hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artifact Hunting

Artifact Hunting

Artifact Hunting.. Has anyone done it? Can you make much NIC out of it? (Can you do it on Alpha-1 islands?)

To me it looks like POs version of plexing.. I have read up on the mechanics of how to find the sites but not being at home means I cant try it. It looks like quite a high amount of effort to find the sights (OMG MATHS!) but not impossible. Pretty much my question is, is it worth doing at low levels?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Re: Artifact Hunting

Pretty easy to find. The combat spawns are difficult for my industry char. Interesting loot, but I don't know what to do with most. I only found t1, or t3- (horrendously shit stats most of the time, not worth fitting). mk2 cts galore on alpha, but not sure what to do with it and no open market. Sometimes you get some nice kernels though.

Quote Originally Posted by Batolemaeus
    Pretty easy to find. The combat spawns are difficult for my industry char. Interesting loot, but I don't know what to do with most. I only found t1, or t3- (horrendously shit stats most of the time, not worth fitting). mk2 cts galore on alpha, but not sure what to do with it and no open market. Sometimes you get some nice kernels though.
    As far as I understand, T3 loot is best used for making T4 stuff...

Always liked exploration in eve, would be interested to know when you could start doing this as a main source of income. Im assuming an assault bot wont cut it past lvl 1 sites?

It all depends on if you want to fight the (possible) protectors of the artifacts or not. Some sites spawn protection, some not, but the juicy stuff is always in the can that pops up, so you can scoot in, scoop up and run like hell

I've mostly done my scanning using a pair of Mechs (Tyrannos + Artemis) because I like to kill'em all

Word of warning though: Observer stashes, specially the best Observer Stash III on Alphas is something you want to be wary around, they usually spawn a pair of Mech Grand Observers and those things are BAD NEWS.

People who do the "scoot'n'loot" type of artifact hunting usually use either a ew-bot like Trojar or Intakt or a light bot like Yagel or Castel, T4 scanner, T4 lwf and either resistances or a rep, weapons optional since speed is the key here. Others use Lairds and Arganos, even Sequers (Sequer w/T4 lwf and Navi 10 gets up to 80 km/h)

And artifact scanning can be quite profitable indeed, I've made something like 100+ mil NIC from it during the last 2 months and I certainly don't do it much, something like 2 or 3 1 hour runs a week.

I want to get into this but I wasted half of my EP on Sequorer (whatever) skills on an alt that I'm not going to use :/ so I'm still waiting to get my Waspish and scanner prereqs before repurposing my Castel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoko Matsui
    And artifact scanning can be quite profitable indeed, I've made something like 100+ mil NIC from it during the last 2 months and I certainly don't do it much, something like 2 or 3 1 hour runs a week.
    Tell me more?!

So what can I expect to be able to run as a noob. I just reset my account and have something like 20K EP still unallocated (but no NIC, hence not allocating yet.. I want to run the tutorials again and get my free frig.. err.. light bot)

Obviously I don't want to run the top ends because lol I'll get blasted to kingdom come, but can I expect to run the low ends? (And by run I mean kill everything and get the loot).

Also, how do they actually work? Once you have found them they just pop up in the open? Can anyone take from the can?

[quote=Lana Torrin]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Ryoko Matsui":2tgqpa78
    Tell me more?!

So what can I expect to be able to run as a noob. I just reset my account and have something like 20K EP still unallocated (but no NIC, hence not allocating yet.. I want to run the tutorials again and get my free frig.. err.. light bot)

Obviously I don't want to run the top ends because lol I'll get blasted to kingdom come, but can I expect to run the low ends? (And by run I mean kill everything and get the loot).

Also, how do they actually work? Once you have found them they just pop up in the open? Can anyone take from the can?[/quote:2tgqpa78]

Let's see... where to start... If you want to fight the protectors your best bet would be doing them in an light or assault bot, fit normally like for any other PVE thing, just make sure you spare 1 head slot for the scanner (also they are quite CPU hogs) Since most of the sites spawn only few enemies, killing them isn't usually problem at all, the problem comes from the fact that the site could be close enough to a normal "world spawn" that when you go in, you get aggro from those too.

Once you find one, the can pops up and you can go loot it. They're also instanced so there's no competition between others (only you and others in your squad can see the can)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoko Matsui
    They're also instanced so there's no competition between others (only you and others in your squad can see the can)
    And all of a sudden im liking this game a little less...

Although it does explain why the islands are so small..

[quote=Lana Torrin]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Ryoko Matsui":nouo59i6
    They're also instanced so there's no competition between others (only you and others in your squad can see the can)

Although it does explain why the islands are so small..[/quote:nouo59i6]

Odd I had the impression that it was the spawns were generated by player but after you found it and triggered it they were visible to the whole server.

Which I thought was a decent way to get around the 3 people plexing in a system at one time because there are only a certain number of decent sites problem that eve has.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

I dunno if the plex cans being "private" is really such a big deal, the rat spawns certainly aren't. I've already listened as someone popped a mid level plex right in the middle of a newbie area, and the spawned guards immediately went to work ganking everything in sight.

[quote=Tailn]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin
    Quote Originally Posted by "Ryoko Matsui":huk0uy2n

Although it does explain why the islands are so small..
    Odd I had the impression that it was the spawns were generated by player but after you found it and triggered it they were visible to the whole server.

Which I thought was a decent way to get around the 3 people plexing in a system at one time because there are only a certain number of decent sites problem that eve has.[/quote:huk0uy2n]

Maybe I should've been clearer, it is only the "juicy stuff" can that is instanced since that is actually the signature you're scanning, if the site has protection, everyone can see the bots after you find it.

They should drop the instanced thing for the beta islands tbh. Obviously I know best, I've played for like 3 days.

Re: Re: Artifact Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Siiee
    I dunno if the plex cans being "private" is really such a big deal, the rat spawns certainly aren't. I've already listened as someone popped a mid level plex right in the middle of a newbie area, and the spawned guards immediately went to work ganking everything in sight.
    Ah I misunderstood. I thought the whole plexs was instanced not just the can. Love restored.

Oh and speaking of causing mayhem, I've once managed to find an Pelistal Observer Stash III ~500m from the TM Alpha terminal, it spawned 2 GO Tyrannoses which happily went on a rampage killing everything on sight and just plain ignoring me. End result: 4 dead newbie players (2 Arkhes, Castel and a Waspish) and a lot of "Wtf did just happen?" talk in help channel

So yeah, there's some grief potential in them, if you get lucky :P

Actually now you say that I have seen a mech rat stomping through the Noob terminal in my 5 or so days of play now. I was fortunately a decent distance away and decided to stay that way.

Who would have thought that the devs would be able to give us greifing tools while also protecting us from raeg.

Time to start scanning find a nice spawn at a terminal and some how gather a huge crowd before hand . It would be like spawning a class 4 sleeper anom outside jita 4-4.

I love it when they spawn near highways. So funny to hear people crying about artifact spawns destroying peoplenot paying attention. lol

I am tired of ratting and doing missions, so this sounds like a fun thing to try.

Are there extensions directly related to this activity?
    Do "Basic Geology" and "Advanced Geology" have an effect? It is not clear from the skill description.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksim
    Are there extensions directly related to this activity?
    Do "Basic Geology" and "Advanced Geology" have an effect? It is not clear from the skill description.
    I don't believe they to there is a dedicated skill artefact scanning or something and that has a prereq extension which explicitly states in the description that it applies to artefact scanning as well.