hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 94 of 102 FirstFirst ... 448491929394959697 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2039

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Cheers fine people. Will look into Noctua and Scythe products.
    Replaced two Scythe Slipstream 800RPM which died after 11 years with a couple of Noctua NF-P12 1300RPM PWM.

The real kicker is that there are 4 more Scythe Slipstream 800RPM in my computer that still work flawlessly after 11 years and they're still going strong.
    Got 3x NF-P12 900 and a NF-P14s 900. Just put them all in, gpu and cpu all run like 5-10c cooler idle, while being quieter and less rpm. Cheers people.

Waiting for some Scythe Kaze Flex 800 (for intake and exhaust) to come in stock somewhere at a reasonable price and will be all set.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Replaced two Scythe Slipstream 800RPM which died after 11 years with a couple of Noctua NF-P12 1300RPM PWM.

The real kicker is that there are 4 more Scythe Slipstream 800RPM in my computer that still work flawlessly after 11 years and they're still going strong.
    Got 3x NF-P12 900 and a NF-P14s 900. Just put them all in, gpu and cpu all run like 5-10c cooler idle, while being quieter and less rpm. Cheers people.

Waiting for some Scythe Kaze Flex 800 (for intake and exhaust) to come in stock somewhere at a reasonable price and will be all set.
    Another satisfied customer!

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

The NF-P fans seem to move absolutely ridiculously large amounts of air, I am going to eventually replace the other six Scythe Slipstream 800RPM case fans with NF-P12 1300.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Price cut on AMD Ryzen 3000 series, 25-50 usd. Except for 3950x.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Observation: AMD are clearly not capacity-constrained by the amount of 7nm wafer starts TSMC have allotted them if they're cutting list prices that much

Possibilities:
    (i) AMD are selling fewer Ryzen 3000s than they expected: This feels rather unlikely, unless there was some large-scale OEM deal that fell through and orders were cut.
    (ii) TSMC have increased fab capacity and/or throughput more than expected: Possible, although it has been kept rather quiet.
    (iii) One of more of TSMC's other customers have reduced their 7nm orders and freed up 7nm space: The simplest explanation, although again nothing much to support this in the public domain

Speculation: Nvida have just confirmed that the Ampere GPUs will start on Samsung 10nm. Nvidia were going to use TSMC 7nm but have either decided they didn't need to for at least the first iteration, or they just didn't want to pay TSMC's prices. TSMC have resold that capacity to AMD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Observation: AMD are clearly not capacity-constrained by the amount of 7nm wafer starts TSMC have allotted them if they're cutting list prices that much

Possibilities:
    (i) AMD are selling fewer Ryzen 3000s than they expected: This feels rather unlikely, unless there was some large-scale OEM deal that fell through and orders were cut.
    (ii) TSMC have increased fab capacity and/or throughput more than expected: Possible, although it has been kept rather quiet.
    (iii) One of more of TSMC's other customers have reduced their 7nm orders and freed up 7nm space: The simplest explanation, although again nothing much to support this in the public domain

Speculation: Nvida have just confirmed that the Ampere GPUs will start on Samsung 10nm. Nvidia were going to use TSMC 7nm but have either decided they didn't need to for at least the first iteration, or they just didn't want to pay TSMC's prices. TSMC have resold that capacity to AMD.
    I work in the semi industry. iii) is most likely.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

There's plenty of other possibilities but I wouldn't discount your 1:st point that AMD expects demand for desktop cpu's to decrease thanks to Human Malware crisis.

Or the ratio between server grade chiplets and desktop ones aren't good enough and they need to get rid of more "bad" chiplets than expected. Who knows really but my money would be on them needing to clear out stock for the upcoming Zen 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    There's plenty of other possibilities but I wouldn't discount your 1:st point that AMD expects demand for desktop cpu's to decrease thanks to Human Malware crisis.

Or the ratio between server grade chiplets and desktop ones aren't good enough and they need to get rid of more "bad" chiplets than expected. Who knows really but my money would be on them needing to clear out stock for the upcoming Zen 3.
    The problem with that "too many low-bin chiplets" hypothesis is that TSMC's yields have been amazing, 3950s have also been price-cut, and I haven't seen anyone complaining that they're unable to get good overclocking 3600s and 3700s. To the contrary.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect that AMD found themselves with an unforecasted surplus. Could be plague, could be eg: Dell backing out of an AMD desktp deal in order to lap up more of that sweet, sweet Intel marketing cash, could be both.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

AMD usually cuts prices once or twice a year.

AMD doesn't usually have the best CPUs

I haven't actually read anything about overclockability of 3600's from launch until now wether it's the same or better. As far as yields go that only refers to functioning chips, not the quality of them. For example the TR 3950 cores use a much much lower per core voltage than my 3600x at the same frequency. I (we?) simply don't know and discounting one possibility when I lack facts to support the other isn't rational.

I said I was speculating

PS 3950 isn't a Threadripper

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Another satisfied customer!

Cheers again people. All seven new fans wired up now and can just about hear fans running. Just. If I try to listen for them.

Finally gave in and ordered a Noctua

The stock cooler on this 2700 has been.... OK, I suppose but it's getting louder or I'm getting less tolerant, so the walletmoths have been released.

Just replacing the fan or a new heatsink?

The whole thing. Dh15-AM4 something something.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    The whole thing. Dh15-AM4 something something.
    Had one on my old I5-4690k. Fantastic cooler.

Was on the cusp of upgrading my old rig for a while. Considering getting at least some parts ordered now before what I'm assuming will be increases in prices later?

Almost 100% will be a Ryzen 5 3600. I've always gotten 'K' or unlocked versions, but I've found I just don't bother overclocking.

Debating 16GB vs 32GB of memory. Likely just going DDR 3200 with CAS 16. Anything else is hella-expensive and I really don't do much except play Path of Exile and some other stuff. No photo edited/streaming/etc.

Currently i5 4590, 16GB, GTX 970, old Gigabyte H97 board.

I've got a Fractal Define R4 I'll reuse, and some nice Noctua fans to carry over.

I'm fine waiting for the 'next gen' nVidia/AMD GPUs though.

Kinda rambling...motherboard is sorta the main roadblock. It's really hard parsing all the different options now. Probably not an X570, so I've heard MSI Tomahawk B450s are decent?

Get 32gb mem.
    It's a bitch upgrading later one, if they aren't from the same kit.
    Can experience some issues.

The rest is sound. But spend some money on a 1tb m2 drive for OS and games.
    Won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Idara View Post
    Was on the cusp of upgrading my old rig for a while. Considering getting at least some parts ordered now before what I'm assuming will be increases in prices later?

Almost 100% will be a Ryzen 5 3600. I've always gotten 'K' or unlocked versions, but I've found I just don't bother overclocking.

Debating 16GB vs 32GB of memory. Likely just going DDR 3200 with CAS 16. Anything else is hella-expensive and I really don't do much except play Path of Exile and some other stuff. No photo edited/streaming/etc.

Currently i5 4590, 16GB, GTX 970, old Gigabyte H97 board.

I've got a Fractal Define R4 I'll reuse, and some nice Noctua fans to carry over.

I'm fine waiting for the 'next gen' nVidia/AMD GPUs though.

Kinda rambling...motherboard is sorta the main roadblock. It's really hard parsing all the different options now. Probably not an X570, so I've heard MSI Tomahawk B450s are decent?
    The MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX is decent. The non-MAX boards are trash due to the gimped BIOS chip. You can pick one up for $115. You could also spend a little more and get a MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX for $144. There are several X470 options under $175.

Personally, I would rather have 16GB of 3200 CAS14 than 32GB of CAS16. But CAS16 is a really good value these days ($70 for a CAS16 16GB kit vs $125 for CAS14, and $138 for 32GB of CAS16), so the choice is yours.

R5 3600 seems to handle anything I throw at it, sounds like a good choice until Zen 2+ comes out.