hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: God Hates America (Natural Disaster Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Whilst Hurricanes are much worse than even the worst north sea storms, the Dutch are in a worse starting position by being below sea level beforehand.

Id like to think that slightly more stringent building codes and a more sturdy levee system might have saved some headaches in a place like Houston over the past few years.
    While you're thinking that keep in mind that the 50+ inches of rain texas received translates to 127cm. Then remember how they measure rain volume. A proper leevee system doesn't matter when the rainfall amount for the surrounding area is chest high, the river isn't the problem here. The problem is the overwhelming need to flood the rivers not the overwhelming need to prevent your river from flooding you.
    Last edited by Tellenta; September 8 2017 at 08:51:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Irma doing a number on the Carribbean at the moment, and then this pilot arrives on the scene.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...es-puerto-rico

Dunno how he managed to get the plane in the air with balls that big

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    what flight-radar is not showing is the pair of C-5 Galaxy's flying below, one on each side, to each carrying one of the pilots balls.

that's why it could take off.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Whilst Hurricanes are much worse than even the worst north sea storms, the Dutch are in a worse starting position by being below sea level beforehand.

Id like to think that slightly more stringent building codes and a more sturdy levee system might have saved some headaches in a place like Houston over the past few years.
    That would require government spending on a public good, which would require taxes and political will to help people generally with no real political upside.

Its the USA.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/0....html?referer=

Central America is still America right?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I was referring to Houston. I made an assumption about the thread based on the title :shrug:
    no, you weren't - you responded to my post 'people shit on america' - i don't see that in the thread title.
    You being deliberately retarded here teds or having a mind-fuck?

It's looking like a real life Godzilla on some super strong tren.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=40.5;-51...&t=20170911/03

What an awesome web site. Scary stuff though if its predictions are correct.
    Last edited by Sandzibar; September 8 2017 at 10:23:45 AM.

I'm still amazed by the building materials people use on Carribean islands. They get hit by a hurricane twice a year and they keep living in these shity trailer parks that get blown away every single time. Why not make a solid concrete structure with small windows? It would withstand the storm. I mean it's literally some rain and some wind

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    I'm still amazed by the building materials people use on Carribean islands. They get hit by a hurricane twice a year and they keep living in these shity trailer parks that get blown away every single time. Why not make a solid concrete structure with small windows? It would withstand the storm. I mean it's literally some rain and some wind

Spoiler:
    So sort of designed like this?

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post

Spoiler:
    "Why havent they tried not being poor?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=50.4;-13...&t=20170911/03 The Irish don't care.

There's a reason the Atlantic coast of Ireland is barely inhabited (even though it's gorgeous).

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=50.4;-13...&t=20170911/03 The Irish don't care.
    I guess Irish cliffs give 0 shits.

Downtown Houston
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    There's a reason the Atlantic coast of Ireland is barely inhabited (even though it's gorgeous).
    That's not true. Lots of towns and villages on the coast + Galway city. Then there's the islanders. Granted most of these places are built where there's a bit of shelter or some cliffs/elevation. To say it's barely populated is just strange.

it's also just true. obviously some people live there but the population density is extremely low.

Quote Originally Posted by spitroast View Post
    I'll crosspost this from the daytthread lest it gets lost....

Right after a huge CME....

Are you suggesting that the solar storm and the earthquake are related?

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post

That would require government spending on a public good, which would require taxes and political will to help people generally with no real political upside.

Its the USA.
    What would the cost estimate be for an effective Storm Protection system covering the gulf coast from Las Palomas up and around to the Atlantic coast just north of Long Island (very rough estimate, 9,000+ miles of needed coastal protection)?

Nice strawman.

The entire coast does not need protection, just the densely populated parts.

Probably looking at a few hundred billion to a trillion dollars, spent over a decade or two. Well within our economic capabilities, just not our political capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spitroast View Post
    I'll crosspost this from the daytthread lest it gets lost....

Right after a huge CME....

Are you suggesting that the solar storm and the earthquake are related?
    I'm not suggesting it myself but some observers are looking into links between the two