hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Athlon x4 950 is compatible with AM4 socket motherboards.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

I see, it's the old Bulldozer/piledriver architecture.

Donor
    Yep, old trash. Ryzen based APUs and Athlons won't be out on AM4 until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Ryzen is Zen architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkening View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Ryzen is Zen architecture.
    I see I've had my Captain Obvious title stolen from me.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; October 21 2017 at 02:02:10 PM.

AFAIK that Athlon is rather okay for 60 bux.
      Spoiler:
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    also i like walrus.
    Yer a hoot

Seeing how a Ryzen 3 1200 is 50-60$ more I'd agree. I noticed it has a fairly low TDP of 65W while still on a 28nm process which I found interesting.

Regardless, I'd spend the extra money on a Ryzen 3 easily.

Donor
    Seems like Hell just froze over. Those rumours about an Intel CPU with AMD graphics? Turns out they're true. Intel has announced a new mobile x64 CPU with a custom on-package AMD Radeon GPU and HBM2 memory:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12003...bm2-using-emib

In more Intel news, they've hired the former AMD graphics boss, and will now start making discrete graphics cards. Will it float?
      Spoiler:
    Also:
    also i like walrus.
    Yer a hoot

Donor
    From what they've said so far Intel is clearly aiming at the high end compute market. That is easier to compete in than the consumer GPU space, since compute is much less sensitive to price and power use, plus they don't need to put in the effort to create a driver stack that works perfectly with a zillion badly written games.

It won't happen quickly, though. Any project Raja starts when he gets to Intel will not hit the market for 4-5 years. And while Intel has access to all of AMD's patents, including the graphics stuff, that doesn't cover graphics IP. So any design Intel produces will need to bear no resemblance whatsoever to any AMD designs Raja had access to, or AMD will sue and tie the whole thing up in court for years.

My take on this whole situation is that Intel has looked at the increasingly lucrative GPU compute market that is dominated by NVidia and wants to own it, or at least kill NV and have a cosy duopoly with AMD. The Kaby Lake-G announcement is a good pointer; laptop GPUs are a huge market for NVidia, and Kaby-G has the potential to hurt team green pretty badly there. A 4C/8T i7 with on-package near RX470 level graphics? Simplified and cheaper board designs? OEMs will drop NV's performance laptop parts like they are hot bricks.

So, rant mode on. I decided to build a Threadripper 1950x system as an experiment for our CAD stations to see what it could to. Very nice Fractal case, Nvidia Quadro P4000, Corsair PSU and RAM and a fucking Asus Zenith Extreme X399 board.

Short story, after much swearing, youtubing and more swearing and forum questing, I RMA'ed both the board and the CPU because the TR4 CPU cage is impossible to close without applying enormous force to the three locking screws. According to someone on Reddit, there are two actual board manufacturers; Foxcon and another one and apparently the Foxcon boards have tolerances that are so huge that the CPUs slide around the holding bracket unless you place and align them yourself.

I really, truly hope that Asus gets this sorted out, because there are so many complaints out there, it's easy to see how it could damage the brand.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Wifi speed. It's half duplex, right?

Lets say the connection is 100mbit.
    In my experience you get like 30 - 50 mbit. Is that because you get 50/50 up/down?
    Or do you get 50mbit because of some other fuckery and you have to share the last 50 for both up and down? (Resulting in 25/25)
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post

I really, truly hope that Asus gets this sorted out, because there are so many complaints out there, it's easy to see how it could damage the brand.
    I watched a video of how to mount one when Threadripper was released and it seemed super easy. What went wrong? (I was tired and falling asleep and the video started rolling after another one, not like I go looking for this stuff.)

That looks like no problem at all compared to putting the stock cooler over my Ryzen 1700 on a Gibabyte board. Maybe the backing plate for the screws was loose like in this guide vid, but some serious downward force was needed to get opposite threads to catch and keep it level.

I wonder if you missed the cage rails on that Threadripper, and crushed them down?

Root, are you comparing mbit vs mByte (should be larger difference unless a higher starting value)? Or maybe there's 10:8 bit encoding:data, or some other protocol aspects where the speed is raw bit bandwidth but practically everyone runs with packet headers etc that eats a %?
    A quick google suggests indeed wifi is half whereas ethernet is full duplex. At least as of a couple of years ago, while full duplex wifi was still being actively developed.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; November 13 2017 at 08:50:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Wifi speed. It's half duplex, right?

Lets say the connection is 100mbit.
    In my experience you get like 30 - 50 mbit. Is that because you get 50/50 up/down?
    Or do you get 50mbit because of some other fuckery and you have to share the last 50 for both up and down? (Resulting in 25/25)
    WiFi is half duplex. The headline figures quoted by manufacturers are generally receive and transmit bandwidth combined, with the hardware working in a perfect environment. In the real world you're going to get channel congestion, though. Modern 802.11ac routers work with 160MHz wide channels, so there's only room for two channels in the available spectrum when working at full speed. As soon as a third WiFi station pops up anywhere in range the router has to fall back to one of the 80/40/20MHz modes, cutting speed.

Ok, so when you connect to a wifi network and the OS/driver/ui/foo says it has a 100 .. cows/s
    That means I can upload and download 50 cows per second at the same time (in lab conditions, minus the protocol overhead)

And then you download a large file, no upload. How many cows per second can you theoretical get in good conditions? Is it 50 - overhead? Or 100-overhead?
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Donor
    It's 100 minus overhead, as WiFi switches between receive and transmit when needed. It's not a hard 50/50 split. The overhead is usually very substantial; encoding overhead, ACKs, interference, gapping, collisions, etc. WiFi is pretty much black magic, but I would not expect to ever get more than 60% of the indicated connection speed.

(for lulz I just speed checked my '150Mbps' WiFi, at a range of around 2ft it maxes out at 17.6Mbps due to congestion...)

Damn congestion... the 2.4 ghz spectrum in my flat:

The highest peak is my router, 3 meters away.
      Spoiler:
    Also:
    also i like walrus.
    Yer a hoot

But 5Ghz isn't ~the same freq as mobiles, cordless house phones & bad microwaves iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    But 5Ghz isn't ~the same freq as mobiles, cordless house phones & bad microwaves iirc.
    Also with the way that WiFi works there can only be one message, in an area, on a channel at a time. Period. So more channels = more speed. Just inherently. Unless you're the only WiFi source in range.

Also speak now gents, I just pulled the trigger: