hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 738

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

  1. #181
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    1,045
    Premium fans are a meme

  2. #182
    Straight Hustlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    10,406
    Went with dual AIO's for my new build and I am quite happy with it. Shit runs nice and incredibly cool and it makes barely any noise compared to my old rig with a neptwin cpu cooler & blower gfx card which sounded like an angry wind tunnel.

    One thing that kind of bothers me about AIO's though is that (at least from what I saw) they all run coolants which are conductive, when there are plenty of options which are non-conductive, which granted are either less viscous or more expensive; but still, it would go a long way to assuage peoples fears of frying their machine.

  3. #183
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Premium fans are a meme
    I replaced all the stock fans in my case with Noctuas shortly after I rebuilt this machine, and before adding any extras I was 10c cooler.

    They're definitely not a priority (I have four in my case and that was the best part of seventy quid) but they can be a nice finishing touch.

    There are other options if you hate the look of Noctua fans, which I know a lot of people do.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

  4. #184
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,173
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Could be, but from my experience with watercooling in general, there's more maintenance than it's worth it. Good air cooler means opening the case once in a blue moon and hoover the dust bunnies, with water there's gunk and what not. Not to mention if the pump kicks the bucket.

    Idk, overall air just seems more durable tbh.
    AIOs are pre-sealed and the coolant is probably 90% biocidal inhibitors.

    Obviously a custom loop you run into those issues but I pretty much never recommend custom loop; the cost alone is enough to make it not worth it unless you're srsbsns.

    Both have their place - I've used AIOs previously and am currently using an NH-D15.
    I still have my 1999 HP Pavilion 8580C, of course with adjustments like a GeForce 2 Pro added and a 3dFX Voodoo 2 12MB and still use it for old games and stuff. Nothing AIO could withstand 18 years.
    Do you use the stupid CD-tray on top?
    Keeping a few original stuff there like Porsche Unleashed which I play frequently.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Except the last 4, 5 intel sockets have used the exact same bracket mounting. AM3 and AM4 are cross-compatible unless it's a custom backplate.

    The fans on AIOs are replaceable.

    I know you don't like AIOs and there are many valid reasons for that but they do have a valid use case.
    Yes, you do have a point with the sockets

    The fans are replaceable, if the pump fails, all fails. If it leaks, it doesn't have standard replaceable gaskets and stuff that you can find on the custom loops. It has liquid inside, which in time degrades.

    I'd rather have a custom loop than an AIO simply because you can stock on fittings and gaskets and stuff that can fail in time.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  5. #185
    walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Posts
    6,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Could be, but from my experience with watercooling in general, there's more maintenance than it's worth it. Good air cooler means opening the case once in a blue moon and hoover the dust bunnies, with water there's gunk and what not. Not to mention if the pump kicks the bucket.

    Idk, overall air just seems more durable tbh.
    AIOs are pre-sealed and the coolant is probably 90% biocidal inhibitors.

    Obviously a custom loop you run into those issues but I pretty much never recommend custom loop; the cost alone is enough to make it not worth it unless you're srsbsns.

    Both have their place - I've used AIOs previously and am currently using an NH-D15.
    I still have my 1999 HP Pavilion 8580C, of course with adjustments like a GeForce 2 Pro added and a 3dFX Voodoo 2 12MB and still use it for old games and stuff. Nothing AIO could withstand 18 years.
    Do you use the stupid CD-tray on top?
    Keeping a few original stuff there like Porsche Unleashed which I play frequently.
    Cool, used to have the same-ish computer. It was a Pentium 3 667, with a Riva TNT 2. Was p.awesome.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

  6. #186
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,247
    Swiftech and others are now putting out open loop AIOs - they come completely plug and play but can be customised, elements added, coolant replaced, all that. Could be a good halfway house for people.

    I still have my P3 500/TNT2 box somewhere, think I've cannibalised most of it over the years but the CPU/mobo is still there.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

  7. #187
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Who fucking knows
    Posts
    4,699
    water cooling is a lot like water I could take it or leave it in all honesty

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

    phoneposting

  8. #188

    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    water cooling is a lot like water I could take it or leave it in all honesty
    Oh that statement triggers me.

  9. #189
    halka's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19, 2011
    Location
    SVK
    Posts
    2,038
    Something bothering you, Laggers? You seem kinda different lately.

    Anyway, woop, upgraded my desktop after like 12 years. Nothing top of the line, mind. Or rather, still in the process of upgrading:

    1) bought a Ryzen 5, an x370 itx mobo, and a small Phanteks case, figuring I'd bum some decommissioned RAM from work
    2) slapped it together, the CPU power cable barely reaches, since the power supply predated PSU shrouds at bottom of case
    3) motherfucker wouldn't stop rebooting after power on
    4) grabbed the beeper from the old case, indicates RTC malfunction
    5) CMOS clear, battery disconnect don't work (also, CMOS clear jumper under the GFX overhang was a stroke of mobo design genius, had to take the whole thing off)
    6) RMA the mobo
    7) same shit keeps happening
    8) depression, few days pass, suddenly a lot of free time on my hands. get a lot of reading done. fall in love with a different case design (Meshify C).
    9) find out the RAM I borrowed was ECC (...)
    10) purchase of the first pair of 3000MHz RAM modules that are on manufacturer's tested list (white LEDs are happening). add a new case and PSU to the order.
    11) Das Boot \o/

    Windows apparently doesn't mind that everything but the OS drive and GFX was replaced, but I will have to reinstall anyway, since it's giving me some unrelated trouble and still runs under legacy BIOS. I've wired the new case, but don't think I'll finish it before the holidays start (off to visit the family). Well, at least there's something to look forward to when I get back.

    TL;DR: my browser no longer chokes on the YIFF thread.
    Last edited by halka; December 14 2017 at 12:34:58 PM.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

  10. #190
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Swiftech and others are now putting out open loop AIOs - they come completely plug and play but can be customised, elements added, coolant replaced, all that. Could be a good halfway house for people.

    I still have my P3 500/TNT2 box somewhere, think I've cannibalised most of it over the years but the CPU/mobo is still there.
    This is cool and wasn't aware of, sounds p. solid
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  11. #191
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    9,592
    Noctua fan arrived today and installed. LED strip and case speaker on their way. Extremely close to being done.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  12. #192
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    9,592
    Last two components arrived. Installed. LED strip doesn't work. Damn it!

    Pictures will come anyways.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  13. #193
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Who fucking knows
    Posts
    4,699
    leds are for benders

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

    phoneposting

  14. #194
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    leds are for benders
    Pony faggot is awful taste SHOCK!

  15. #195
    Straight Hustlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    10,406
    Stuck pixel in my new monitor after 1 month, fml.

  16. #196
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,420
    The Crucial BX300 SSDs are back on short term offers, 120GB £44 for 4 hours, 240GB £62 for today.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  17. #197
    Donor
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,363
    If you're running an Intel CPU, prepare to be doing things a bit more slowly soon:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01...u_design_flaw/

  18. #198
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,420
    Can't wait for x86 to fucking die you piece of shit
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  19. #199
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    9,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    If you're running an Intel CPU, prepare to be doing things a bit more slowly soon:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01...u_design_flaw/
    If AMD is right and they're not affected, I expect Ryzen to gain even more market share.

    edit: hmmmmmm
    Last edited by Nordstern; January 3 2018 at 01:35:58 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  20. #200

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    If you're running an Intel CPU, prepare to be doing things a bit more slowly soon:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01...u_design_flaw/
    If AMD is right and they're not affected, I expect Ryzen to gain even more market share.

    edit: hmmmmmm
    Yeah was thinking if the 5 to 30% performance decrease is true ryzen became a lot more attractive here of not affected

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •