hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 94

Thread: Martial Arts win thread.

  1. #1
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    5,126

    Martial Arts win thread.

    Martial arts are cool. Watching martial arts is cool. Doing martial arts is cool. Getting into the right shape/tone for martial arts is painful and hard.



    I do Capoeira, been doing it 10 months, 3 times per week lessons and maybe once or twice a week outside of lessons in the park etc.

    Capoeira is a Brazilian Martial Art made by slaves and disguised from their masters as a dance.(Hence why it's called the dance martial art). It's got a high overall physical fitness level, a lot of movement involved(Cartwheels, hand spins, flips and shit) and you can still kick someone in the head(though this is discouraged). There's also some dancing in the culture, singing and instruments are incorporated into the martial art and it's generally a lot of fun.

    Now I'm looking for some help though. I'm generally alright with things involving my back/shoulders/arms but the flexibility in my legs is terribad. I've got really tight calf muscles and my hip flexors suck. This stops me doing quite a few things like a basic martelo(pictured). Any advice on how to get these muscles to work the way they should, I was thinking of other activities that actively use these muscle groups more but after swimming I'm kind of at a loss to what to try(I had to learn how to swim before starting this properly, yeah, I couldn't swim about 2-3 months ago). I've been doing stretches that target these muscles after work/training and after about 5 months I've noticed pretty much no change, so I'm probably doing it wrong.

    Any advice on that matter?

  2. #2
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,568

    Re: Martial Arts win thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa
    blabla martial arts


    I do Capoeira
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  3. #3
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    5,126

    Re: Martial Arts win thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa
    blabla martial arts


    I do Capoeira
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6oiADjOdFg

    Yeah bro, it's totally not a martial art and is a dance! GTFO if you've not got anything constructive.

  4. #4
    chadsexington's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    334

    Re: Martial Arts win thread.

    Ignoring the trolls (and thanking them so I didnt have to), try yoga. It will shoot your flexibility up very high, very fast.

    Another method would be to go find a competitive Tae Kwon Do guy and get him to show you his stretching routine - beware you may damage your joints if the stretches are particularly dangerous.

    Yoga would be the easiest (to find), however, so go with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Litoris View Post
    I knew you'd post on here right away you fucking piece of shit

  5. #5
    Poem's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    425

    Re: Martial Arts win thread.

    Depends how far you want to increase flexibility, but you're right that you do need to be very careful. You're right in stretching after hard training or a lesson. My teacher has a program for reaching a full box split which i'm waiting on starting, just need the right temperature for a couple of months. Sadly due to shitty english weather I may be waiting a long time, not to mention the amount of work it takes going through the program. I still want to do it, as i'm 6"6, so I have killer legs as it is. :P More flexibility obviously means more power over a wider range of movement, as well as some groovy stances and techniques.

    I've been learning eagle claw from my sifu Julian Dale at his full time school in Maidenhead for a little over a year now, so nothing major yet. I've got no illusions about learning ~kungfu~ to totally use on the street, I simply find it fascinating learning in the most minute detail how your body works and how to harness it. I'm also very grateful that my first teacher is one of the few with real, genuine knowledge, as there is a staggering amount of bullshit and con artists in the martial arts world.

    For an idea of the style, here's a good video of my sifu performing one of the intermediate forms, I think during one of master Lau's visit a few years ago:

    [youtube:334ljgn6]Vf75ZPa8G4s[/youtube:334ljgn6]


    I also went to the UK martial arts show Live a few months ago as part of our school's demo and lion dance team. Was a great day out and there were some incredible performances, particularly of water boxing and praying mantis by masters my teacher knows. Lots of mortal kombat style shit as well, but shit happens. If you are in the UK and don't mind travelling i'd definitely recommend having a look next year.

    On the subject of Capoeira, I know that Keiiko from qotsa has done it for a while now. I'm not sure if he's active on FHC though.

  6. #6
    kalisti's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    169
    [youtube]7157QMW9abM[/youtube]

    haha?

  7. #7
    Voulture's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,209
    I didn't read all the op because i know shit about Capoeira but wanted to shamelessly +1 here:
    Did 2 years of Judo, amazing thing, would do again. Keep you in great form as it uses all part if your body in fights. AMA.

  8. #8
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    5,126
    Quote Originally Posted by kalisti View Post
    7157QMW9abM

    haha?
    I too have seen the film Never Back Down.

    If any one does Capoeira like that in a real fight they deserve to get knocked out. You see people doing Capoeira like that because they're "Playing a game", not "Kicking eachother's head off".

    @Poem - Can you give me any more info on that programme? Or is it something only learnt through his lessons? I'm sure I can find someone where I live that can do similar programs but it'd be good to know from here.

    TBH I put the Capoeira in so people would know what I'd be aiming at and hopefully have a better idea of what would help. Yoga is another option I'm thinking of until I get to where I want though I'm hoping to do a lot of the work at home.

    I tried Judo before, wasn't really my thing. But as you said, gets to all parts of the body pretty damn well, and was good to go through the whole "Minimal energy" thing (Using people's momentum to put them on the floor). But as I said, wasn't really my thing.
    Last edited by NoirAvlaa; July 2 2011 at 10:37:51 PM.

  9. #9
    Movember 2012
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    5,032
    Quote Originally Posted by kalisti View Post
    [youtube]7157QMW9abM[/youtube]

    haha?
    Pretty much yep. Anyone who can keep their head on their shoulders and remember their training while some guy is doing backflips and cartwheels will be able to destroy a capoeiraist.

    You won't find a more visually amazing technique however.

    e.: As mentioned above Yoga is your best bet.

  10. #10
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    5,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Loire View Post
    Pretty much yep. Anyone who can keep their head on their shoulders and remember their training while some guy is doing backflips and cartwheels will be able to destroy a capoeiraist.

    You won't find a more visually amazing technique however.
    You miss the point. Any Capoeirista that does backflips and shit in a fight is a retard and is doing it wrong. That stuffs only for when you're "playing". As soon as you actually start using it in a fight you don't do anything that has any form of flip, going upside-down or coming off the floor because as you said, that stuff will make it easy for someone to destroy you. You actually keep your balance shifting and do fast, effective kicks (Martelo, Meia lua de compaso) and use your hands. There's a slap in Capoeira that's there to burst the eardrum, 1 hand and 2 handed versions, and has been done before.

  11. #11
    Movember 2012
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    5,032
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    You miss the point. Any Capoeirista that does backflips and shit in a fight is a retard and is doing it wrong. That stuffs only for when you're "playing". As soon as you actually start using it in a fight you don't do anything that has any form of flip, going upside-down or coming off the floor because as you said, that stuff will make it easy for someone to destroy you. You actually keep your balance shifting and do fast, effective kicks (Martelo, Meia lua de compaso) and use your hands. There's a slap in Capoeira that's there to burst the eardrum, 1 hand and 2 handed versions, and has been done before.
    Watch the knockout video you posted. First 3 seconds of the fight he leaps looking for the easy kick to the face. A better fighter would have, long before your capoeirist hit the ground, have got in for the take down.

    And that's the problem with the technique: their's too much movement, too much show. Not only are you wasting energy but your leaving yourself wide open.

    Capoeira's main strength is it's ability to unnerve your opponent. Even a trained fighter who isn't experienced with the technique will have no idea what to do, but you find someone who keeps their head about them then they are going to win the fight (insert made up percentage here) of the time.

  12. #12
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    5,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Loire View Post
    Watch the knockout video you posted. First 3 seconds of the fight he leaps looking for the easy kick to the face. A better fighter would have, long before your capoeirist hit the ground, have got in for the take down.

    And that's the problem with the technique: their's too much movement, too much show. Not only are you wasting energy but your leaving yourself wide open.

    Capoeira's main strength is it's ability to unnerve your opponent. Even a trained fighter who isn't experienced with the technique will have no idea what to do, but you find someone who keeps their head about them then they are going to win the fight (insert made up percentage here) of the time.
    Well yeah tbh I completely agree with the leaps in the video I posted. The leaps were just idiotic. I'm not saying Capoeira is the best martial art in a fight, but I am saying it can still be just as effective as many other martial arts and is still a martial art in it's own right, not some interpretive dance that people think it is

    Would like to know how many other people do martial arts here though, especially the Chinese ones(For some reason I always enjoy seeing Chinese martial arts over most others)

  13. #13
    Movember 2012
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    5,032
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Well yeah tbh I completely agree with the leaps in the video I posted. The leaps were just idiotic. I'm not saying Capoeira is the best martial art in a fight, but I am saying it can still be just as effective as many other martial arts and is still a martial art in it's own right, not some interpretive dance that people think it is

    Would like to know how many other people do martial arts here though, especially the Chinese ones(For some reason I always enjoy seeing Chinese martial arts over most others)
    That we can agree on.

    Does Hockey fighting count if you became rather good at it?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Posts
    468
    There's a saying when it comes to comparing martial arts:

    "The individual is more important than the training, the training is more important than the master, and the master is more important than the system".

    It's a nice poetic way to say "Stop fucking comparing systems, that shit is worse than Kirk vs Picard."



    ...Editing for some content, I've trained for a while with a guy who practices a combination of a bunch of martial arts - Yang-style Tai chi, Ba Gua, Silat Serak and a form of Mian Quan. Mostly these days he teaches the Silat stuff but it's heavily influenced by those various Kung Fu forms - and some of us who've been training with him for a while got taught that stuff first. Anyway, here's a few vids:

    [youtube]jsx5N1pKiOM[/youtube]
    [youtube]1QWeZ9WX4UU[/youtube]
    Last edited by Narmio; July 3 2011 at 01:54:51 AM.

  15. #15
    Quarantine's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,469
    Oh look, that discussion again. Most if not all martial arts teacher will tell you to rather run away than to get into a serious fight, and maybe some will show the moves of their discipline they think applicable when you really have to defend yourself, but self-defense really isn't in the center of the matter that much. Martial arts are primarily a way to develop yourself, physically and mentally, and to compete with other people (using the competition to further improve yourself). It really doesn't matter which martial arts you do as long as you're having fun with it and use it to improve yourself and all the "what about fighting in the streets for real?" talk is redundant.

  16. #16
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,098
    I use KneeToTheBalls then BootToTheKidneys.

    Also capoeira is gay as fuck.

  17. #17
    Quarantine's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,469
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    I use KneeToTheBalls then BootToTheKidneys.

    Also capoeira is gay as fuck.
    Why would anyone try to hit you in the first place? Can't you just claim to have cancer when they try?

  18. #18
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarantine View Post
    Why would anyone try to hit you in the first place? Can't you just claim to have cancer when they try?
    Cancer isn't contagious.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    [TSKRS]
    Posts
    3,236
    Did kyokushin karate for several years until I went to university and found that in other karate styles, trying to drive your shin through your sparring partner's leg is frowned upon.

    With no kyokushin clubs nearby, I stopped training and just became a bit of a general fitness nut for a few years.

  20. #20
    chadsexington's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsubutai View Post
    Did kyokushin karate for several years until I went to university and found that in other karate styles, trying to drive your shin through your sparring partner's leg is frowned upon.

    With no kyokushin clubs nearby, I stopped training and just became a bit of a general fitness nut for a few years.
    How was the stretching routine in your opinion? I've done some karate stretching routines, but I found they lacked the intensity and variation of the tkd routines I did. I've done several different arts/styles, some formal, others not, but tkd by far gave me the best all around stretching, as well as the most diverse kicking techniques.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •