hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X4: Foundations

X4: Foundations

At their "X-Con" in their HQ last weekend, Egosoft unveiled their plans for their latest game - X4:Foundations.

X4 is merging the game engine they developed for, and during updates to, X Rebirth, their new vulkan-based graphics engine, various features Rebirth players missed from X3-era games, and expansions to features introduced in Rebirth.

Major changes from X Rebirth include being able to fly all ships (dunno if that includes Xenon though), an entirely new map-based system for sharing info with the player and allowing players to organise their assets, destructible stations, and factions building stations in response to changes in the economy.

Here are some links in case you'd like to look up some more stuff:

Official X4 website that summaries some main changes in the game (with hyperlinks to elaborations).

Videos of the presentations and Q&A sessions (separately in English and German).

Photos taken by TVCD at X-Con and kindly shared with everyone.

Some presentation screenshots and related thoughts by Juggernaut93.
    Last edited by Sparkus Volundar; August 29 2017 at 02:55:44 PM.
    Now I have a T2 gun. Ho, ho, ho.

SHC '10 and proud.

so they are trying again, the mad bastards, let's hope they dont cock it up this time.

it's also mildly amusing to look at those xcon pictures, so many pasty-faced nerds, some stereotypes really are real.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

On my instabuy list.

I hope this ends up being a real successor to X3, with Rebirth used mainly as a warning.

Ahhh, a story as old as time. Niche game developer gets it into their heads that if they could just appeal to the broadest base possible they could get so many more sales. But in the process of trying to broaden their appeal they cut out many of the things their core base liked. But that's okay, the new users will be better right?

Oh look, our brand is associated with the niche games we've been making for decades and, to the average consumer, our new title looks like the same thing and they still aren't interested. And we've also driven away our existing customers in the process. Let's make a new game that appeals to them again and maybe we'll stop hemorrhaging money.

Hahaha get fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Ahhh, a story as old as time. Niche game developer gets it into their heads that if they could just appeal to the broadest base possible they could get so many more sales. But in the process of trying to broaden their appeal they cut out many of the things their core base liked. But that's okay, the new users will be better right?

Oh look, our brand is associated with the niche games we've been making for decades and, to the average consumer, our new title looks like the same thing and they still aren't interested. And we've also driven away our existing customers in the process. Let's make a new game that appeals to them again and maybe we'll stop hemorrhaging money.

Hahaha get fucked.
    Uh, no.

It didn't fail just because it was different from the old, it was a crap game that didn't work. That's all there is to it.

Also wishing failure on games and devs, fucking classy you dickbag.

Oh no Isyel called me a mean name. Must be a day that ends in "y".
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.

Hahaha get fucked.
    tl:dr

game dev learns from mistakes, releases good game

this is somehow a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I hope this ends up being a real successor to X3, with Rebirth used mainly as a warning.
    There was a blog on their site a few months ago when they first announced they were working on a new game. They admitted they fucked up with X: Afterbirth and were planning to make a proper successor to X3 with all the things that people had asked for, including capital ship control and end game fleet management. It remains to be seen whether they can keep the game competitive without multiplayer support though.

Quote Originally Posted by friznit View Post
    There was a blog on their site a few months ago when they first announced they were working on a new game. They admitted they fucked up with X: Afterbirth and were planning to make a proper successor to X3 with all the things that people had asked for, including capital ship control and end game fleet management. It remains to be seen whether they can keep the game competitive without multiplayer support though.
    Imo this is the game's main draw. People called Xs eve offline for a reason.

Fair enough I suppose, though I would like at least a limited coop option but then I'm a sucker for coop games.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post

Hahaha get fucked.
    tl:dr

game dev learns from mistakes, releases good game

this is somehow a bad thing
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

they built the controls and the game for Console. then horrible PC adaptation when Console market wasnt working out for them.

Consoles ruin lives.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    I must have some slav in me.

I must have some slav in me.
    Hold ma beer.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    they built the controls and the game for Console. then horrible PC adaptation when Console market wasnt working out for them.

Consoles ruin lives.
    On the other hand, you can't play Bloodborne on PC

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post

Imo this is the game's main draw. People called Xs eve offline for a reason.
    C. will binge watch previous rebels just for this reason.

I've never complained about a game as much as I complained about X-abortion.

But then again the only reason I complained is because I spent many nights listening to my friend talk about his X-3 empire and I was so, so disappointed.

Fair enough I suppose, though I would like at least a limited coop option but then I'm a sucker for coop games.
    Yeah. On the one hand, having a coop version for a few friends would be awesome, but on the other I reckon it would be a huge sinkhole to throw dev resources into and there would be a strong possibility of some bright spark going "hey, if we're doing this why not make it an MMO!", thus killing it forever.

Yeah. On the one hand, having a coop version for a few friends would be awesome, but on the other I reckon it would be a huge sinkhole to throw dev resources into and there would be a strong possibility of some bright spark going "hey, if we're doing this why not make it an MMO!", thus killing it forever.
    Yeah that killed Freelancer proper good.

https://discoverygc.com