hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 84 of 114 FirstFirst ... 34748182838485868794 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 2279

Thread: God Hates THE WORLD (Natural Disaster Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Well then.

Red states get bailed out by Blue states all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I find it interesting that northern states will actually see economic growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    I find it interesting that northern states will actually see economic growth.
    where do you think people are going to be moving to ?

and you know, in the best traditions of our economic system, get ruthlessly exploited as cheap labour?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Thread is due for a rename, I suggest "Man Destroying THE WORLD (Natural Disaster Thread)".

It's about time we acknowledge the role of man-caused climate change in the growth and severity of natural disasters tbqh.

There is no God, only us men, shitting up our playpen.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs

Forget about economic impact. It's actual about pure survival:

Does Trump or other right-wing populists think a border wall will stop people migrating north under these conditions?

Source: Nature article (paywalled) via this site. It's an article from 2017 predicting the temperature in 2100. But from what I've read in the past two years, mankind seems to be on track to reach these temperatures faster. E.g. the artic permafrost and sea ice is melting much faster then predicted a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; July 16 2019 at 05:53:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Does Trump or other right-wing populists think a border wall will stop people migrating north under these conditions?
    You sure about that?

If a border wall doesn't stop migration, they will just escalate to using live ammunition against the masses. There's a reason why all these right-wing populists love Bibi

I dunno, if the Republicans came out and said “we need to start building a border wall now because ina few decades there will be tens of millions of climate refugees trying to move north,” I could at least respect their honesty.

But that’s require admitting climate change is real, and we all know the GOP won’t do that at an institutional level, not publicly, anyways.

Source: Nature article (paywalled) via this site. It's an article from 2017 predicting the temperature in 2100. But from what I've read in the past two years, mankind seems to be on track to reach these temperatures faster. E.g. the artic permafrost and sea ice is melting much faster then predicted a couple of years ago.
    i am no seeing endangered white people on this map.

well, endangered white people that matter anyway.

i have literately encountered that argument out here on the internet, it's pretty horrifying.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Alas, poor Florida, we knew him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

i am no seeing endangered white people on this map.
    Yeah, that's really the horrifying, bitter irony of climate change: those who caused it are the ones affected the least - some may even get away better than before.

If the colors were flipped, I bet all 1st world countries by now would run on > 100% renewable energy.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    You sure about that?

If a border wall doesn't stop migration, they will just escalate to using live ammunition against the masses. There's a reason why all these right-wing populists love Bibi
    The first ones might come without weapons. But I'm pretty sure the millions after that would also field a few weapons, if this happens. And in the long run, they will outnumber those militia nuts.

we perfected killing on a industrial scale more than a hundred years ago Hel, it's just a question of automating the machineguns and keeping the ammunition supply topped up.
    Viking, n.:

Also the groundwork is already being laid around the world. From US to Australia to China

I think one of the weird things is few people talk about how China is already a fascist state in every way that matters. It will only get more violent and controlling as the disruptions and migrations happen. If it inherits world leadership from the US, nothing will improve and there's every chance that things will get worse

Is it?

Take renewable energy, for example:
    China is the world's leading country in electricity production from renewable energy sources, with over double the generation of the second-ranking country, the United States. In 2013, the country had a total capacity of 378 GW of renewable power, mainly from hydroelectric and wind power. China's renewable energy sector is growing faster than its fossil fuels and nuclear power capacity.
    [...]
    In 2017, investments in renewable energy amounted to US$279.8 billion worldwide, with China accounting for US$126.6 billion or 45% of the global investments.
    And to be quite honest, in many ways, except for military, China already has taken over world leadership from the U.S. This happened both because the U.S. got out of international engagements - which I can totally understand. And then China sneakily creeping in as a replacement through development aid, weapons dealer and outright buying into lots of corporations. The latter also happens in western countries a lot. There's tons of well-recognized western brands that nowadays are Chinese.

What do you think the concentration camps for a million plus Uighurs mean?

The refusal by Euros and US left to call a duck a duck is really fucking weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    we perfected killing on a industrial scale more than a hundred years ago Hel, it's just a question of automating the machineguns and keeping the ammunition supply topped up.
    I mean, haven’t you played Factorio?

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    What do you think the concentration camps for a million plus Uighurs mean?

The refusal by Euros and US left to call a duck a duck is really fucking weird.

Just to be pedantic, is it fair to call China’s brand of authoritarianism Fascism? Yes, it’s an authoritarian, approaching totalitarian government, and no, it’s no longer particularly left (so it isn’t Maoism or Stalinism), but I’m not sure that there’s quite enough nationilatic and religious zeal coming out of China for the F word to apply.

Really, China just seems like China being China, the way they have been for most of their long history. That is, beurraucratic, authoritarian, and hierarchical, with little regard for human rights... but also uniquely Chinese and curiously moderate in some respects. :dunno: