hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Thursday] why are some teachers so fucking awful ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Trees: fucking ungrateful bastards.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/hamp...illed-13512124

"Conservationist who fought for forests killed when tree fell on his car, inquest told"
    He died how he lived.

Less than a week:

Bought a moka pot in preparation.
    nevar forget

Presentation went well, people seemed interested and asked questions. Now to figure out what to talk about next time I do one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    One of my teachers is shit-scared of computers and hands out everything on paper. Then she spends 20 minutes explaining something that is actually described in a single line of text and seems to think that group assignments is the best thing since sliced bread.

Did i mention a unhealthy fixation on commas, as in we've spend 10 lessons out of 20 on commas so far ?
    What is the subject? Because the only subject I can think of that may go absolutely nuts over commas and their rules is linguistics. And even then it would be excessive. Which would beg the question, why are you taking a linguistics course?
    on my linguistics degree we'd have been more likely to study what common misuses of the comma means than get anal about one narrow language specific grammar set.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Trees: fucking ungrateful bastards.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/hamp...illed-13512124

"Conservationist who fought for forests killed when tree fell on his car, inquest told"
    He died how he lived.
    something something betreeyl, something something treeson.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    One of my teachers is shit-scared of computers and hands out everything on paper. Then she spends 20 minutes explaining something that is actually described in a single line of text and seems to think that group assignments is the best thing since sliced bread.

Did i mention a unhealthy fixation on commas, as in we've spend 10 lessons out of 20 on commas so far ?
    What is the subject? Because the only subject I can think of that may go absolutely nuts over commas and their rules is linguistics. And even then it would be excessive. Which would beg the question, why are you taking a linguistics course?
    on my linguistics degree we'd have been more likely to study what common misuses of the comma means than get anal about one narrow language specific grammar set.
    Yeah as someone who did plenty of linguistics at uni I've never seen someone get particularly fixated on sth like the comma.

Doesn't help that Japanese has the best comma rule ever I suppose, "use whenever you'd make a pause in speech."

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

Yeah as someone who did plenty of linguistics at uni I've never seen someone get particularly fixated on sth like the comma.

Doesn't help that Japanese has the best comma rule ever I suppose, "use whenever you'd make a pause in speech."

it's quite the clusterfuck

but really, i read out the text and stuff commas in when i need a break and it seems to make sense while getting something like 70% right, cba with something like eight formal rules on how to handle comma.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

it's quite the clusterfuck

but really, i read out the text and stuff commas in when i need a break and it seems to make sense while getting something like 70% right, cba with something like eight formal rules on how to handle comma.
    To be fair my Danish born and raised korean teacher who taught me the basics of Norwegian (I know, lol) kept going on about how much of a clusterfuck Danish can be and how we should be glad we're studying one of the other Nordic languages (most people in the class were Swedish majors)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    To be fair my Danish born and raised korean teacher who taught me the basics of Norwegian (I know, lol) kept going on about how much of a clusterfuck Danish can be and how we should be glad we're studying one of the other Nordic languages (most people in the class were Swedish majors)

How can we best disguise hazing?

the biggest problem with the written part of the Danish language is the amount of garbage we've imported from the Germans.

the fact that the language have silent syllables (D's and H's, the latter influenced by dialect), soft D and hard D is just part of the fun, you see it's kept complex and such a significant weight on pronunciation for our amusement when foreigners have to learn the language, now please say "Rød grød med fløde" three times in rapid succession.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Rød grød med fløde
    Rød grød med fløde
    Rød grød med fløde

Eeez
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Rød grød med fløde
    Rød grød med fløde
    Rød grød med fløde

Eeez
    today i learned that Stoffl is actually a rogue artificial intelligence that speaks trough failheap.
    Viking, n.:

Well what one studies is highly dependent on who you study under. Our head of the linguistics department was huge on comparitive linguistics.

Hence me pointing to wals.info every chance I get (and because it is awesome).
    the biggest problem with the written part of the Danish language is the amount of garbage we've imported from the Germans.

the fact that the language have silent syllables (D's and H's, the latter influenced by dialect), soft D and hard D is just part of the fun, you see it's kept complex and such a significant weight on pronunciation for our amusement when foreigners have to learn the language, now please say "Rød grød med fløde" three times in rapid succession.
    I hope you're not blaming us for your silent syllables, because German uses phonemic orthography.

But if you guys imported the grammar, I feel sorry for you.
    nevar forget

I hope you're not blaming us for your silent syllables, because German uses phonemic orthography.

oh no, the silent syllables are our own invention and a direct result of how he spoken and written language have drifted apart the last 300 years, no we grapped our punctuation and commas from you lot, as well as some but not all of the grammar, making the whole thing a blend of German and Scandinavian style grammar with a sizeable number of exceptions and special cases where the answer to "how do you know that ?" is literately "memorize it, fucker!".

and then there's the numbers, oh my fucking $DEITY, what the fuck where my ancestors thinking when they came up with that ?

Last edited by Liare; August 25 2017 at 12:08:31 PM.
    Viking, n.:

oh no, the silent syllables are our own invention and a direct result of how he spoken and written language have drifted apart the last 300 years, no we grapped our punctuation and commas from you lot, as well as some but not all of the grammar, making the whole thing a blend of German and Scandinavian style grammar with a sizeable number of exceptions and special cases where the answer to "how do you know that ?" is literately "memorize it, fucker!".

and then there's the numbers, oh my fucking $DEITY, what the fuck where my ancestors thinking when they came up with that ?

Uhm, you do realize that Scandinavian languages are Germanic and thus bound to have a lot in common with German and modern Danish being very close geographically is bound to be closer related to modern German than for example Norwegian.

Indo-European language family tree:
      Spoiler:

Also you have no case declensions beyond the possessive. BE VERY GLAD.
    nevar forget

Norwegian basically works like English a lot of the time to be fair, it's quite nice, so yeah i'm not surprised the one closer to germany would be more fucky.

Be all glad you don't have to deal with slavic languages.
    Last edited by Isyel; August 25 2017 at 02:21:58 PM.

Written danish and norwegian are more or less the same language, swedish is more unique (though not exactly hard to understand).
    Its just that the danes talk gibberish, so verbally they stand out the most. Then again danish is incomprehensible even to other danes.

Kamelåså

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Norwegian basically works like English a lot of the time to be fair, it's quite nice, so yeah i'm not surprised the one closer to germany would be more fucky.

C'mon having 6 different cases is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post

C'mon having 6 different cases is fun!
    You're a very special case