hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a 99 dollar fee I could get behind

a 99 dollar fee I could get behind

CCP's internal video suite, Jessica

License that to the community. Main issue I would see is "how the fuck do I use this" and added support costs. But still, the results would be awesome.

Re: a 99 dollar fee I could get behind

simply yes

Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra
    HERE! YOU'VE TAKEN EVERYTHING ELSE! TAKE MY PANTS!

id pay 99 bucks to move a character from TQ to Serenity...permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Yeats View Post
    It is called a difference of opinion and if you're going to get so shirty about it, you might want to cancel your connection to the internet.

Super Everator Global Moderator Virtuozzo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leboe
    CCP's internal video suite, Jessica

License that to the community. Main issue I would see is "how the fuck do I use this" and added support costs. But still, the results would be awesome.
    yup. Heck, even in a crappy beta format I'd do that.
    J'ai violé votre vaisseau spatial. C'était amusant....!

EVE once was about internet spaceships. Then those became serious business.
    Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

And within a few months of this happening we will see private EVE servers all over the place. Hence not going to happen.

Wait, software that's badly documented (if at all) with support who don't half know how it works themselves is a problem for EVE players?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstopia
    WHERE IS CCP AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THEM?????

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana
    And within a few months of this happening we will see private EVE servers all over the place. Hence not going to happen.
    huh? I understood Jessica to simply be a machinima sound stage for EVE. Leveraging its codebase into a roll your own mmo would likely take far more than a few months.

EVE separated from CCPs derptastic decisions would be awesome but the equipment needed to run your own private EVEdaho is a bit beyond what players can provide, unless a bunch of EVE players who work at Level 3 can "accidentally misconfigure" a bunch of assets or we have an EVE player crew with access to a BlueGene rig.

Gettign Bill Gates' kids hooked on EVE (or else getting Mark Zuckerberg hooked) is probably our only hope.

Shouldn't cost anything because the content created with it would already be more or less advertisement for EVE.

Quote Originally Posted by zergl
    Shouldn't cost anything because the content created with it would already be more or less advertisement for EVE.
    Hm, that situation sounds familiar...

I can't see why anyone would want to play on a private eve server. Where is the *content?*

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana

clueless....also, what happened to your "statement making" sig with the word "cancelled" over all your characters' names? So much for all that noise amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Yeats View Post
    It is called a difference of opinion and if you're going to get so shirty about it, you might want to cancel your connection to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by noobcake
    also, what happened to your "statement making" sig with the word "cancelled" over all your characters' names? So much for all that noise amirite?
    A rollback to an older backup on the server rendering it happened. But don't worry it has been fixed.

Super Everator Global Moderator Virtuozzo's Avatar

For the sake of some who don't know, Jessica is an in house tool CCP uses in support of trailers and such. They have on occasion provided it to players, for example for Clear Skies.

Even in an unstable form, CCP could capitalise it as a working beta, and tbh there are ample options for using a community supported Jessica for capitalisation in tech communities EVE doesn't have much reach in.

Heck, I'd consider combo options like Jessica + Fraps, or properly done 3D models or texture kits, with appropriate licenses and all that. But that is probably reaching too far.
    J'ai violé votre vaisseau spatial. C'était amusant....!

EVE once was about internet spaceships. Then those became serious business.
    Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

I doubt you would need a lot of effort to host your own EVE server as long as you don't load every system. Sisi was running on only 2 or 3 nodes iirc.

If CCP was to provide Jessica to the players, it should only record events occurring on TQ with tools for camera animation, effects etc and then you can use Fraps or similar to record it.
    WoT: Area

Quote Originally Posted by Shin_getter View Post
    I can't see why anyone would want to play on a private eve server. Where is the *content?*
    Only real reason is at-will 'rebalancing', which is to say make blasters have a 270km optimal.

I've seen private WoW servers: they're essentially about being able to turn on godmode and see huge numbers. Most of the demand for that can be handled on SiSi (by making everythign cheap, so you can officer fit your rifters for lulz), and no-one has to make a baby blade cluster to run it on.

Quote Originally Posted by killfalcon View Post
    Only real reason is at-will 'rebalancing', which is to say make blasters have a 270km optimal.

I've seen private WoW servers: they're essentially about being able to turn on godmode and see huge numbers. Most of the demand for that can be handled on SiSi (by making everythign cheap, so you can officer fit your rifters for lulz), and no-one has to make a baby blade cluster to run it on.
    gets boring v fast tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    Can we get Calmdown to
    no we cannot

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    Evemu

Quote Originally Posted by Megathron View Post
    Evemu
    oh boy...here we go. Youve either stumbled upon the whole "emu" side of MMOs and think its the coolest thing since sliced bread, or youre the one developing the emu version of eve. Either way, you're best to not post in every thread imaginable about EvEmu.

In case you havent noticed, these emus are horribly unpopulated and never fucking go anywhere.
    Last edited by noobcake; July 5 2011 at 12:54:45 PM. Reason: added content

Administrator Movember 2012 Don Pellegrino's Avatar
    There's really no point whatsoever to play on a private eve server :/

It, like, defeats the entire point of the game. Maybe unless you like solo PVE content without all those pesky pvpers ruining the fun. :foreveralone:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Pellegrino View Post
    :foreveralone:
    new emoticon in the works, amirite?