hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 174 of 175 FirstFirst ... 74124164171172173174175 LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 3492

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

For my usecase I couldn't even argue for a gen 4 SSD over a gen 3. A second of loadtime here and there is not worth the premium.

At least that was my previous position. Just checked and a WD Gen 4 1TB drive is only 20 EUR more that a Samsung 980 1 TB right now. Worth the premium I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    Can I put them on a raid0?
    Don't ever do this. RAID 0 is purely for benchmark scores. All it does in the real world is double your chance of data loss without any tangible benefit.
    It's also especially pointless when a PCIE4 NVME drive can theoretically transfer at something like 8000MB/s, and at the consumer level nothing really comes close to properly utilising that kind of bandwidth, apart from maybe a PS5. RAID0 might have had some excuse when we were using 40-80MB/s platter HDDs. Now it's just meaningless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    For my usecase I couldn't even argue for a gen 4 SSD over a gen 3. A second of loadtime here and there is not worth the premium.

At least that was my previous position. Just checked and a WD Gen 4 1TB drive is only 20 EUR more that a Samsung 980 1 TB right now. Worth the premium I suppose
    I have a 980 pro gen 4, they are not much more expensive and when the streaming direct from your SSD tech makes it to games in a few years it will eb worth it. And getting gen5 pcie means you can upgrade if you want when the time comes.

DDR5 seems only a bit more than DDR4 at this point, and new gen CPU's are gonna want to use DDR5 on their mobos. So for the price point im sticking to my guns

Regarding Raid0, I'm not storing anything delicate, we are talking game storage. Basically my biggest gripe is that I dont like having multiple drive letters. So I was thinking Raid0 with 3x 1TB nvme's would give me great read/write speeds, a single drive letter for steam adn epic plus be a little less effort for me. Is this possible inside windows 10 through computer mangement window?
    Paging Mashie

Would Mashie Seldana please report to this thread to talk about btrfs
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

I have a 980 pro gen 4, they are not much more expensive and when the streaming direct from your SSD tech makes it to games in a few years it will eb worth it. And getting gen5 pcie means you can upgrade if you want when the time comes.

DDR5 seems only a bit more than DDR4 at this point, and new gen CPU's are gonna want to use DDR5 on their mobos. So for the price point im sticking to my guns

Regarding Raid0, I'm not storing anything delicate, we are talking game storage. Basically my biggest gripe is that I dont like having multiple drive letters. So I was thinking Raid0 with 3x 1TB nvme's would give me great read/write speeds, a single drive letter for steam adn epic plus be a little less effort for me. Is this possible inside windows 10 through computer mangement window?
    Paging Mashie

I time-travelled to bring you the following vital information:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...ves-windows-10

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

Paging Mashie

RAID0 is just bad.

Why not simply mount two of the NVME's as sub folders to your main NVME if you are allergic to drive letters? https://www.windowscentral.com/how-m...der-windows-10

At least when a drive goes bad you still have some data left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    RAID0 is just bad.

Why not simply mount two of the NVME's as sub folders to your main NVME if you are allergic to drive letters? https://www.windowscentral.com/how-m...der-windows-10

One word - speed. RAID 0 has its uses and it doesn't go bad that often anyway, otherwise it would not be an industry standard for people just running benchmarks, let's be serious

Also, a RAID array even with redundancy and hot spares doesn not a backup make - as you well know

Defence: Raid0 is theoretically a thing for 4k render workstation scratch disks.

Practicality: it's not a thing. Stop.
    technology canít solve economic and political problems

Defence: Raid0 is theoretically a thing for 4k render workstation scratch disks.

Practicality: it's not a thing. Stop.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    RAID0 is just bad.

One word - speed. RAID 0 has its uses and it doesn't go bad that often anyway, otherwise it would not be an industry standard for people just running benchmarks, let's be serious

Also, a RAID array even with redundancy and hot spares doesn not a backup make - as you well know
    The speed of any remotely fast SSD these days is larger than Windows can handle anyway. RAID 0 gives you no actual speed benefits and is for people who like boasting with screenshots of large numbers IMNSHO. It isn't an industry standard for people running benchmarks, as it completely obscures what is actually happening with your hardware. In a LOT of cases (at least with software RAID, which is what most cheap "RAID" cards do too) RAID 0 is actually slower than just using two different SSD's at the same time. Sure, CrystalDiskMark will give you large numbers but that is a completely synthetic benchmark, actually doing something with the data on the disks will paint a completely different picture.

If you really want more speed than a single SSD can give you and you actually know what you're doing and you still want some real redundancy (RAID 0 isn't even RAID as the R doesn't apply) go RAID 10 or something. "RAID" 0 is just really really really dumb.

If the goal is to not split stuff over multiple drive letters use the other tips on this page. I'll add another one specifically for Steam: Steam makes it really easy these days to have multiple libraries on multiple drives and even move games between them. If you lose one drive you'll only lose the data on that drive and you won't have to spend a week reinstalling everything on your PC (unless you're unlucky and it was the C: drive).

I just bought some Corsair LPX DDR4 3200 1.35V because the price dropped significantly and it will allow me to move my dual fan Noctua cooler to my newer PC which is built with secondhand parts I got for free.

The motherboard supports 3200 (and higher) as an "overclock" but says voltage should be kept under 1.35V to protect Kaby Lake processors. Board is MSI Z270 Gaming Plus.

So my question is should I 1) Attempt to underclock/volt the RAM to specs the motherboard considers "standard", or 2) Just run at the spec on the box because people have been using 1.35V with Kaby Lake for years with no issues?

Secondly, do I need to up the voltage on the CPU as well to run the RAM at "overclock" speeds?

edit: MSI's own overclocking utility lets you increase the voltage with my existing RAM to 1.4V before before a warning pops up
    Last edited by Boltorano; July 20 2022 at 10:41:10 AM.

I'm a big fan of leaving voltages alone.
    What are the gains ?

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    I just bought some Corsair LPX DDR4 3200 1.35V because the price dropped significantly and it will allow me to move my dual fan Noctua cooler to my newer PC which is built with secondhand parts I got for free.

The motherboard supports 3200 (and higher) as an "overclock" but says voltage should be kept under 1.35V to protect Kaby Lake processors. Board is MSI Z270 Gaming Plus.

So my question is should I 1) Attempt to underclock/volt the RAM to specs the motherboard considers "standard", or 2) Just run at the spec on the box because people have been using 1.35V with Kaby Lake for years with no issues?

Secondly, do I need to up the voltage on the CPU as well to run the RAM at "overclock" speeds?

edit: MSI's own overclocking utility lets you increase the voltage with my existing RAM to 1.4V before before a warning pops up
    Usually you need to bump the voltages a bit on the CPU as well, specifically for the IMC of the CPU so it holds the DRAM frequency.

What I'd do in your situation is load optimized defaults -> shut down -> install new RAM -> boot PC -> enter BIOS -> load XMP settings -> save and exit. Boot windows and run a few loops of something RAM intensive, also use your PC and see how it goes.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

DDR4 is fine to use up to 1,4V for daily usage if you're fiddling with timings and need some extra stability, don't let 1,35 volt bother you. It's the XMP value after all that is set by the memory manufacturer.

Kaby Lake only officially supports 2400Mhz memory but I've never heard of anyone failing to run at 3200Mhz. I very much doubt you need to increase the voltage to the memory controller. (CPU VCCIO on ASUS mobo's, probably a different name on MSI)

Was looking to buy 32Gb of said Corsair LPX DDR4 3200 myself this weekend but decided against it. I realized I was just bored and wanted to fiddle with something new and didn't really need it.

In the end all I had to do was enable XMP and everything seems to be working without manual adjustments. That said I run most games at 1080p so I'm not exactly stressing the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    I'm a big fan of leaving voltages alone.
    What are the gains ?
    My old RAM was 1.2V. The board supports the new RAM but it's considered overclock/volting. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    In the end all I had to do was enable XMP and everything seems to be working without manual adjustments. That said I run most games at 1080p so I'm not exactly stressing the hardware.
    Good stuff, I wouldn't bother further than that ^^

Memory voltage is a funny creature.

In my AMD system I have a Corsair LPX 128GB (4 x 32GB) DDR4 3200MHz memory kit, it is fully supported according to the QVL and such. However at XMP settings (3200MHz, 1.35v) it would not boot. I manually bumped it to 1.36v and it has been rock solid ever since.

It has been rumoured that XMP is mostly for Intel-based systems, apparently with AMD not so much. I was lucky, my GSkill 4x32GB works great with XMP settings out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    It has been rumoured that XMP is mostly for Intel-based systems, apparently with AMD not so much. I was lucky, my GSkill 4x32GB works great with XMP settings out of the box.
    No rumour, it's indeed an Intel standard. It's really just information to the BIOS what speeds the memory stick can handle.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/x...%20be%20stable.

If you're uncertain about RAM compatability always check your Mobo manufacturors QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for your specific model. They tend to be quite extensive.