hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives. (Edgy title)

Knives. (Edgy title)

Dunno why, but I've always wanted to buy myself a nice knife. Probably the same motivation for most gun people, they're fascinating (who has ever had a penknife on a table i front of them and not fiddled with it?) and I find many of them aesthetically pleasing. There's also just something so ultimately functional and satisfying about a knife that I feel it's just something worth having for it's own sake.

Unfortunately I was born in the UK, a place that seems to have some pretty odd knife laws to my untrained eyes. As far as i Can tell the law is 'you can only own a knife if it's a danger to yourself'. i.e non-locking 3" blade. the fuck do i want a blade that won't stay in place for? You can have a fixed blade if you can justify it, but the criteria seems so vague that i want to steer clear of that until next year when I'll be camping/climbing a lot more.

Anyway, I've been looking at:

ECD 5 - like the blade shape but not the skeleton handle

Grizzly Bushcraft MKII - like the blade and handle more, but not the plastic look

Interested in UK/EU recommendations, but if you shitheads in the rest of the world want to make me feel bad with your nicer knives feel free

Don't buy knives you fucking reject.

Knife crime is a massive issue in the UK.

that's ok, i'm neither violent nor a criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    that's ok, i'm neither violent nor a criminal.
    Thats okay, I'm sure anyone who breaks into your house and finds it won't use it in a violent crime.

They wouldnt break into his house if he had more knives!

I'm sure they won't also use my steak knives, chef's knife, hatchet, chainsaw, fillet knife and knitting needles. Glad we agree.

I'm sure they won't also use my steak knives, chef's knife, hatchet, chainsaw, fillet knife and knitting needles. Glad we agree.
    The knives you posted at the top are concealable and portable, none of the others mentioned above are.

so the criminals constantly breaking into my house won't find them then will they. perfect!

Is Sp4m being serious?

Some days it's hard to tell on FHC anymore......

What are you going to use the knives for?

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Can't think why a knife designed primarily as a weapon might be legally problematic....

inb4 fistknives being used as a tool in a tool thread
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    nothing in particular. most likely just opening stuff, prying stuff apart. the kinds of things you use a tool like a knife for. I work 3 different jobs (1 paid, 2 voluntary) and find myself pretty regularly having to going and find 'something' to open/pry/cut, and end up trying to pry open paint cans with scissors or open boxes using pens/keys. a simple sturdy blade would be nice to have.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    The knife I carry in my webbing is this one https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-...hoCZcgQAvD_BwE

Great little thing also a 25 year warranty had it around 10 years and it's still going strong very dependable in field craft

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Unless we are talking about collecting/collectible knives then I dont see a reason to get one unless you have a use case; outdoor, hunting, fishing, carpenter/builder etc.
    Buying them to sit there and fiddle/look at some high tech switchblade with carbon grip and a certificate from being used in 'nam/iraq/afg just makes you a (potential) psyko. :P

I have several and also a multi-tool (Gerber is king! Admittedly some of those look pretty darn cool) but they are nothing special, they are just very functional and safe for what I use them for (outdoor/hiking and fishing).
    Sweden have fairly strict laws as well, I cant remember details but length of blade, mechanics of blade (no stiletto/auto switch blades) and you cant carry one unless its too/from anything that relates to its usage (see above) comes to mind.

But then again, I'm a practical user of knives/tools so I might not get it. I've known some people that had a fascination with knives I just never understood why.
    When it comes to beauty I'm currently looking at replacing one of my older with something like this;

http://www.arcticshop.se/pub_images/...skniv-95-L.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Leatherman multis are the best you whore

Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    nothing in particular. most likely just opening stuff, prying stuff apart. the kinds of things you use a tool like a knife for. I work 3 different jobs (1 paid, 2 voluntary) and find myself pretty regularly having to going and find 'something' to open/pry/cut, and end up trying to pry open paint cans with scissors or open boxes using pens/keys. a simple sturdy blade would be nice to have.

Moraknife, can probably buy at halfords or something similar. No need to get something fancy if you're mostly going to abuse the blade anyway.

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post
    The knives you posted at the top are concealable and portable, none of the others mentioned above are.
    They're hunting/bushcraft knives not the stabmaster 4000.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Leatherman multis are the best you whore

This

obv nobody in this thread has been stabbed so whatever.

fucking idiots.