hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this fucking thing possessed? (Bombcrater you're my only hope).

Angry Is this fucking thing possessed? (Bombcrater you're my only hope).

Okay, been having some _major_ problems with my PC failing to POST (i.e. no signal) intermittently. Thought I had it isolated to a bad stick of RAM but yesterday it did the same thing.

Okay so today I decided to strip it down component by component. I have it connected to two monitors (just in case). GPU via HDMI, MOBO via HDMI to DP (not sure if it's a two-way connector but that's irrelevant).

Logically before touching anything I force power off (holding power button down) and then shut down power via the main PSU switch.

So as I'm beginning to unplug the GPU the thing spins up. Recoil, and watch in astonishment as all fans (System, CPU, GPU) start spinning up, all lights going, and about 2-3 seconds later it dies.

What.
    The.
    Fuck.

Initial impression is PSU is fucked and everything else is probably questionable at this point. Could find full list of parts. PSU is: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817152044

As I look through the reviews I don't seem to be alone. Granted mine has never suffered from any power loss, it's just a problem in the initial boot. If it boots it chooches.

That's absolutely no surprise that it spun up with the power switched off. This isn't related to the power supply but the likely quite beefy capacitors on the motherboard itself.

As to why it's not posting properly I'd argue it's a fault on the motherboard. When it does boot can you stress test it to see if you can make it crash? If you can max out the cpu, ram and gpu without it crashing then that rules out any obvious problem with those components

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    That's absolutely no surprise that it spun up with the power switched off. This isn't related to the power supply but the likely quite beefy capacitors on the motherboard itself.

As to why it's not posting properly I'd argue it's a fault on the motherboard. When it does boot can you stress test it to see if you can make it crash? If you can max out the cpu, ram and gpu without it crashing then that rules out any obvious problem with those components
    I've ran OC (on GPUs) and full load CPU for extremely long sessions consistently. No hardware problems observed in operation, it's all on boot.

There's just a lot of fans on this machine so I'm really surprised it started humming. Okay, so not crazy then. None of the caps look big but then again technology has gotten better.

What motherboard do you have and what firmware version is it on

I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

BTW, I didn't touch the power when it spun on. I just touched the power cable to one of the GPUs.

GA-F2A88X-D3H is the MB, I don't recall installing a firmware update on it (but not ruling it out).

First of all try a motherboard discharge, keep the PSU unplugged from the wall and hit the power button on the motherboard. Remove everything but the ram and cpu. Storage included, take everything out and remove the motherboard from the case too.

You need to try boot it using the on board GPU alone, check the firmware version and see if that's worth upgrading. The only other thing is there could be a grounding issue so make sure the motherboard is out of the case and on some cardboard and see if it's anymore reliable then too. If it's still giving you posting issues with just the CPU, one stick of ram and the psu connected all while it's sitting on some cardboard then the motherboard is faulty

phoneposting

It's booting now. There was a F_PANEL +PLED - + HD - connector that felt a bit loose. Will feel really dumb if it's been a connector issue.

False Alarm, 50% Failure rate with second stick of good rams.

Lagman is saying ground issue so pulling the fucker out now.

Too lazy to pull out even though that's good advice .

Decided to reset the BIOS and reseat all connections... and tentatively booting. Sample size of ~15. Gonna just clean out all the dust bunnies and then reassemble and hope it wasn't actually a grounding issue.

After cleaning and out and ensuring everything was reseated I gave it 5 reboots. Great, seems to work again.

All I gotta do now is put some parts of the case back and it's fucked again.

Again, no beep, no signal, no GPUs installed, single stick of RAM, HDMI cable connected directly to the MB. The fans are spinning at a normal speed (usually on boot it goes to full power for a few seconds than back to a low level).

Fuck Me. Letting it run for a few minutes and checking the major components with an IR gun but I doubt it's a heat issue. This computer has always been solid _when_ it booted.

Have a close look on the motherboard around the capacitors. Any of them leaky/swollen?

If the PSU is out of warranty I'd take it apart and have a look at the same stuff.

It also may be a grounding issue, do you route any wires under the motherboard by any chance?
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Not grounding. It's booting 100% reliably now that I told the MB that 1.5V ram needs 1.5V and updated firmware.

Windows 10 now absolutely shitting the bed with driver issues. :3

Absolutely. Shitting.

I might just do a fresh install after a try a few more things.

I literally can't get into even cmd anymore, ctrl-alt-delete raises a permission issue and sihost.exe is fucked beyond all measure apparently.

Found out you can trick windows into going to recovery mode by killing the power for three times right after boot screen.

In (hopeful) reset mode now? My RAID0 array with all my games is probably fucked but :care:. Maybe I can recover that (would be nice).

A selection of fuckery for your pleasure, there was also something about an IRQ being borked (couldn't reach for phone fast enough to get full error).

I'm 99% sure it's not grounding, I double checked, nothing behind motherboard and my whole cabling is clean as a whole.

(I started fucking with it when it was still bright out)

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Have a close look on the motherboard around the capacitors. Any of them leaky/swollen?
    Negatory.

If the PSU is out of warranty I'd take it apart and have a look at the same stuff.
    Might try this, but I suspect baseball bat might be more cathartic than a screwdriver.

For further context as long as I've had this PC it would have a 50% chance of booting to a black screen. Like windows was there, but no signal. It never bothered me to too much as I kept it on most of the time and stability in heavy gaming was never a problem.

Hence my suspicion of the grounding / overheating hypothesis.

So windows re-install went surprisingly fast and smoothly.

Meanwhile

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Negatory.

Might try this, but I suspect baseball bat might be more cathartic than a screwdriver.
    Yeah, but you won't find out the answer

For further context as long as I've had this PC it would have a 50% chance of booting to a black screen. Like windows was there, but no signal. It never bothered me to too much as I kept it on most of the time and stability in heavy gaming was never a problem.

Hence my suspicion of the grounding / overheating hypothesis.
    I've had massive issues with my build since I've done it, lots of times it simply would throw temper tantrums at boot, otherwise rock stable. Everything changed when I replaced the PSU, no further issues on that front.

I think it's a mix between the BIOS UEFI shittery and OS shenanigans (fk Win10 with a stick). I've always done my testing on a Win7 testbed then I went to assemble everything and never have I had any issues with the testing. Everything was smooth as butter.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

I remember having alot of problems from simply having a loose screw behind the motherboard that I couldn't be bothered to deal with (laziness 4tl)

Donor
    Not grounding. It's booting 100% reliably now that I told the MB that 1.5V ram needs 1.5V and updated firmware.
    Glad you got it sorted. Sorry for not offering any help, but I'm kinda sick right now and not keeping up with posts.

Had a box die a week ago after starting to throw the "Unknown Hard error" error turns out it was the mobo's hard drive controller shitting the bed, it was basically failing to read & fucking up writes and just corrupting the shit out of the drive. Hopefully yours isn't doing the same because it trashed my drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Had a box die a week ago after starting to throw the "Unknown Hard error" error turns out it was the mobo's hard drive controller shitting the bed, it was basically failing to read & fucking up writes and just corrupting the shit out of the drive. Hopefully yours isn't doing the same because it trashed my drive.
    I had that from a defective stick of RAM, it isn't a specific error. Didn't trash any drive in the process in my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Six shooters ruined PvP.