hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 58 of 89 FirstFirst ... 8485556575859606168 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1777

Thread: God Hates THE WORLD (Natural Disaster Thread)

"I'm 30, I don't have nor I need a driving license and instead bike/take the train everywhere I need to" crew checking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    "I'm 30 and still a poorfag" crew checking in.
    fyp

"I'm 30, I don't have nor I need a driving license and instead bike/take the train everywhere I need to" crew checking in.
    Well, you certainly can't take the bus to the mammoth hunt.

(Too meta?)
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Well, you certainly can't take the bus to the mammoth hunt.

(Too meta?)

I used to think the same way. I figured there were enough idiots on the road & didn't want to add one more.
    I was in my mid-30s when I finally learned, in my case it was primarily because my parents are getting old & may need me to come home quickly.
    It can be a little expensive but I've never regretted it, I enjoy driving & the place I work at now has me on the list to drive the company van if I'm needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    both the truck, and the car overtaking are going far too fast for those conditions.

seriously folks, it's a literal snow covered road with 100-150m of visibility, if you're doing more than 50 kmph, you're doing it fucking wrong.

This is actually a distressingly common problem here. People just don't like to slow down, even when visibility is poor. There was a horrific accident some years back where thick smoke from some wildfires was covering the highway. A short distance into the smoke, traffic was at a standstill. Most people had the good sense to slow down, and traffic came to a stop a short ways into the smoke.

A truck driver failed to slow down appropriately, hit that stopped traffic while still doing 50-60 mph, and killed about a dozen people.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Netjerenbau View Post
    I used to think the same way. I figured there were enough idiots on the road & didn't want to add one more.
    I was in my mid-30s when I finally learned, in my case it was primarily because my parents are getting old & may need me to come home quickly.
    It can be a little expensive but I've never regretted it, I enjoy driving & the place I work at now has me on the list to drive the company van if I'm needed.
    I did the opposite.

I ran a car constantly as a poorfag in my 20's. Once I started pulling in good money in my 30's I realised all my work was either remote or in London and all my social activities were either in walking distance or (again) in London. Even my Kids school is 10 minutes walk from where I live.

I went for a 5 month period of running a car and never using it, so three years ago I sold it and now use public transport, bike and feet to get everywhere on a day to day basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    I did the opposite.

I ran a car constantly as a poorfag in my 20's. Once I started pulling in good money in my 30's I realised all my work was either remote or in London and all my social activities were either in walking distance or (again) in London. Even my Kids school is 10 minutes walk from where I live.

I went for a 5 month period of running a car and never using it, so three years ago I sold it and now use public transport, bike and feet to get everywhere on a day to day basis.
    Bike, feet and public transport for me aswell, In holland we have decent car rental programs for longer term. Short rides i just Uber (fuck overpriced taxi's idgaf).

Just having a car in front of my house, just parking space, would be 90 eurobux a month, i dont think i have ever rented a car more than 5 times a year. Easy choice.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

i probably have the best of all worlds then

work as a driver of various cars and vans and trucks but only owned a car when I was 20 and then i realized what a bottomless pit it is. somebody else needs to take care of all the repairs and expenses, can borrow one if i need it, mountainbike bike allday erryday otherwise.

WIN
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post

work as a driver of various cars and vans and trucks but only owned a car when I was 20 and then i realized what a bottomless pit it is. somebody else needs to take care of all the repairs and expenses, can borrow one if i need it, mountainbike bike allday erryday otherwise.

WIN
    He that is just about what i say about renting vs. owning a house (lol bank owns it).
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    I did the opposite.

Bike, feet and public transport for me aswell, In holland we have decent car rental programs for longer term. Short rides i just Uber (fuck overpriced taxi's idgaf).

Just having a car in front of my house, just parking space, would be 90 eurobux a month, i dont think i have ever rented a car more than 5 times a year. Easy choice.
    was in amsterdam last weekend and can confirm that the taxi prices are insane, but public transport is also good insane

WIN
    He that is just about what i say about renting vs. owning a house (lol bank owns it).
    The main difference being cars typically don't hold their value and houses are an appreciating asset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

WIN
    The main difference being cars typically don't hold their value and houses are an appreciating asset.
    ...and can be rented to others too.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.

omg please trigger warning that shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Itt people realize other people have different needs and ability to use public transport. I for example ma fucked without a car.

My friends who live damn near the center of a major East Coast City don't own a car, and get by just fine via their feet, Uber, Taxi and Public Transport.

Of course, one works from home (No commute), the other is on almost constant travel all around the country and uses rental cars there (so no commute at home either).

Living even a little bit outside a major metropolitan area, a car is pretty much mandatory in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    My friends who live damn near the center of a major East Coast City don't own a car, and get by just fine via their feet, Uber, Taxi and Public Transport.

Of course, one works from home (No commute), the other is on almost constant travel all around the country and uses rental cars there (so no commute at home either).

Living even a little bit outside a major metropolitan area, a car is pretty much mandatory in the United States.
    The minimum amount of time it would take me to get where I need to get, mostly, with a car (I do mostly work from home, so no commute), would be about 55 minutes. This honestly assumes miraculous traffic conditions. Like, I get that time coming from band practice in the city, at like 12 am, not during work hours. During work hours, when I might have to go to meetings, all around the Metro area, I'd be getting a 1.5 hour + endeavor

Unless I timed my two bus, transfer to light rail, transfer to regional rail (exactly two a morning express train) that path takes 2 hours minimum. If I blow the express train, for some reason, it turns into a 3 hour adventure. There are just too many stops. We're traveling about 100 kms as the crow flies, and probably close to 160 kms as the transit goes.

It's nice, there is WiFi on the trains, and even refreshments on the regional train, but I don't have the luxury of time. I suppose I could Uber to the main train station in 15 minutes or so, but that's sketchy at rush hour in the morning which is when the Express trains are.

That said, the Light rail system and buses are super cheap. We use them for like nights out occasionally, or to our local massive sports arena, which happily is on the direct line form my local station. The regional train adds a bit, and a monthly ticket covering those zones isn't like that much cheaper than the gas would be, assuming you aren't a dildo who commutes to an office an an "custom" F250.

People (foreign types) who come to visit me here are always absolutely blown away by the amount of driving without getting there you can do here. Like, it doesn't really register how big it is until you actually see it.
    meh

Why do you live 100km away from your workplace though

Also it's worth noting there was an actual conspiracy to hamstring public transportation in the USA, and it mostly succeeded. It's part of the reason why it's super retarded to expect poor people who have no agency in the system we live in to pay higher fuel taxes for driving a car when there is basically no alternative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...car_conspiracy

Another sidenote, you can travel to Paris from Amsterdam (500km) in 3.5 hours by train for 15 euros

https://www.themayor.eu/en/from-amst...sneyland-paris
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; February 10 2019 at 05:48:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Why do you live 100km away from your workplace though
    Because I choose to. I choose where I live based on where I want to live. Not on where I might find work. Its not my everyday workplace. I would never agree to that commute. It's the most common place I need to go to meet people occasionally, where, quite frankly, far more green methods of meeting, like video conferencing, can't be used. If I was in a position where I might need to go to like the office everyday, I'd find work closer to home.

Also it's worth noting there was an actual conspiracy to hamstring public transportation in the USA, and it mostly succeeded. It's part of the reason why it's super retarded to expect poor people who have no agency in the system we live in to pay higher fuel taxes for driving a car when there is basically no alternative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...car_conspiracy
    I'm aware of the car conspiracy thing. I think it's dumb to blame something that happened like 70 years ago for it now. The lack of BART around the entire bay area is down to the individual voters of San Mateo County, who NIMBY'd it to death in the 70s.

The alternative to higher fuel taxes is EV, and phasing out the ICE car over time for something cleaner. I'm not sure how you expect to get there without higher taxes. Like, how do you force peopel to quit smoking, becasue they are too stupid to realize they are literally paying to kill themselves? This change over time will force the change in behavior. We've decentralized our transport in the US, for better, or for worse, and there are actually efficiency arguments to be made both ways, in terms of centralized or decentralized transport assuming you have the graph processing capability, which we now do. We still have to pay for it's maintenance, so fuel tax it is. Tax should pay for infrastructure, and most of the stuff in the US moves by road network.

Another sidenote, you can travel to Paris from Amsterdam (500km) in 3.5 hours by train for 15 euros

https://www.themayor.eu/en/from-amst...sneyland-paris
    Yes, but you might have to get into hand to hand combat with terrorists.
    meh

The lack of BART around the entire bay area is down to the individual voters of San Mateo County, who NIMBY'd it to death in the 70s.
    Donít forget Marin County, as well. The Richmond line was originally intended to go across the bay to San Rafael and then fork and run along 101.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; February 10 2019 at 06:56:37 PM.