hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 175764656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1384

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

So I found. Weird that the 3200 CAS16 was fine but the 3000 CAS15 wasn't - basically the same timing and faster frequency, same manufacturer... well whatever. I'm happy to have that bit of extra bandwidth.

Anyway, the base machine is where I want it now, and that should last me 5 years easily.

I shall now turn my attention to the R5800/5900 pre-hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Those are all mobile anyway.

And Holy fuck the naming on them is obtuse as fuck. Knowing the fuck you're getting in your laptop is going tk be nigh impossible without some proper research, even worse than it already is, and it sucks.

Fuck you Intel.

This, as well as the strides AMD is making regarding CPUs will make my next build 100% AMD based. Still debating on number of cores and waiting on 8 RAM slots motherboards though. My current Intel build should last me another year or so (bought in 2013). P. good mileage tbqfh.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    This, as well as the strides AMD is making regarding CPUs will make my next build 100% AMD based. Still debating on number of cores and waiting on 8 RAM slots motherboards though. My current Intel build should last me another year or so (bought in 2013). P. good mileage tbqfh.
    Stuff like 8 RAM slots is going to be the Threadripper niche, so if that's what you insist on, prepare your wallet's anus for an intrusion of considerable girth.

NB: X570 chipsets support 32Gb sticks so you can have 128Gb - that wouldn't be enough? It feels like a lot.

eg: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...E-rev-10/sp#sp
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Those are all mobile anyway.

And Holy fuck the naming on them is obtuse as fuck. Knowing the fuck you're getting in your laptop is going tk be nigh impossible without some proper research, even worse than it already is, and it sucks.

Fuck you Intel.
    This is the article I meant to link, which talks about Comet Lake-S.
    Comet Lake-S is the codename for Intel's desktop processors that will eventually show up to replace the existing Coffee Lake Refresh (CFL-R) lineup. The new processors are very likely carved with an improved 14nm production process. Comet Lake-S chips will carry up to 10 cores, two more than the current flagship Intel Core i9-9900K part. It would seem that the extra cores come with a cost. If the leaked information is accurate, the flagship Comet Lake-S is rated with a 125W TDP (thermal design power), which is 30W higher than the Intel Core i9-9900K's 95W rating. As expected, Intel will continue to offer 65W and 35W Comet Lake-S parts as well.

The core upgrade on Comet Lake-S implicates steeper power requirements, and as a result, calls for fresh motherboards with stronger power delivery subsystems. This could be one of the main reasons why Intel is supposedly moving the upcoming 14nm chips to a new home. Therefore, Comet Lake-S processors will reportedly only fit into a motherboard with an LGA 1200 socket, 49 more pins than the existing LGA 1151 socket. As per usual, new motherboards give Intel the opportunity to introduce new chipset silicon, which in this case, is rumored to be the 400-series.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

From what I hear they're essentially skipping 10nm with only a couple of three of their fabs continuing with the upgrade, and looking to 7nm to get back on track in late 2020/ early 2021.
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Stuff like 8 RAM slots is going to be the Threadripper niche, so if that's what you insist on, prepare your wallet's anus for an intrusion of considerable girth.

NB: X570 chipsets support 32Gb sticks so you can have 128Gb - that wouldn't be enough? It feels like a lot.

eg: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...E-rev-10/sp#sp
    I would rather have lower density sticks and more of them than higer density and hotter sticks, but will see at that moment in time. 128GB RAM will be the target, yes, at the moment I'm super comfortable with 64GB but I can still fill them up quite quickly with Premiere/After Effects if I go overboard.

As much as it will cost, it will still be better value than Intel and likely faster if this keeps going like this (hopefully it will).

I really love the X570 from Gigabyte tho, so will see. That VRM seems like it could power anything I may be wanting to throw at it

Point taken about the density, and the smaller sticks are generally happier to run faster also.

Well we haven't seen the new gen Threadrippers or chipsets yet, and I can't imagine that the motherboards will be built to a lower standard than the X570s. If you're happy throwing srsbsns money at an upgrade, then double the memory channels (and presumably more PCIe lanes as well) is a genuine consideration.
    I love Malcanis!

Did a bit of maintenance today to add in a 3x 3.5'' HDD thingie in 2 5.25'' slots that were free, moved the video card to another PCIe slot 16x in preparation for the Accelero Xtreme. Had to move the Xonar D2x to a PCIe 8x slot from the only PCIe 2x. Result is that the system doesn't see it anymore albeit there is power to the card. Will have to reopen the whole thing and resite the card after blowing some compressed air in it. But I simply don't have the energy to do it today.

Yes, indeed waiting to see what AMD comes up with next is what I'm doing at the moment. I'd rather have a nice GPU option as well, the Titan RTX is simply retard priced, I paid 900 quid for my Maxwell Titan X but I'm not happy to pay almost three times that. Maybe they'll put out something interesting in that price bracket that will stand the test of time - the Maxwell Titan actually still is a fantastic card I'm happy with. The retarded 12GB VRAM it comes with certainly helps with that. I can't wait to put on the aftermarket cooling and crank it up to 1.5GHz core (it can do it on stock cooling but it's simply too hot to uphold it).

Unless you're perceptibly constrained by your GPU, I'd say hang on for a year and maybe see what options PCIe4 brings to the table. Best case, nvidia react to a real or perceived threat from AMD and pause their project to see how much more they can possibly charge chumps for a 10% improved refresh and actually bring something new to the table.
    I love Malcanis!

The retarded 12GB VRAM it comes with certainly helps with that.
    I'd be inclined to agree with you, but I saw a demo yesterday of Final Fantasy XV running at 4K max settings on a 2080Ti. GPU usage was 99% and it touched 10GB of VRAM. So 12GB is no longer absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I'd be inclined to agree with you, but I saw a demo yesterday of Final Fantasy XV running at 4K max settings on a 2080Ti. GPU usage was 99% and it touched 10GB of VRAM. So 12GB is no longer absurd.
    Hasn't been for a while. It's why I wouldn't buy a card with <8gb these days anymore and why the 2060 was balls. >.>

It was completely bonkers when it came out, remember, it's the same generation as the 970 with 3.5GB of useful RAM. Thing is, it can still use them quite well. Probably the first game that pushed this card really hard was GTA V.

@Cosmin Threadripper rumourage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5NbDDOcRVw

AMD stuff starts about 5:15
    I love Malcanis!

I finally manned up and mounted the Accelero IV Xtreme. The temperature delta is astonishing, card went from 80 in idle to 30 now (case open, testing). It turned it into a 4 slot behemoth and I suspect it is only dislodge-able via a Sherman tank now but it's totally worth it.

At the same time I had to use a PCIe 1x riser card to mount the Xonar D2X, but that was op success too, lost access to its microphone port in the proces but that really is it (I only need the headphones but most of all the SPDIF out).

Going to wrap things up and flash a 1.5GHz modded BIOS for a 50% o/c to the GPU core and enjoy the silence.

I put an Accelereo on a GTX970 a few years ago, also with excellent results.

I feel like ff xv isn't a great benchmarker because while it does have honestly the best gfx I've ever seen, it is horribly optimized

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    I feel like ff xv isn't a great benchmarker because while it does have honestly the best gfx I've ever seen, it is horribly optimized

Based on what? It isn't really, can run on really weak shit if you knock stuff down.

You want amazing graphics you have to use that power, and especially some of those nvidia effects are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post

Based on what? It isn't really, can run on really weak shit if you knock stuff down.

You want amazing graphics you have to use that power, and especially some of those nvidia effects are ridiculous.
    Based on its memory leaks that have existed since it launched and its annoying tendency to CTD. There are also some issues unique to the steam version, micro stutter and what not, that neither valve nor squaresoft care to address.