hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 363

Thread: God Hates America (Natural Disaster Thread)

  1. #141
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    17,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Whilst Hurricanes are much worse than even the worst north sea storms, the Dutch are in a worse starting position by being below sea level beforehand.
    So is inland Florida
    You mean the southern part? That's the everglades swamp. Or Miami. But soon they'll be one and the same.

    Oooo I just remembered I know someone who lives in the everglades.... Stay safe cow lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  2. #142
    SAI Peregrinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13, 2011
    Posts
    1,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    And Alistair is right, The Netherlands doesn't get storms like that and certainly isn't prepared for it, but that's because it doesn't have to be. The windspeeds in Irma are roughly twice as fast as the kind of storms you get on the coast of the North Sea, which is quite a difference. The storm surge would not be a problem though, as our dikes facing the North Sea are about 40 ft high. Those are designed to cope with 23 ft waves on top of a 17 ft tide (the once in 10,000 years storm), so would easily take a 30 ft storm surge.
    https://twitter.com/NHC_TAFB/status/906012748332515328

    50 ft waves on top of 20 ft storm surge. That would overtop the dikes, and that typically leads to collapse.
    Last edited by SAI Peregrinus; September 8 2017 at 05:07:21 AM.

  3. #143
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    20,471
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I was referring to Houston. I made an assumption about the thread based on the title :shrug:
    no, you weren't - you responded to my post 'people shit on america' - i don't see that in the thread title.
    teds you gotta turn that frowny potatoeface upside down m8.

    I agree with Aea - it was pretty clear he was talking about houston, CryingEagles and STRONKDUTCHWINDMILLING aside.

  4. #144
    Rakshasa The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Posts
    12,415
    Earthquake of magnitude 8.1 strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-41197831

    Looks like illegal immigrants have sent remittances back home.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

  5. #145
    spitroast's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8, 2015
    Location
    Angry Northern Bastard, UK
    Posts
    2,465
    I'll crosspost this from the daytthread lest it gets lost....

    Right after a huge CME....



  6. #146
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    4,156
    Irma doing a number on the Carribbean at the moment, and then this pilot arrives on the scene.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...es-puerto-rico

    Dunno how he managed to get the plane in the air with balls that big

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  7. #147
    Donor Tellenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    16,060
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Whilst Hurricanes are much worse than even the worst north sea storms, the Dutch are in a worse starting position by being below sea level beforehand.

    Id like to think that slightly more stringent building codes and a more sturdy levee system might have saved some headaches in a place like Houston over the past few years.
    While you're thinking that keep in mind that the 50+ inches of rain texas received translates to 127cm. Then remember how they measure rain volume. A proper leevee system doesn't matter when the rainfall amount for the surrounding area is chest high, the river isn't the problem here. The problem is the overwhelming need to flood the rivers not the overwhelming need to prevent your river from flooding you.
    Last edited by Tellenta; September 8 2017 at 07:51:00 AM.

  8. #148
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,730
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Irma doing a number on the Carribbean at the moment, and then this pilot arrives on the scene.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...es-puerto-rico

    Dunno how he managed to get the plane in the air with balls that big

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    what flight-radar is not showing is the pair of C-5 Galaxy's flying below, one on each side, to each carrying one of the pilots balls.

    that's why it could take off.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  9. #149
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,027
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Whilst Hurricanes are much worse than even the worst north sea storms, the Dutch are in a worse starting position by being below sea level beforehand.

    Id like to think that slightly more stringent building codes and a more sturdy levee system might have saved some headaches in a place like Houston over the past few years.
    That would require government spending on a public good, which would require taxes and political will to help people generally with no real political upside.

    Its the USA.

  10. #150
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    17,803
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/0....html?referer=

    Central America is still America right?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  11. #151
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    28,866
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I was referring to Houston. I made an assumption about the thread based on the title :shrug:
    no, you weren't - you responded to my post 'people shit on america' - i don't see that in the thread title.
    You being deliberately retarded here teds or having a mind-fuck?



  12. #152

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    2,680


    It's looking like a real life Godzilla on some super strong tren.

  13. #153
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,551
    https://www.ventusky.com/?p=40.5;-51...&t=20170911/03

    What an awesome web site. Scary stuff though if its predictions are correct.
    Last edited by Sandzibar; September 8 2017 at 09:23:45 AM.

  14. #154
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    URINE ALLIANCE
    Posts
    6,839
    I'm still amazed by the building materials people use on Carribean islands. They get hit by a hurricane twice a year and they keep living in these shity trailer parks that get blown away every single time. Why not make a solid concrete structure with small windows? It would withstand the storm. I mean it's literally some rain and some wind

      Spoiler:


  15. #155
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    I'm still amazed by the building materials people use on Carribean islands. They get hit by a hurricane twice a year and they keep living in these shity trailer parks that get blown away every single time. Why not make a solid concrete structure with small windows? It would withstand the storm. I mean it's literally some rain and some wind

      Spoiler:
    So sort of designed like this?


  16. #156
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    I'm still amazed by the building materials people use on Carribean islands. They get hit by a hurricane twice a year and they keep living in these shity trailer parks that get blown away every single time. Why not make a solid concrete structure with small windows? It would withstand the storm. I mean it's literally some rain and some wind

      Spoiler:
    "Why havent they tried not being poor?"

  17. #157

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    5,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    https://www.ventusky.com/?p=40.5;-51...&t=20170911/03

    What an awesome web site. Scary stuff though if its predictions are correct.
    https://www.ventusky.com/?p=50.4;-13...&t=20170911/03 The Irish don't care.

  18. #158
    Donor Shiodome's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    I am a white male.
    Posts
    4,770
    There's a reason the Atlantic coast of Ireland is barely inhabited (even though it's gorgeous).

  19. #159
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,551
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    https://www.ventusky.com/?p=40.5;-51...&t=20170911/03

    What an awesome web site. Scary stuff though if its predictions are correct.
    https://www.ventusky.com/?p=50.4;-13...&t=20170911/03 The Irish don't care.
    I guess Irish cliffs give 0 shits.

  20. #160

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    5,783
    Downtown Houston
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •