hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: CPU check plz

CPU check plz

i have a z97 and in it a 4770k. am i still good, that wont be bottlenecked will it? im at a 4.2ghz overclock with the cpu at around 40-42 degrees c

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    i have a z97 and in it a 4770k. am i still good, that wont be bottlenecked will it? im at a 4.2ghz overclock with the cpu at around 40-42 degrees c

you being daft mate

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

A 7700K performs around 10% better.

In short, no, you won't be bottlenecked.

In long, no, and stop being daft.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    I ran some numbers for building a Ryzen or Kaby Lake system, and decided to pass for now. Bought a used i7-3770k. Planning on sticking this on. Convince me this is a good/bad idea.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

why are you trying to derail the thread this isn't about you, it's about Kraken

I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

ha, thanks.
    Ill keep the 4th gen then. I didnt know how it performed relative to newer chips, 10% is surprising!
    I didnt know if not being able to use ddr4 might have been a factor worth to upgrade too.

Just ordered a asus strix 1080ti, should be a nice quiet and cool upgrade over my HD 7990 dual GPU noisey 86degrees loud as fuck brick

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I ran some numbers for building a Ryzen or Kaby Lake system, and decided to pass for now. Bought a used i7-3770k. Planning on sticking this on. Convince me this is a good/bad idea.
    Unless you're building a fully passive PC, don't bother. For the same sort of cash you can pick up a Noctua NH-D15 or a Thermalright Silver Arrow that will perform miles better and probably be quieter than every other fan in your machine.

I've got a NH-D15 in my new build, you literally can't hear it over the case fans and by the time it needs to start speeding up the GPU's fans have kicked in.

And if you ARE going fully passive, don't bother with a 3770k. You're not going to be doing any serious overclocking in a passive rig - low power is the way to go.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Just figured I chime in on the Noctua NH-D15; I have one in my 2 year old build and it's down right amazing. Whisper quiet since the fans hardly ever move and barely collects any dust.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    As Zekk has said, a passive CPU cooler is pointless unless you're going for a fully passive system. A good air cooler will cope with a 3770K no problem and make so little noise you won't be able to hear it with the case closed. I have an ancient Xigmatek 120mm cooler on my slightly overclocked 4790K and it's inaudible unless all 8 threads are at 100% load. And those passive coolers are so big they usually have clearance problems with the RAM slots and sometimes the first PCIe 16x slot.

I really really miss my old NH-D14. Noctua make some good shit

phoneposting

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Alright, after viewing some videos and reading some reviews, I've determined that the Zalman cooler isn't appropriate. Mostly because there's nothing to stop the cooler from rotating in place, which is an issue I had with my first Zalman cooler years ago. I placed an order for a Noctua NH-D9L.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    I really really miss my old NH-D14. Noctua make some good shit
    It really doesn't. It allows you to make i.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post

Unless you're building a fully passive PC, don't bother. For the same sort of cash you can pick up a Noctua NH-D15 or a Thermalright Silver Arrow that will perform miles better and probably be quieter than every other fan in your machine.

I've got a NH-D15 in my new build, you literally can't hear it over the case fans and by the time it needs to start speeding up the GPU's fans have kicked in.

And if you ARE going fully passive, don't bother with a 3770k. You're not going to be doing any serious overclocking in a passive rig - low power is the way to go.
    And they all have jobs they can barely perform.