hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 102 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2529299100101102103 LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2041

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

AMD is rumoured to release 3750 and 3850 before zen 3 launch. Speculation is that they're double chiplets cpus with same 8 core count as the 3700 and 3800 but with double the cache.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    AMD is rumoured to release 3750 and 3850 before zen 3 launch. Speculation is that they're double chiplets cpus with same 8 core count as the 3700 and 3800 but with double the cache.
    sauce?

EDIT: I can see loads of references to the 3750H but that's a mobile SKU with 4Mb

EDIT nvm I'm a derp. Searching on 3750X not just 3750 works better hurr durr
    Last edited by Malcanis; May 22 2020 at 02:24:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Yeah sorry about that. Phonepoasting is too much hassle for this old boomer.

Yeah sorry about that. Phonepoasting is too much hassle for this old boomer.
    I am fairly sure you're gen X, daxling

give v1mmy a smooch while I drink some claret
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Dear hardware thread, I am beginning to fear that my dear old i5-3550 is becoming ever more geriatric, and an upgrade is sorely needed. Unfortunately I´m quite strapped for cash, so it would be somewhat of a budget build.

I think i would keep the following components: m-ATX case, EVGA Supernova 650 G2 PSU, Radeon 5700, Noctua NH-L12S and all my drives (2x SATA SSDs and some spinners)

So I am speculating that the following components would be a reasonable improvement.

16GB of reasonable DDR4
    Ryzen 3100 or 3300X
    And a suitable B550 m-ATX board when released. Im thinking maybe https://asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M%20Pro4/index.asp, 4 ram slots, 6 sata slots and a usable PCI-e layout.

Should give me some upgradeability in the future, if the CPU is short-lived.

Thoughts?
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

I would suggest maybe just one or two more blowjobs behind the bar of the pub where all the sailors hang out and go for the 3600 but yeah your basic plan is spot on. Your existing GPU is more than fine.

The first wave of B550 boards look kinda pricey though.

Ye i'd definitely wait just a tiny bit if needed and get the 3600 instead.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Isn't a B450 also a valid option? Haven't researched this well, so I might be overlooking something.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Isn't a B450 also a valid option? Haven't researched this well, so I might be overlooking something.
    Perfectly valid, i guess he was just a bit spooked by the bios talk from last page in the possibility of an upgrade later.

If you get 3x00 now, I doubt you'd be upgrading to 4x00 anytime soon anyway. I have a 2600x and am not contemplating a switch to the next generation. That one is going to last me a fair bit.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I think that rig could fairly be described as "fucking sweet, mate"

PSU is a bit overkill though, you're not running an Intel spaceheater now

EDIT: I wont lie I am tempted by that 3900X. Be strong, Malc, be strong. Eyes on the prize.
    Thanks! I bought the oversized PSU because I will put my old gtx 970 in there to be used for linux.
    I like my windows virtualized with a GPU passed though. This makes life much easier when dealing with crappy Windows which I only use for gaming anyway.

With the recent price cuts, 3700x is probably the best performance for your money cpu.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    With the recent price cuts, 3700x is probably the best performance for your money cpu.
    I went for the closest possible great part for a person who is clearly on a tight budget judging from their current plan.

A 3700x is significantly more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    I think that rig could fairly be described as "fucking sweet, mate"

PSU is a bit overkill though, you're not running an Intel spaceheater now

EDIT: I wont lie I am tempted by that 3900X. Be strong, Malc, be strong. Eyes on the prize.
    Thanks! I bought the oversized PSU because I will put my old gtx 970 in there to be used for linux.
    I like my windows virtualized with a GPU passed though. This makes life much easier when dealing with crappy Windows which I only use for gaming anyway.
    I assume you can't passthru and use one GPU for this virtualization move and you need a dedicated GPU?

I'm honestly at wits end with Windows following the recent updates and rollbacks and restore from backups that I had to do over the past few days, but I don't have an extra GPU lol.

Edit: could I get a "shitty" AMD GPU for Linux instead? Heard bad things about the NVIDIA Linux drivers and ages ago when I tried they kept breaking X.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    I assume you can't passthru and use one GPU for this virtualization move and you need a dedicated GPU?

I'm honestly at wits end with Windows following the recent updates and rollbacks and restore from backups that I had to do over the past few days, but I don't have an extra GPU lol.

Edit: could I get a "shitty" AMD GPU for Linux instead? Heard bad things about the NVIDIA Linux drivers and ages ago when I tried they kept breaking X.
    Well, the easy answer is No. But its possible to do without.
    Whille the VM is running, the graphics card (and anything else you pass though on a PCI level) belongs exclusively to the guest OS.

But if you don't plan to use a screen and keyboard/mouse on linux while the VM is running, you can do with one graphics card.
    It is just a bit more complicated to setup initially, because you need a script that stops Xserver, unloads the graphics drivers, possibly PCI-resets the card and then starts the VM. and does the reverse when the VM ends.

I find that this is not worth the 50€ you pay for any old graphics card that can do office work.

On the driver side, nvidia works well on linux, but only with the official binary-only driver from nvidia. Unless you have specific reasons why you don't want that on your system, use that and you won't have any problems.

AMD graphics are a bit easier, as the opensource drivers are all you need.
    This is only a dicovery and ease of installation difference, and even that is basically non-existant these days.
    In most distributions, it will either just work, or you just need to install the driver with a package manager and are done.

Amazing stuff. Unfortunately my only other GPU is an ancient X1800XT - I also have a GT250 but it's kinda ded, may look into that - and an ancient Matrox thingie.

Will look into it especially since I have some extra SSDs I could connect and play with so I don't ruin the main system.

Thank you!

Edit: may look into a cheapo card with hardware HEVC decoding, what would that be? (just discovered my Titan X can't into hardware HEVC lmao, it's got a "hybrid" horrendoussness thingie - it has a Maxwell core, not the Pascal).

Amazing stuff. Unfortunately my only other GPU is an ancient X1800XT - I also have a GT250 but it's kinda ded, may look into that - and an ancient Matrox thingie.

Will look into it especially since I have some extra SSDs I could connect and play with so I don't ruin the main system.

Thank you!

Edit: may look into a cheapo card with hardware HEVC decoding, what would that be? (just discovered my Titan X can't into hardware HEVC lmao, it's got a "hybrid" horrendoussness thingie - it has a Maxwell core, not the Pascal).
    I don't know what HEVC is. sorry.

Any old graphics card will do really, as long as its not too old to cause problems with the rest of the system.
    Look on ebay, or ask around. Somone is bound to have something laying around you can stuff in there.

Linux is very good with old hardware. Drivers usually only get kicked out when they are truely ancient. I mean, just recently the floppy disk driver was *UPDATED*.
    So, old stuff should be fine, as long as you don't expect it to do miracles.

HEVC be this. Basically there is hardware acceleration in the actual GPU starting with ?Pascal I think that will decode the video file via GPU directly. Otherwise basically it just cripples your CPU (if your CPU can't into HEVC decoding either).

Funny enough the article I linked provided me with the explanation needed and what to look for

HEVC be this. Basically there is hardware acceleration in the actual GPU starting with ?Pascal I think that will decode the video file via GPU directly. Otherwise basically it just cripples your CPU (if your CPU can't into HEVC decoding either).

Funny enough the article I linked provided me with the explanation needed and what to look for
    Glad to have helped

sauce?

EDIT: I can see loads of references to the 3750H but that's a mobile SKU with 4Mb

EDIT nvm I'm a derp. Searching on 3750X not just 3750 works better hurr durr
    Oh ffs, I'm waiting to upgrade for ZEN3 and they keep releasing stuff that's not it.