe you are learning a bunch of math but don’t have much experience with actual numbers, but trend lines are what they are, and what they are saying is that the West, while it can certainly do more, doesn’t fucking matter if China and India and “the rest of the world” continue to not manage waste, and pollute, etc. etc.

But sure, go on deliberately misconstruing what I’m saying because you think it wins you something.
    meh

Looking at Erich’s graph, and the shape of China’s emissions curve, and looking at Liare’s graph, and the plot of China’s expenditures on renewables... isn’t it at least possible that that curve will start trending sharply down in the next decade or two? And that if so, they may end up with a similar area under the curve as the US?

Erich, median wealth or median income are very poor figures to use here, as the US has a huge wealth disparity.

Looking at either mean wealth per person or mean income per person, US is either #3 or #9, far ahead of most of the European countries (tax havens or micronations and Norway notwithstanding).

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Erich, median wealth or median income are very poor figures to use here, as the US has a huge wealth disparity.

Looking at either mean wealth per person or mean income per person, US is either #3 or #9, far ahead of most of the European countries (tax havens or micronations and Norway notwithstanding).
    Well sure it has a massive wealth disparity. The argumentation here is around per capita pollution. Someone brought class war and "wealthy people pollute the most" which is also not in question, at least by me, either.

Unfortunately, that doesn't have much to do with a pollution profile, and while per captia is important, in the grand scheme of things, its the third world industrializing in the worst and most ecologically damaging way possible, which is happening, that is by far the more persistent and deeply looming threat. China has the money to do something about it. I'm super happy they have. I really hope they are successful in reversing the trend, but as of right now, they haven't. What about India, the rest of teeming Asia, and most of Africa/Central & South America?

Sorry, but going "lol fat americans on coal powered motor scooters are doing it all" is quite frankly, pretty fucking stupid, and I honestly feel really dirty for looking like I'm defending those people. I'm not really, just pointing out that like Europe, most of society here is putting up the solar panels and buying the hybrid vehicle and recycling and demanding less bad farming and land and waste management.

It doesn't really matter if we don't make sure all the rest of the world do too.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    But that's the point - current, worldwide economic dogma of endless capitalistic growth on a finite planed must come to an end. Period. It's just not sustainable. Besides, aren't China's CO2 emissions largely due to corporations hopping borders to shift manufacturing where they could do what they please with the enviroment and workforce? The same way EU deals with recycling garbage, ie. dumping majority of to Asia and letting they deal with it (they deal with it by dumping it into the ocean btw).

Consumer choices mean fuck all since the problem is systematic and it needs to be resolved that way. Either we do it, or large portion of biosphere dies together with our civilization.
    I think you'll find China's shift has a lot more to do with them not wanting to be an agrarian shithole anymore, and less to do with corporations shifting anything, than you might think, but yes. Ostensibly, its from rapid industrialization brought on by them building themselves as the worlds manufacturing leader. Western Corporations helped.

India is trying to do the same thing, and so will Africa, where it isn't already.
    Please stop using the "But China ..." argument. At least if you don't also mention that China undertakes measures to fight climate change that no other industrialized nation undertakes, e.g. China did plant > 10 billion trees per year over the last years.
    Want a cookie?
    Is it produced with utilizing renewable energy?
    How about a beer?

https://avbc.com/the-brewery/ecological-commitment/
    You're not really offering a German an American beer. aren't you?

But that's the point - current, worldwide economic dogma of endless capitalistic growth on a finite planed must come to an end. Period. It's just not sustainable. Besides, aren't China's CO2 emissions largely due to corporations hopping borders to shift manufacturing where they could do what they please with the enviroment and workforce? The same way EU deals with recycling garbage, ie. dumping majority of to Asia and letting they deal with it (they deal with it by dumping it into the ocean btw).

Consumer choices mean fuck all since the problem is systematic and it needs to be resolved that way. Either we do it, or large portion of biosphere dies together with our civilization.
    I think you'll find China's shift has a lot more to do with them not wanting to be an agrarian shithole anymore, and less to do with corporations shifting anything, than you might think, but yes. Ostensibly, its from rapid industrialization brought on by them building themselves as the worlds manufacturing leader. Western Corporations helped.

India is trying to do the same thing, and so will Africa, where it isn't already.
    Please stop using the "But China ..." argument. At least if you don't also mention that China undertakes measures to fight climate change that no other industrialized nation undertakes, e.g. China did plant > 10 billion trees per year over the last years.
    Want a cookie?
    How about a beer?

I will actually say their beer is quite good. Among my local favorites.
    meh

Want a cookie?
    How about a beer?

meh

Well sure it has a massive wealth disparity. The argumentation here is around per capita pollution. Someone brought class war and "wealthy people pollute the most" which is also not in question, at least by me, either.

Unfortunately, that doesn't have much to do with a pollution profile, and while per captia is important, in the grand scheme of things, its the third world industrializing in the worst and most ecologically damaging way possible, which is happening, that is by far the more persistent and deeply looming threat. China has the money to do something about it. I'm super happy they have. I really hope they are successful in reversing the trend, but as of right now, they haven't. What about India, the rest of teeming Asia, and most of Africa/Central & South America?

Sorry, but going "lol fat americans on coal powered motor scooters are doing it all" is quite frankly, pretty fucking stupid, and I honestly feel really dirty for looking like I'm defending those people. I'm not really, just pointing out that like Europe, most of society here is putting up the solar panels and buying the hybrid vehicle and recycling and demanding less bad farming and land and waste management.

It doesn't really matter if we don't make sure all the rest of the world do too.
    Yes, it does matter. Because we are the fucking filthy richest countries in the world. If we don't to it, how we are supposed to request those other countries doing the same? We need to set precedence. We need to be the bright example.

And by "we", I mean our fucking governments, because nothing you and I as a private person are doing has any relevance in comparison to the gigantic pollution by the industrial sectors. And those won't change a thing, if there won't be regulations to force them to do so. Regulations that make it unmistakably clear that they need to either implement those regulations or go out of business.

Want a cookie?
    How about a beer?

A lot of US craft breweries make a damn good beer. The average US beer is crap compared to the average German beer. But when you compare craft brewery beers, then it's far closer than any German would like to admit.
    nevar forget

Spoiler:

Want a cookie?
    How about a beer?

I know, I know. Meanwhile the U.S. has tons of good micro/small breweries. But it'll take a generation to get rid off the damage that Budweiser and Miller et al have done to the reputation of U.S. beers.

Yes, it does matter. Because we are the fucking filthy richest countries in the world. If we don't to it, how we are supposed to request those other countries doing the same? We need to set precedence. We need to be the bright example.

And by "we", I mean our fucking governments, because nothing you and I as a private person are doing has any relevance in comparison to the gigantic pollution by the industrial sectors. And those won't change a thing, if there won't be regulations to force them to do so. Regulations that make it unmistakably clear that they need to either implement those regulations or go out of business.
    No, nothing you or I do means anything individually, but all of us collectively, it does make quite a difference, all you have to look at are air quality pictures from the 70s to see the difference societal change makes.

Ofc, the populist trend (and it is all of them, not just the ones in the US) and their "just burn everything because we won't need it when Jesus comes back and takes us" worldview isn't going to help matters at all.
    meh

No, nothing you or I do means anything individually, but all of us collectively, it does make quite a difference, all you have to look at are air quality pictures from the 70s to see the difference societal change makes.
    That collective action (air quality improvements, end of acid rain, ozone layer, etc) happened because of government regulation, not a bunch of people choosing to behave better on their own.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post

That collective action (air quality improvements, end of acid rain, ozone layer, etc) happened because of government regulation, not a bunch of people choosing to behave better on their own.
    I think we’re all vehemently agreeing.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post

I think we’re all vehemently agreeing.
    meh

The point is that all those billions of people all want and work so that themselves and their children will one day have a better standard of living. They all wish they could live like Americans.

Who can be blamed for wanting to have a small measure of comfort in air-conditioning when they live in 30deg C+ places? Can parents be blamed for wanting (wishing) their children to have cars while they have to commute every day by use of public transportation that requires people to hang out of windows? This means that if they do that, and they will, because that is human nature, any laws or practices affecting well-off peoples (first world?) will not matter much when offset by the rest of the world, which has multiples of the population.

As a matter of fact, all the great progress done in the first world regarding environmental regulation means absolutely nothing when most of all it accomplished was having polluting industry relocate to places where laws are even more lax, don;t exist or are not enforced.

Rivers in China run red with unprocessed and unfiltered industrial discharge that is created to make things that are then exported to the same first world that now feels so smug in their environmental righteousness. It is kind of like environmental dummies virtue-signaling their status by buying and using electric cars that are charged from electricity more often than not sourced from coal power plants. If the pollution happens out sight with more than one degree of separation, it doesn't exist I guess.

In the meantime, behold what 1+ billion indians are doing to the oceans of the planet because they don't believe in sanitation - or maybe because they are so civilizationally retarded that they just cant stop shitting in the street:
    EDIT: This is fake news, but its funny, so I will leave it - thanks for the correction.

And this is what happens when laws are not global and first world nations do not enforce pollution tariffs for the goods they import (from companies that moved factories to more profitable locations because of reasons including more favorable environmental laws):

Pollution is bad because no matter where it is created, it ends up in the ocean or in the air, and that is bad for everyone. And no, individual action does matter - it is the only thing we can do - if everyone acted conscientiously about pollution (don't buy made in china, or don't buy at all if you don't NEED it), demand for cleaner options would drive positive change.
    Last edited by Neoo Gabriel; November 28 2019 at 03:18:21 PM.

Ecofascism is a thing, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoo Gabriel View Post
    In the meantime, behold what 1+ billion indians are doing to the oceans of the planet because they don't believe in sanitation - or maybe because they are so civilizationally retarded that they just cant stop shitting in the street:

That's a wave intensity simulation from after the December 2004 Tsunami. The original link isn't even fully cropped out of the image.
    Last edited by Boltorano; November 28 2019 at 05:01:52 AM.