hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (aka dark souls lite with permadeath)

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (aka dark souls lite with permadeath)

A neat game with permadeath (die too many times and your progress is wiped), and a cool storyline based on the Nordic mythos of the afterlife as well as exploring the issues of mental illness.

The development team consulted a historian and psychologist for the setting and history and to realistically depict what a girl with schizophrenia would actually experience when trying to save her lost lover from Hel. Played an hour or so into it and it's awesome. You really feel the pressure every time you screw up because you see the "rot" grow and get closer to you. I'm enjoying the backstory and setting; although it's a mystical world that isn't real I've had a passing interest in Nordic myth ever since I played EVE.
    Last edited by Spaztick; August 9 2017 at 04:42:48 PM.

note she's Celtic, but it's set in the Nordic mythology, i was a bit miffed at the trailers initially because of the clash between her choice of dress and decor and Nordic mythology, not enough curvy bits basically.

looks excellent from the trailers, expecting it to arrive in the humble-bundle in a couple of months, but i am tempted to pick it up.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Ah it's the one Jim sterling got into bother with the other day. Looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    note she's Celtic, but it's set in the Nordic mythology, i was a bit miffed at the trailers initially because of the clash between her choice of dress and decor and Nordic mythology, not enough curvy bits basically.

looks excellent from the trailers, expecting it to arrive in the humble-bundle in a couple of months, but i am tempted to pick it up.
    Yea I am wondering about that myself and I think it's answered in the story. There are hints at the beginning of the game that she's a Celt but a lot of her family and friends hate the Nords (understandably I suppose, since they did try the pillage and rape thing). This makes me think the person she's saving from Hel is a Nord lover.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post

Yea I am wondering about that myself and I think it's answered in the story. There are hints at the beginning of the game that she's a Celt but a lot of her family and friends hate the Nords (understandably I suppose, since they did try the pillage and rape thing). This makes me think the person she's saving from Hel is a Nord lover.
    norse, not nord, Skyrim belong to the nords after all, while tthe norse originate in Scandinavia.

but yea, it looks really quite excellent.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Saw this on steam this evening, looks very promising.

Must admit was very tempted but still on the bench about it but saw someone on twitch doing the start of it and that convinced me to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    Ah it's the one Jim sterling got into bother with the other day. Looks interesting.
    Yeah think Total Biscuit made an arse of himself about it too although he seems to have deleted any and all tweets he made about it.

Jim has put a re-review up as a 7/10 which actually watching his review video seems a tad on the harsh side as without the "bug" he encountered would have been a 8 or 9/10.
    Last edited by ElweSingollo; August 10 2017 at 12:06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElweSingollo View Post
    Must admit was very tempted but still on the bench about it but saw someone on twitch doing the start of it and that convinced me to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    Yeah think Total Biscuit made an arse of himself about it too although he seems to have deleted any and all tweets he made about it.

Jim has put a re-review up as a 7/10 which actually watching his review video seems a tad on the harsh side as without the "bug" he encountered would have been a 8 or 9/10.
    Well people make mistakes, and jim did that review out of sheer frustration. It's good he collected himself and admitted he fucked up by redoing it. The 7 makes sense when you think he can only really review the game he has. No matter if it fucks up at the end, if you got 7 hours of great fun out of it is never a 1. Much like the grounds on which I will forever defend ME3 as a perfectly fine game.

Didn't see the TB stuff but knowing him I assume it's much the same. After all he did criticise the terrible review for Prey that had pretty much the same issue in it, so I guess he realized that eventually.

As Jim points out either way the game looks great and the mid budget game these days is a laudable concept, need more of them

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

They have really, really nailed the bits about psychosis and internal struggles in mental health issues. And it's a great story and the mechanics for telling it is pretty well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar

Except when the Vikings started raiding the British isles the Celts where Romanized a long time ago and largely converted to the catholic religion.

Also as Liare said, Norse != Nords. The land to the north of the Viking settlements (Bjarmeland as the Vikings refered to it as) was a place even the Vikings wanted to avoid.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

It her fanny too big for a.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post

Except when the Vikings started raiding the British isles the Celts where Romanized a long time ago and largely converted to the catholic religion.

Also as Liare said, Norse != Nords. The land to the north of the Viking settlements (Bjarmeland as the Vikings refered to it as) was a place even the Vikings wanted to avoid.
    it's a bid odd, but i dont think we're looking at a straight viking age setting here despite the marketing blurbs, more a migration period setting meaning she's probably Irish and pagan. think 300-700 AD, Norse mythology and norse trading and raiding traditions pre-date what we know as the viking age today, it's simply that the population growth of that era coupled with some technological development necessitated the tactics and methods history portray, the two periods are quite closely interlinked in the minds of most people so it propably makes sense to go "VIKINGS! NORSE MYTHOLOGY!" and so forth despite having a slightly earlier setting.

the long-ship dates back to at least 350 BC.
    Last edited by Liare; August 10 2017 at 08:07:22 PM.
    Viking, n.:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (aka dark souls lite with permadeath)

It's answered in the story. Who she is and who her lover was, what happened and who the ghost is.

Edit: it also sheds light on the voices in her head.

Will definitely buy it at some point.

I'll buy it next month when I'm not completely out of money. Need to support mid budget quality games a lot, and it looks great.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    It's answered in the story. Who she is and who her lover was, what happened and who the ghost is.

Edit: it also sheds light on the voices in her head.
    Yep, a lot of those questions have been answered so far, and christ I've been playing for a few hours and I need a break because all this psychological terror is exhausting me.

Yeah, it's quite accurate. They did a lot of research, and interviewed both psychologists and people suffering from various illnesses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fffff

I'm broke this month and want this so bad.

Isyel is a big whiney baby, and there's also a short "behind the scenes" video they included as a bonus.
    Last edited by Spaztick; August 12 2017 at 05:26:35 PM.

And in your infinite wisdom you yell it out to everyone? ._.