hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 75 of 79 FirstFirst ... 256572737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1568

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Do you guys actually use wifi for desktops?
    Yes. Wiring the bedrooms in my house would be a major pain, and 802.11g is enough for our needs. If I need more bandwidth (Steam updates and such), I break out the 50' cable and run it down the stairs.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

I live in a rented house and on a different floor to where the router is placed, so there would be some distance to cover running a cable, I would need to get landlord approval for drilling holes etc., buy cables and cable ducts or the like, and then I would have to redo all that every time I move somewhere else. With a decent quality AC router (which I would get anyway) and a decent AC card I get good ac-level wifi (around 500Mbps) throughput which is more than sufficient for what I do with the desktop PC.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I live in a rented house and on a different floor to where the router is placed, so there would be some distance to cover running a cable, I would need to get landlord approval for drilling holes etc., buy cables and cable ducts or the like, and then I would have to redo all that every time I move somewhere else. With a decent quality AC router (which I would get anyway) and a decent AC card I get good ac-level wifi (around 500Mbps) throughput which is more than sufficient for what I do with the desktop PC.
    You can turn your power sockets into a LAN.

Or use repeaters.
    The Epic Store is amazing, I've been able to save so much money by not buying their games.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    You can turn your power sockets into a LAN.

Or use repeaters.
    I used a powerline network for the top floor in our current house for a bit and the bandwidth was very bad (10 mbit with a "500mbit adapter" bad); I understand this is because powerline adapters are not that great in general and the electric circuity in English houses makes them even worse. I don't need an alternative to wifi for my desktop anyway as I was trying to point out.

Filth
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using wifi if situation demands it lol.

As a proper degenerate, I indeed use wifi in my desktop and I do not lubricate my keyboard!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GeromeDoutrande again.

Guns make the news, science doesn't.

It did it was ok then I just taped cable to the wall

As a proper degenerate, I indeed use wifi in my desktop and I do not lubricate my keyboard!
    That can't help your haemorrhoids
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    i used wifi for my desktop for a while, but the random latency just got irritating so in the end i paid for a man to come and drill lots of holes in my house and run cat5 through it.

disclaimer, the router couldn't really get close to my room and the walls are very thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    It did it was ok then I just taped cable to the wall
    This has been done for many rented houses use some masking tape and not only does it remove safely against most rental paint schemes it blends right in. Current place our computers are all in the same rooms as the router, however the ether net cable to the missus PC goes around the ceiling as the dog for some reason loves to chew it....in half.
    Wifi though for amazon TV devices upstairs as well as tablets phones etc.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Ordered my new computer stuff yesterday, thank you all for your feedback. I was wondering how frequently you good people tend to update your main computer bits (i.e. motherboard & CPU) - my current one is four and a half years old, would that about average?

My last CPU/MB upgrade was in 2013 (4930K + Rampage IV Extreme) and my last GPU upgrade was in 2015 (Titan X Maxwell core). I don't feel the need to upgrade just yet
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Put my Ryzen rig together summer 2019, bought my i5 4690k in 2014 and the i5 750 in 2010.

Didn't really have to upgrade my last rig but my niece needed a computer and I had an itch. Before my 2010 upgrade I was on much faster upgrade cycles but requirements hasn't risen as steeply since then.

My old Phenom 965 lasted from 2010 to 2018 when I got this Ryzen 2700, so 8 years, but tbf my scheme is to upgrade it with a Ryzen 3 a couple years after they launch, when they hit the kind of price point that 2700s are now.

PS 159 for a 2700 on Amazon now. 8c/16t for under 160 quid... what a time to be alive. It's like the K7/K8 days again.
    I love Malcanis!

I think I've built my previous system (Athlon II / Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 board) sometime around 2009, and that's been slowly wheezing along until the Ryzen box I've built last year. It's... been quite the upgrade.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    My old Phenom 965 lasted from 2010 to 2018 when I got this Ryzen 2700, so 8 years, but tbf my scheme is to upgrade it with a Ryzen 3 a couple years after they launch, when they hit the kind of price point that 2700s are now.

PS 159 for a 2700 on Amazon now. 8c/16t for under 160 quid... what a time to be alive. It's like the K7/K8 days again.
    notbad. Shame my upgrade path would also include a not awful motherboard and they get a bit pricier. B350 regrets

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

notbad. Shame my upgrade path would also include a not awful motherboard and they get a bit pricier. B350 regrets
    Then you probably shouldn't even start to worry about it until the 5000 series comes out in 2021. If you're going to have to get a new board anyway, you might as well go for Socket AM5, DDR5, PCIE4/5 and whatever goodness 5nm process brings. Or maybe even whatever Intel produce if they've decided they still want to compete in the desktop CPU market.

PS Which B350? Some of them will run Ryzen 2s
    I love Malcanis!

I thought all boards were compatible (as long as they got a BIOS update)?
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Some manufacturers are better than others in updating BIOSs, especially when it comes to low end boards.
    I love Malcanis!