hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 170 of 172 FirstFirst ... 70120160167168169170171172 LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,400 of 3436

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

I have similar experiences. All ram slots filled are bane of cheap motherboards. If you couple that with having anything else but gfx card in your pci slots, you're just asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    5900x generally runs higher in frequency than 5950x because it has less cores and dissipates much less heat, it's easier to work with, etc. If I didn't have my own stuff needing as many cores as possible then I would have went for the 5900x. There's always a balance to strike somewhere.
    This just isn't true. Take a look at this review of the 12900K, the 5950X basically consumes the same power as the 5900X unless you run a heavy stress test and then it consumes slightly more. The 5950X uses aggressively binned dies that run at a lower voltage than those in the 5900X and hence they have the same TDP and power levels. You'll get essentially the same gaming performance at lower temperatures and better multithreaded performance.
    Also motherboard model/layout most definitely matters when trying to run for a specific case (e.g. four high density modules in four slots).
    Posting an article about the 400 series chipsets that came out when Ryzen was notoriously picky about RAM is a little unfortunate. Things have improved quite a bit and yes, there are still issues and maybe going higher end will help with RAM compatibility, but you're still talking about a good B550 rather than needing an X570. You could easily slip 32GB of RAM into 2 of the RAM slots and that will be just fine for the vast, vast majority of gamers. Again, if you need more, you're talking very niche.
    And yes, of course sample sizes of one are problematic. Today found out another friend has issues with the same RAM/MB configuration that my friend has Of course samples of two are also problematic. But if you want a high end CPU you should not skimp on the motherboard if you want to milk it for all the performance it can offer - if you plan running stock, you do you, though.
    Depending on your use case, you're talking *maybe* 5-10% performance increase. There's really little point going high end on the motherboard until/unless you've maxed out everything else.
    This is just silly. High end motherboards aren't only for LN2 territory.
    But you didn't just list a high end motherboard, you listed a really expensive close to top end motherboard. It's got massively overkill VRMs that are designed for really extreme overclocks.
    My ASUS Rampage IV Extreme served me well since 2013 and will continue to do so in that system. All the high end motherboards I have ever owned have had amazing lifespans, measured in decades. By comparison I've also owned cheap motherboards that needed recapping every 4 years or so and similar stuff. Yes, nowadays the situation is much better and you can get a cracking motherboard for a really really good price.
    Meh, I owned a Z series from that era (maybe 77, may have been 75) that was upper mid level and it's still going fine for the friend I gave it to. Never had to do anything to it, it still works fine.
    But again, if you want to milk your system for all it can offer 24/7 - you need something bit more expensive than what you can get at the corner store. If that's not your use case, fair enough and no issues, again, you do you
    But most people don't, it's a rather niche case, so saying you should expect to pay as much for a motherboard as you spend on your CPU is just wrong unless you have a very niche use case.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    I think we should agree on cheap mobo = bad, extremely expensive mobo = overkill for most situation, mid-end to upper-mid-end is where the sweet spot is.

Also B550 vs X570 is also a bit of a special case. B550 came out later and there are lots of boards with them that have a VRM that is at least as good as on the X570 boards. B550 boards aren't as budget as their chipset name might suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    I think we should agree on cheap mobo = bad, extremely expensive mobo = overkill for most situation, mid-end to upper-mid-end is where the sweet spot is.

Also B550 vs X570 is also a bit of a special case. B550 came out later and there are lots of boards with them that have a VRM that is at least as good as on the X570 boards. B550 boards aren't as budget as their chipset name might suggest.
    As with everything. And definitely don't consider B550 budget, it's mid range. MSI Tomahawk, Gigabyte Aorus Pro are really nice motherboards. I'm runing Aorus Pro now and couldn't be happier with it. Gigabyte software sucks ass though, just don't install it.
    Last edited by rufuske; January 14 2022 at 12:38:17 PM.

I would also add that I've seen a lot fewer people complaining about issues with B550 boards than I have X570s. As said above, if you're OK with a pair of 16GB DIMMS, and nearly everyone will be, and you don't need more than 2 NVME and 6 SATA, then you should go for a B550. You can pay plenty of money for a B550 if you feel you need beefy VRMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

I would also add that I've seen a lot fewer people complaining about issues with B550 boards than I have X570s. As said above, if you're OK with a pair of 16GB DIMMS, and nearly everyone will be, and you don't need more than 2 NVME and 6 SATA, then you should go for a B550. You can pay plenty of money for a B550 if you feel you need beefy VRMs.
    I'm runing 32GB, 4x8GB TridentZ. Do you think this chipset has 16GB limit?

That is quite true and I personally agree. I also would not skimp on the motherboard if I'm going to get a top end CPU. And when you're spending a bunch (400-600 on CPU, 300+ on RAM), adding in 100$ to the motherboard budget isn't so outlandish. Also it depends a lot on the mid-tier MB, I found a lot of B550 good offers around and they offer top tier CPU VRMs for less of the price. Wi-fi and USB 3.2 gen 2 headers though are still at a premium (and mostly useless in a desktop tbh).

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

I'm runing 32GB, 4x8GB TridentZ. Do you think this chipset has 16GB limit?
    I just checked. B550 can go all the way to 128 GB with 32GB DIMMS.

I surrendered my "never pre-order" principles and pre-ordered a 512GB Steam Deck. I have made an executive decision that this will fulfill my hastily made commitment to get #2 nephew (currently aged 10) his first PC for his birthday in October. Add a USB-C Dock, a monitor, a keyboard & mouse, and it is a perfectly decent PC for an 11 year old.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

I spoil my daughter rotten, dont let the haters get to you. Giving them stuff doesnt create a "spoilt brat" rewarding abd bnehaviour with stuff creates those. So dont ever feel guilty.

Papa Malcanis adopt me pls.

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    I spoil my daughter rotten, dont let the haters get to you. Giving them stuff doesnt create a "spoilt brat" rewarding abd bnehaviour with stuff creates those. So dont ever feel guilty.
    Who said anything about feeling guilty? I'm just glad there's such an economical solution because christ things are getting fucking expensive in techland, and I know he'll love the handheld console aspect of it while it'll be enough PC to last him a few years.

I was thinking about getting him some kind of miniPC like a PN50, but the Deck's chip + RAM combo absolutely wrecks the current APUs, and who knows when Rembrandt APUs will be available in miniPC format (or how much they'll cost). So it makes sense on several levels; it's console enough that it'll appeal to the boy, real PC enough that it'll be OK with his parents, and even with a USB-C dock, a keyboard and mouse added on, it's a very decent price.

I was thinking it might go well with something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SSK-Multipo.../dp/B08Q36HB3G so it can connect to peripherals and a monitor. It even has an SD card slot for baby's first NAS!

I do hope those USB-C ports are made more solidly than on mobile phones, otherwise the thing's likely to require fiddling to start charging in two years and fail to do so completely in the next two.

(But also a that is a solid solution there, hopefully the production stays on target and you get yours before Oct)
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    I do hope those USB-C ports are made more solidly than on mobile phones, otherwise the thing's likely to require fiddling to start charging in two years and fail to do so completely in the next two.

(But also a that is a solid solution there, hopefully the production stays on target and you get yours before Oct)
    Maybe the USB-C is on a cheap or daughterboard for easy replacement? Lots of other parts are.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

It's 12, it can be replaced easily enough.

I'm having a hard time suppressing the irrational urge to upgrade. I'm currently running a Ryzen 5 3600 on an X370 motherboard, and have a cupboard full of older spare parts that could accrete to resemble a fully functional PC, if I'd just replace the motherboard and CPU in my current desktop.

I'm mostly just using it to game, code and do some Lightroom work; so I have to admit the 15-25% single-core performance uplift of the i5 12400f does look a wee bit tempting. On the AMD side of things, my options are switching to a 5xxx platform and getting a 450/550 series board, or switching to a beefier 3xxx Ryzen, but that a) won't do near anything for me in games/LR, and b) spare parts will remain untouched and unloved for now.

I'm not even that unhappy with the current level of performance! Someone tell me I'm an idiot for considering this.

Asrock added support for Ryzen 5000 series cpu on their x370 boards recently. Other brands will probably follow suit so that would be a good slot in upgrade.

Swapping the mobo for a 12400 or a Ryzen 5000? Naah, not worth it.

I agree, if it was an upgrade to let's say a Sandy/Ivy bridge then yes, but over the past few years upgrades are lateral mostly if there's not a high end GPU involved in the math.

Personally after my Titan X blew up I scrubbed together a new system and it felt SO much faster. I don't think the performance upgrade from a 3600 would be felt IRL unless you drop some serious money on the whole thing (e.g. new motherboard and maybe a PCIe gen 4 SSD).

Which reminds me that the PCIe gen 4 speed demon NVMEs are a bit overrated, there's not a lot to do with them unless you have more than one because nothing else can write as fast as these read nor can anything feed them as quickly as they write. For gaming/editing sure they're great if you're willing to make them scratch disks and load/work off them, but most of the time they'll sit unused.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Asrock added support for Ryzen 5000 series cpu on their x370 boards recently. Other brands will probably follow suit so that would be a good slot in upgrade.

Swapping the mobo for a 12400 or a Ryzen 5000? Naah, not worth it.
    Oh neat, didn't know about that. I'm actually running an Asrock board, but my ITX model isn't on the list (yet?)

Yeah, I'll hold off (due to the advice given, not to wait for new BIOS release)
    Last edited by halka; February 13 2022 at 04:24:44 PM.

I'm having a hard time suppressing the irrational urge to upgrade. I'm currently running a Ryzen 5 3600 on an X370 motherboard, and have a cupboard full of older spare parts that could accrete to resemble a fully functional PC, if I'd just replace the motherboard and CPU in my current desktop.

I'm mostly just using it to game, code and do some Lightroom work; so I have to admit the 15-25% single-core performance uplift of the i5 12400f does look a wee bit tempting. On the AMD side of things, my options are switching to a 5xxx platform and getting a 450/550 series board, or switching to a beefier 3xxx Ryzen, but that a) won't do near anything for me in games/LR, and b) spare parts will remain untouched and unloved for now.

I'm not even that unhappy with the current level of performance! Someone tell me I'm an idiot for considering this.
    Get one of those sweet 5800X 3D or whatever they're calling them when they come out. If your board can run a Zen3, then it'll be fine with that, and it'll be a pretty decent low stress uplift from a 3600