hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 131 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3181121128129130131
Results 2,601 to 2,613 of 2613

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

idk what I am doing, but I want to build a PC (I know. Baby's first build.) Feel free to tell me I am bad and I should change things:

CPU: Ryzen 5000 series. Specifics are TBD
    GPU: RTX 3080. Specifics are TBD

Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler
    Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
    G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory <--- idk if 3600Mhz ram is worth it. I do want 32GB. I tried understanding RAM, but idk if 4x8 GB sticks or 2x16 sticks are better. Thoughts?
    Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    Lian Li O11D XL-W ATX Full Tower Case + (4) ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan <--- Case doesn't come with fans. Probably excessive, but I want this case to last a while. And it's a great case if I decide to go water cooling in the future.
    Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Why are X570 cheaper for you than B550?!

With the budget you're showing, probably do either get a NVMe with DRAM cache, or SLC over TLC, or just get the latter as an SSD. The MX500 2TB is on a decent price now in the UK.
    But equally, if it's good enough for you, it's good enough, and prices will only come down from NAND and PCIe gen4 SSD controllers.

P.S. Why a Noctua but not dual tower variant for futureproofing? Just buy one once and be done with it, or don't buy a Noctua at all.
    because 80's beige and poop brown is not my thing, while the picked one comes as black.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Do you need an X570? B550 offers PCIE 4 on the GPU slot and the first SSD slot.
    and it's 20 dkk more expensive.
    Fair enough then

Ok, Alventi's build list as proposed:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£280.00)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler (£89.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard (£194.95 @ AWD-IT)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£183.64 @ Newegg UK)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£119.42 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card (£742.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Lian Li O11D XL-W ATX Full Tower Case (£195.38 @ Newegg UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£109.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1915.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-28 11:11 GMT+0000

I'd suggest these tweaks:
    You get a better, dual tower cooler, and they do make it in black, Liare!
    because 80's beige and poop brown is not my thing, while the picked one comes as black.
    You could also get away fine with a ~£35 tower, or go with 240mm AIO for this price though...
    You get 3600MT/s RAM, yes it's worth it, but CL18 would be fine, and this is CL16 anyway. Dual rank per channel is the key thing, but we can brute force that & skip having to research DIMM specifics by just getting 4. Also, white DIMMs for your white, glass-sided case.
    Removing WiFi from the mobo itself enables cheaper ways to get the USB 19 and 20 pin headers your case requires.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£280.00)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler (£82.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£154.40 @ Alza)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£69.59 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£69.59 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£119.42 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card (£742.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Lian Li O11D XL-W ATX Full Tower Case (£195.38 @ Newegg UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£109.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WBAX200 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter (£31.57 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £1855.59
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-28 11:20 GMT+0000

For alternative WiFi 6/ax cards, see
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/...archer-tx3000e
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/...r-archer-tx50e
    Or much cheaper 5/ac ones & USB3 adapters.

Also, check the price of 2TB of good TLC SSD with NVMe cache, £156 atm.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; November 28 2020 at 11:28:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

with a listed 2 month lead time, ain't got no time for that, they've got 3080's and Ryzen 5's coming in next week apparently.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

You on about the cooler? UK NH-D15S chromax.black stock is ready to ship from Amazon, could have it here in 48hours. YMMV.

Ok, Alventi's build list as proposed:

*snip*
    Thanks! It makes sense. I'll make the changes.

You on about the cooler? UK NH-D15S chromax.black stock is ready to ship from Amazon, could have it here in 48hours. YMMV.
    im not ordering something from the UK a month before brexit.

im not building myself either, taking advantage of the ability to pick the parts i want and have a relatively local shop build for me, so if it breaks i can give them the box and say "your problem lads", the downside is everything outside their parts lists is my own problem.
    Viking, n.:

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft

im not building myself either, taking advantage of the ability to pick the parts i want and have a relatively local shop build for me, so if it breaks i can give them the box and say "your problem lads", the downside is everything outside their parts lists is my own problem.
    https://www.dustinhome.dk/product/50...ent=402213feed
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

If you're not gonna go fancy expensive and fast with your SSD go for whatever budget option works best for you.

Middle of the road is entirely pointless and anyone reeing at you about it is just wanking at pointless spending.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

https://www.dustinhome.dk/product/50...ent=402213feed
    already forked over the money, but thanks for the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    If you're not gonna go fancy expensive and fast with your SSD go for whatever budget option works best for you.

Middle of the road is entirely pointless and anyone reeing at you about it is just wanking at pointless spending.
    my reasoning is this : the practical performance gap between the drives per my use-case is minimal, this box is going to play games, do some light coding and office work. the performance drop-off kicks in on very large transfers (hundreds of GB tier) and full drives. the former, again is not terribly relevant, the latter is counteracted by literately having twice the capacity available over the 970 in the same price bracket that also gets a near-full performance drop-off. Intel, historically, massively low-ball their SSD lifetime estimates, often a order of magnitude, it's not going to croak before i hit the transfer limit and im not going to pass trough 400 tb trough it in it's lifetime.
    Viking, n.:

If anyone got a SFF NZXT H1, it's had a recall over an electrical fire hazard, but NZXT are being extra shit about not chasing up customers?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comme...fety_concerns/

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Intel, historically, massively low-ball their SSD lifetime estimates
    My ancient Intel X25-M 160GB drives are still at 93% and 94% health. Yes they're MLC so they should last a very long time, but none of my SSD's have ever gone lower than that, including the TLC and QLC drives I have, although those are obviously newer.

I've had a 1 TB Intel 660p as my C: drive for a while now. Experiences are generally very good, but from time to time it does bog down a little bit, and not only when I've just been copying hundreds of GB either. It is noticeably faster than a 500 GB SATA 850 EVO I also have in my desktop. For running games you generally won't really notice the difference between SATA and NVMe anyway.

If the 660p is quite a bit cheaper than alternatives then definitely go for it. However, these days there are tons of NVMe TLC drives from cheaper brands that are much much faster and about the same price. Forget about the 970, look at brands like WD, Transcend, Corsair, Crucial, XPG. It might take a bit more effort to find the right drive (read reviews!) but you can get some really good deals there.

If I were to buy a new SSD right now I'd probably step into the maze of XPG models where you can get silly performance for a silly price, but you need to order exactly the right model and hope they haven't changed the controller chip since it was reviewed.