hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Growing Veg

I've found herbs to be more resilient to things like aphids too which can decimate an indoor plant. I dug up a small piece of land in the front garden of the house we used to rent and had Potatoes, peas, garlic, carrots, parsnips, rosemary, sage, parsley and sunflowers in it. We had a nice chilli plant too and kept that indoors, it died due to aphids.

I would definitely say start off with herbs, they'll smell great. Brighten the place up and if you're into it then you have some really nice fresh seasoning for food. You can let them bolt (flower) if you're not arsed eating the leaves but in my experience some plants bolted and went super fucking ugly, the rosemary for example looked great but the parsley went all lanky and looked fucking nasty

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

I have had success growing chilli plants on my window sill. I live in a ground floor flat so I keep my blinds closed all the time unless I am home all day. Luckily one of my windows faces into the car park rather than the main road so they live there with the blind always open. Potted them in a decent size pot with some of those plant food pellets and got away with just watering them so far. As you can see from the picture the one on the right (Jalapeņo) has gotten massive. One on the left is a Scoth Bonnet. Once the fruits come in I will buy some plant food to put in the water. If I remember correctly they self pollinate so I think I can get away with not having the window open. Might just have to give them a hand with an ear bud/finger in the flower to make sure they actually pollinate.

Only issue I have had is aphids/green fly setting up shop. Had to buy some ladybird larvae to eat them all as I can't use pesticide in the house while I have tarantula in the same room. Worked really well and they ate through the infestation in a week. Ended up rounding up what I can afterwards and releasing outside before they finished eating each other. In fact found some leaves on the Jalapeņo with more aphids near the bottom that I just removed so I might end up ordering more larvae.

Last edited by Mortalitis; August 23 2017 at 09:34:33 PM.

WoT EU: Mortalitis

I had herbs for the better part of my life as a table center top.

Just a large not really high terracotta pot, Parsley, Thym (I LOVE FRESH THYM), mint(mostly to change house odor) and oregano.

Water them down every sunday and be merry with them.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    So I go out to take some pictures, and find half my sweet corn crop has been trampled by...something. All the ears on the stalks are gone. Another row was munched on. Only two full ears were saved, rest are too small for now.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    So I go out to take some pictures, and find half my sweet corn crop has been trampled by...something. All the ears on the stalks are gone. Another row was munched on. Only two full ears were saved, rest are too small for now.
    wild vegetarians are a menace

Mum has said a small herb garden will be fine on the grate around my window, but i have my doubts given what i've put my aloe through. I'm thinking thyme, mint, fennel and basil.

I'd also love some chives but apparently they don't do well with the English weather? Can someone elucidate me on this?

I may post in this tomorrow.

Maybe.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Basil is like the tomato of herbs... Had one plant that matter how much I used there was always loads more a couple of days later

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Mum has said a small herb garden will be fine on the grate around my window, but i have my doubts given what i've put my aloe through. I'm thinking thyme, mint, fennel and basil.

I'd also love some chives but apparently they don't do well with the English weather? Can someone elucidate me on this?
    I had some chive in a pot outside at the old house that was basically forgotten about and it did well. Think we ended up binning it as my mum wanted to put something else in it. I don't think you will have any issues.

WoT EU: Mortalitis

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    I may post in this tomorrow.

Maybe.

Tapapapatalk
    My first car was this [img]http://www.nasa.gov/[/url] tapapapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalitis View Post

I had some chive in a pot outside at the old house that was basically forgotten about and it did well. Think we ended up binning it as my mum wanted to put something else in it. I don't think you will have any issues.

Noted, i'm going to get on this. I feel bad for essentially fucking my aloe.

You can get quite high tech with aquaponics and a grow light and a spare cupboard. A mate I know who lives in the UK grows a lot of "vegetables" for himself using this kind of stuff.

https://aquaponics.com/build-a-mini-aquaponic-system/
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    You can get quite high tech with aquaponics and a grow light and a spare cupboard. A mate I know who lives in the UK grows a lot of "vegetables" for himself using this kind of stuff.

Yeh i just want some herbs i can ignore really, I spend very little time at home.

My dream is a marine aquarium with live coral etc but :effort:

Actually no, if i could grow my own limes reliably THAT would be my dream. If anyone here can make that happen they will receive a reward.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Saved by the heath.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Actually no, if i could grow my own limes reliably THAT would be my dream. If anyone here can make that happen they will receive a reward.
    http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/F...?pl=2147483647

I'll take a +rep in payment.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

I'm not sure how citrus would settle, but I used to have a tea tree in my windows. It never ?blossomed? and died real quick.... might also have to do with a few winter wind though....

You shall have it, i'm just not sure if it'll sit on my windowsill.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Hang on is vegetables code for weed here?
    No that's what we call people who smoke daily

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Hang on is vegetables code for weed here?
    No that's what we call people who smoke daily
    Ayyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

Yeh i just want some herbs i can ignore really, I spend very little time at home.

My dream is a marine aquarium with live coral etc but :effort:

There are a number of dwarf varieties that have been grafted onto special root stocks, which makes a type of citrus bonsai. There are two kinds of lime, the type where you use the fruit for juice, and the type where you use the leaves as in Asian cooking. The leave type makes better sense if you are looking to flavor cooking rather than obtaining juice. One good thing about citrus is they can self-pollinate so you don't need to let bugs in to obtain fruit (just shake the plant to release pollen when it flowers.

Hardware & Gardening chains here in Oz sell dwarf citrus that has been trained to grow on a small lattice, making the plant flat which is suited for growing on window sills. But a small citrus is still a largish plant so you'd need a couple of square meters on window to accommodate one.