hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Thursday] why are some teachers so fucking awful ?

[Thursday] why are some teachers so fucking awful ?

one of mine is shit-scared of computers and hand out everything on paper, spends 20 minutes explaining something that is actually described in a single line of text and seem to think that group assignments is the best thing since sliced bread.

did i mention a unhealthy fixation on commas, as in we've spend 10 lessons out of 20 on commas so far ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    one of mine is shit-scared of computers and hand out everything on paper, spends 20 minutes explaining something that is actually described in a single line of text and seem to think that group assignments is the best thing since sliced bread.

did i mention a unhealthy fixation on commas, as in we've spend 10 lessons out of 20 on commas so far ?
    Is he Korean or something? Joking of course but this country is so fucking fascinated with team/group assignments its downright nauseating and absolutely love spending forever on fiddly pointless details while ignoring the bigger picture.

They piss me off to no end.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

When I was in uni we didn't have too many group projects, one a semester usually. I was pretty lucky that my usual group was good at it too and we only had one guy who didn't pull his weight as much as everyone else, he'd get there in the end but it took him a bit longer than others due to laziness or something.

Tonight I'm speaking at a user group, normally I don't have a problem talking about things to random strangers since it's part of my job but suddenly being in front of 40+ people who actually know something about what I'm talking about has me a bit nervous. I'm sure it won't be too bad but still has me worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

Is he Korean or something? Joking of course but this country is so fucking fascinated with team/group assignments its downright nauseating and absolutely love spending forever on fiddly pointless details while ignoring the bigger picture.

They piss me off to no end.

she is Norwegian, i figured that was basically implied by her being awful?

we've chopped the assignment up in appropriate bits and people got to pick whatever piqued their interests, this is apparently not "the right way" but she's been unable to articulate the "right way" in a manner a bunch of carpenters and blacksmiths can understand, so we're doing it our way (me being a former sys-admin is the oddball btw)

i don't mind group assignments, that's fine but i prefer them in a PBL context

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    When I was in uni we didn't have too many group projects, one a semester usually. I was pretty lucky that my usual group was good at it too and we only had one guy who didn't pull his weight as much as everyone else, he'd get there in the end but it took him a bit longer than others due to laziness or something.

Tonight I'm speaking at a user group, normally I don't have a problem talking about things to random strangers since it's part of my job but suddenly being in front of 40+ people who actually know something about what I'm talking about has me a bit nervous. I'm sure it won't be too bad but still has me worried.
    the trick is just dont lie to em m8.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

twatter tags don't work....

One of my teachers is shit-scared of computers and hands out everything on paper. Then she spends 20 minutes explaining something that is actually described in a single line of text and seems to think that group assignments is the best thing since sliced bread.

Did i mention a unhealthy fixation on commas, as in we've spend 10 lessons out of 20 on commas so far ?
    What is the subject? Because the only subject I can think of that may go absolutely nuts over commas and their rules is linguistics. And even then it would be excessive. Which would beg the question, why are you taking a linguistics course?
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    One of my teachers is shit-scared of computers and hands out everything on paper. Then she spends 20 minutes explaining something that is actually described in a single line of text and seems to think that group assignments is the best thing since sliced bread.

Did i mention a unhealthy fixation on commas, as in we've spend 10 lessons out of 20 on commas so far ?
    What is the subject? Because the only subject I can think of that may go absolutely nuts over commas and their rules is linguistics. And even then it would be excessive. Which would beg the question, why are you taking a linguistics course?
    Its mathemathics

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post

Its mathemathics
    Okay, weird enough.
    nevar forget

Well, a comma in maths can increase the error tenfold.

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cortess View Post
    Well, a comma in maths can increase the error tenfold.

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk
    Obviously.

Hey I am not a mathematician and I am sure that they can obsess about that academically quite well.
    nevar forget

Fuuucckkk Thursday.
    Last edited by Elriche Oshego; August 24 2017 at 01:37:40 PM.

native language classes actually.

idgi either.
    Viking, n.:

idgi either.
    You don't? Because like I said, linguists can become quite obsessed with commas.

Probably a better example for FHC is the number of genders:

http://wals.info/feature/30A#2/27.4/94.9

nevar forget

THAT'S NOT WHAT BEGGING THE QUESTION MEANS JOE
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

idgi either.
    You don't? Because like I said, linguists can become quite obsessed with commas.
    yes, and there are both more important and less annoying issues to deal with, right now all she's accomplishing is to make the classes as boring and drawn out as possible, and it's showing up on attendance that is down some 20% and dropping, especially as tomorrow is a short day with only Danish classes.

handing out essay assignments on a Thursday to be turned in Monday is another excellent way to make yourself not-very-well-liked by the way.
    Viking, n.:

Trees: fucking ungrateful bastards.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/hamp...illed-13512124

"Conservationist who fought for forests killed when tree fell on his car, inquest told"

idgi either.
    yes, and there are both more important and less annoying issues to deal with, right now all she's accomplishing is to make the classes as boring and drawn out as possible, and it's showing up on attendance that is down some 20% and dropping, especially as tomorrow is a short day with only Danish classes.

handing out essay assignments on a Thursday to be turned in Monday is another excellent way to make yourself not-very-well-liked by the way.
    Oh yeah over weekend essays, the absolute best. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post

THAT'S NOT WHAT BEGGING THE QUESTION MEANS JOE
    Huh.

You're right.

Say, are you posting in a foreign language to you?
    nevar forget