hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 121 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2171111118119120121122123124 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2514

Thread: God Hates THE WORLD (Natural Disaster Thread)

But is he more popular than a plague of locusts?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...swarm-farmland

It's not all doom and gloom, we got some people trying to fix this shit.
    This weekend I came across the Pleistocene Park and their work in saving the world.

https://pleistocenepark.org/science/
    The Epic Store is amazing, I've been able to save so much money by not buying their games.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

“Even cows are wondering what is happening,” said Ndunda Makanga
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post

“Even cows are wondering what is happening,” said Ndunda Makanga
    Fires,
    Pestilence,
    Swarms of Locusts.

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    That list can go on for hours. In russia if something does well it's basically guaranteed to be dodging tax and sabotaging the competition. Including the tax gatherers themselves.
    Our little corner with its mailbox tax havens, U2 and the Rolling Stones are Dutch bands etc, finally has a euro value at it after research. We facilitate those mailbox firms to keep a extra 200 billion euro's in their pockets. The dutch state takes 4-6b in taxes of that pie.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    That list can go on for hours. In russia if something does well it's basically guaranteed to be dodging tax and sabotaging the competition. Including the tax gatherers themselves.
    Our little corner with its mailbox tax havens, U2 and the Rolling Stones are Dutch bands etc, finally has a euro value at it after research. We facilitate those mailbox firms to keep a extra 200 billion euro's in their pockets. The dutch state takes 4-6b in taxes of that pie.
    Fuck me. As money launderers go you guys are doing an awful job, movies tell me it should be at least 10%.

A rare and boring positive news post:

Marine engineers Deme Concessions is working with the Port of Oostende and the Flemish government’s investment vehicle to commission a commercial scale offshore wind-powered hydrogen plant by 2025.

The partners aim to build two prototypes before scaling up to a 300MW commercial-scale plant through their Hyport project, which would be built in the Port of Oostende's Plassendale 1 port area, 7km inland.

https://www.windpowermonthly.com/art...plans-revealed

Yes, not enough and the end of the world is still nigh. Small steps.
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

I’m still not convinced that converting wind to LH is efficient? Seems to me there has to be a pretty high loss factor, compared to just putting the energy from the turbines into the grid.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; January 31 2020 at 01:50:04 PM.

I’m still not convinced that converting wind to LH is efficient? Seems to me there has to be a pretty high loss factor, compared to just putting the energy from the turbines into the grid.
    It isn't for transport but for storage. The biggest problem with renewables is where to get the power when the air is still and overcast.

In typical Australian style we have gone from everything is on fire to everything is under water.

Massive rain fall along most of the East Coast and a Cyclone on the West Coast. Most of the fires are now out, but now there is flooding in their place.

I got at least 200mm over the past 48 hours. The water tanks are full. The dams are full. The creek that hasn't run since I bought the place has burst its banks. Fish were swimming across the paddocks headed god-knows where when I was moving the cattle. The cattle were originally ecstatic, doing their goofy glomp dance, but they got jack of constant rain and water after a few hours. They are down bunkered down in the sheds, apart from saucy moo who got into the laundry and refuses to move.

Ah Australia, bone dry and burning one day, underwater the next.

See what happens when you let yourselves get addicted to watere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    It isn't for transport but for storage. The biggest problem with renewables is where to get the power when the air is still and overcast.
    it has to beat other storage methods, and it doesn't.

the benchmark it has to beat is pumped hydro, specifically the variations of pumped hydro that doesn't rely on dams and it just doesn't.

fucking hell, compressed air beats it by a significant margin and that is, surface level, a silly idea if there ever was one. (as ever, it's not THAT silly or stupid when you dig into it, but just the phrase "lets compress air as energy storage!" gets the eyes rolling)

it's use is restricted to portable applications, only there it's gotta compete with things like LNG, only the latter has higher energy density and less transportation related problems.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

the benchmark it has to beat is pumped hydro, specifically the variations of pumped hydro that doesn't rely on dams and it just doesn't.
    Yes because it's pumped hydro that is used worldwide as an exchange market, a liquidity and a currency and sold in barrels wreaks havoc on our climate.

That's right. Let's get down this rabbit hole again!
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

Oooh, can we? It's ages since the last renewable purity war!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Oooh, can we? It's ages since the last renewable purity war!
    Not great, not terrible...

Quote Originally Posted by Yankunytjatjara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

Yes because it's pumped hydro that is used worldwide as an exchange market, a liquidity and a currency and sold in barrels wreaks havoc on our climate.

That's right. Let's get down this rabbit hole again!
    large scale deployment requires the expenditure of resources, both in the material sense and the sense of "man-hours", if your solution requires three times the resources to produce a third of the result, it's not viable and it's never going to be.

purely in terms of transportation logistics in terms of storing energy in a portable format, the significantly less energy efficient solution of using liquid natural gas generated off atmospheric CO2 is a lot more reasonable and viable, if we had the energy surplus to do it, and we wont.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

nuclear:

nuclear:

Unironically becoming uneconomical due to cheaper and more efficient renewables. It shouldn't be written off entirely because of that reliable 'always on' factor but there are storage options beyond pumped hydro and hydrogen which have a bit of potential.

I'd still like to see it as part of the mix but with modern Gen III+ designs a lot of firms may have priced themselves out of the market.

I know. It's still retarded that FreEe mARkeT and "zomg chernobyl" keeps it down.

Maybe RBMK could make a resurgence, it being a pretty cheap design