hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [MEGATHREAD] Dumb questions, good answers

[MEGATHREAD] Dumb questions, good answers

We probably need one of these.. I know I do..

So to get the ball rolling. Some of the weapon slots on the bots have dots after them, ie Missile () or Missile (/) .. What do the dots actually mean? Are they sizes??
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Re: [MEGATHREAD] Dumb questions, good answers

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin

So to get the ball rolling. Some of the weapon slots on the bots have dots after them, ie Missile () or Missile (/) .. What do the dots actually mean? Are they sizes??
    I think so. One dot for small, two for medium.

I have a strong feeling like there will be tons more questions than we can answer due to us being noobs. lol

[quote=Marlona Sky]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Lana Torrin":1uufubv5

I think so. One dot for small, two for medium.

I have a strong feeling like there will be tons more questions than we can answer due to us being noobs. lol[/quote:1uufubv5]

There are no such things as stupid questions.. Just stupid people...

I have been trying to work out how some people manage to get all of their missiles to fire at the same time and right at the top of the help channel is says '<space> to fire all weapons'

So.. Skilling for a Waspish is a go then if it can use medium missiles..

Dots are indeed weapon sizes. Also when you open the equip screen those icons next to your turret slots represent what you can fit in them.

Can you move your bot using the minimap- ie. dbl click on floor equivalent?

What happens when you've done the tutorial missions and get your free sexy bot (Prometheus, although I guess this varies depending on start race/ corp?)? I have a variety of level 0 missions, I assume i just grind through those to get better standings and therefore missions?

Do NPC bots have bounties in the same way as rats in Eve? I've not seen any bounty sums on any bots, but that could be because they've been mission bots?

I'm sure I have more later

Quote Originally Posted by Ombey
    Do NPC bots have bounties in the same way as rats in Eve? I've not seen any bounty sums on any bots, but that could be because they've been mission bots?
    I was trying to work this one out myself. I believe the only way to make money off killing NPCs is to sell the loot..

That's correct. Better NPCs drop more reactor plasma and so are worth more. Some of them will drop t2/3 items as well, but I'm reasonably sure those spawns are limited to the beta islands.

bot loot works like sleeper loot. The plasma drops are used only for selling to NPC orders.

If I decide to toddle off to the beta islands in my crappy light bot, will I be able to kill anything, and how many things would I need to kill in order to make enough cash to replace my thingy?

Are the higher teir robots bigger? I feel like I'm driving a remote control car.

I was killing things on the beta islands yesterday in a yagel, but I was avoiding anything bigger than me out of expecting to get my face kicked in. Couldn't tell you how much I made though. Also yes, higher tier stompies are bigger.

Thanks- also, regarding loot- the stuff I can refine, am I better off to wait till i have better skills (although I am pure PvP and dont want to waste SPs on industry), or just do eeet?

I've been playing PO since the betas so ask away, I'll answer what I can.

Then some answers:

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin
    Correct, they are maximum weapon size the slot will accept, one dot means small weapons, two medium.

And while Waspish can mount medium launchers, I would recommend against it, you will need very high fitting skills, the medium weapons aren't that effective versus small stuff. In case of missiles it all comes down to target surface size vs missile explosion size

What happens when you've done the tutorial missions and get your free sexy bot (Prometheus, although I guess this varies depending on start race/ corp?)? I have a variety of level 0 missions, I assume i just grind through those to get better standings and therefore missions?

Yes, you need to grind through missions (assignments) to get better ones:

relation (standing) required:
    .201 for lvl1
    1.01 for lvl2 (available from Alpha island outposts)
    2.01 for lvl3 (again in Alpha island main Terminals)
    3.01 for lvl4 (available on Beta islands)
    and so on, currently there are assignments up to lvl6

Also the relation gain is capped so if you want to get high relations it means you gotta go out to Betas, otherwise you'll stop gaining relation shortly after gaining access to lvl4 (I THINK it's +1 relation to needed, should check FOOM wiki if it's there)

NPCs don't have bounties as is, but they drop Reactor Plasma that can be sold to npc buy orders and this acts as a "bounty". Currently the plasma has no other use and I'm not sure it will ever have.

Also higher rank NPCs (again I THINK) rank 3 and up, there are 5 ranks of NPCs in PO, only ranks 1 to 3 will spawn on Alpha islands, can drop higher tier equipment. The chance is quite small and on Alphas they will drop only Tier 2 stuff.

On the NPCs, There are 2 kinds of roaming NPCs that will spawn (no idea about the spawn cycle length, at start it was around 24 hours), Convoys and Observers. In short Convoys are mix of industrial bots (lairds, arganos, sequers) and some combat bots (1 or 2 mechs, few assaults and some lights) as protection. Observers on the other hand are quite a different story, best eve analogy is them being faction spawns. There are 2 kinds of Observers you can run into on Alpha islands: Observers and Grand Observers. They are usually either solo, or in pairs (1 assault + 1 mech). The difference between Observer and Grand Observer is their ferocity, Grand ones are a real pita to take down unless you got good skills and know what you do.

I hope this answers some questions you had.

Can you move your bot using the minimap- ie. dbl click on floor equivalent?
    Double clicking on the terrain, WASD or double tap forwards are as far as i know the only movement methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Hehulk
    That's correct. Better NPCs drop more reactor plasma and so are worth more. Some of them will drop t2/3 items as well, but I'm reasonably sure those spawns are limited to the beta islands.
    Tier 1/2 Npc's drop Tier 1 items up to Tier 5 Npc's dropping up to Tier 4 items, it used to be that Tier 5 Npc's were only found on beta islands though I am not sure about the alpha-2 islands now.

Quote Originally Posted by Xennith
    If I decide to toddle off to the beta islands in my crappy light bot, will I be able to kill anything, and how many things would I need to kill in order to make enough cash to replace my thingy?

Are the higher teir robots bigger? I feel like I'm driving a remote control car.
    Nope higher Tier bots are the same size the difference is their extensions the higher the tier the tougher the bot but still the same chassis and fittings (perhaps higher Tier or Nian fittings).
    You may well be able to kill some of the easier Npc's on the beta islands in a light bot, however your nic / h would be very very low compared to grinding a decent spawn on alpha.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

What do the various types of Ewar do?

Thanks- also, regarding loot- the stuff I can refine, am I better off to wait till i have better skills (although I am pure PvP and dont want to waste SPs on industry), or just do eeet?
    Recycling extensions can make a huge difference in the profitability, pass them to a friend who has decent levels is my suggestion. Also white damage items cost substantially less to repair it used to be that repairing a red item would cost more than the mineral value added to the item, the only benefit was for reselling and then very rarely was that worth while.

We got:

ECM = breaks you lock, you can start relock instantly
    Drainers = same as nos in eve
    Neuts = Duh, nukes your accu
    Sensor damps = slows your lock time, shortens your max lock range
    Demobs = webs

There is some others, I just can't remember what they do or how they work.

Pretty much the same as EvE,
    ecm's break locks,
    damps reduce lock range and increase lock time,
    demobs slow a bots movement,
    neut's neut and drainers NOS.

Check out the help documents Here

Mineral tiles, do they refill over time or just pop back into existence? I know plants regrow

Quote Originally Posted by Hehulk
    Mineral tiles, do they refill over time or just pop back into existence? I know plants regrow
    Pretty certain it is a very slow refill, used to be after a server reboot every thing was 100% again but I think that is fixed now . Happy to be corrected though on both points.

Thanks Tailn

Is there a good summary of the pros/cons of each weapon system ? I went with the missile based race , though I'm now unsure if that was a wise decision.

Slight Edit:This seems to be rather good http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Help:Weapons_and_ammo , but I'd like some extra input from any of the perp vets as well if possible.