hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 101 of 107 FirstFirst ... 51919899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2136

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Trying to portray this as a betrayal is ridiculous as disappointing as it may be.
    Motherboard manufacturers have been promoting B450/X470 motherboards as being compatible with all current and future AM4 processors. They would not do that unless AMD had informed them this would be the case. People have bought motherboards on the basis that they can be upgraded to future AM4 processors. But they can't.

Betrayal? That's moral judgement, which I'm not making. Legally, AMD has done nothing wrong - weaseltalk and all that. It's the motherboard vendors who are going to get stuck with class action suits over fraudulent advertising.

You don't 'try' to make a CPU compatible with a chipset. That is or is not added as a design requirement right at the start of development. AMD have known if ZEN3 is capable of working with the 4xx chipset for a good long time. So either they were entirely happy for boards to be sold under what they knew were false upgrade claims or, more likely, ZEN3 works fine on 4xx boards and this is an artificial limitation imposed very recently for reasons they appear to be so uncomfortable making public that they had to lie about it. Either scenario strongly suggests anything AMD says in future should be taken with a big spoon of salt.

(I don't actually have a dog in this fight, personally. My B450 board is a pre-MAX model that has the 16MB BIOS chip, I always thought the chance of being able to run ZEN3 was marginal considering the effort MSI had to go to just to squeeze a working ZEN2 BIOS in there)

Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    (I don't actually have a dog in this fight, personally. My B450 board is a pre-MAX model that has the 16MB BIOS chip, I always thought the chance of being able to run ZEN3 was marginal considering the effort MSI had to go to just to squeeze a working ZEN2 BIOS in there)
    Interesting fact: quite a few x570 boards have 16MB BIOS chips. It's a flat out lie that BIOS size is the driving issue here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

For all you Noctua Brown haters out there; Behold the sheiße Meshify! (And despair?)

https://www.sweclockers.com/forum/tr...-i-noctua-tema
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; May 12 2020 at 06:57:58 AM.

Glorious.

I've noticed he installed the CPU cooler in a sort-of-pull config, and remembered I haven't posted an update on the beQuiet missing screw thing. I've contacted them via a website form and I've received a replacement packet of 4 backplate screws a couple of weeks after. After mounting the tower I've came to realization that the fan probably wouldn't fit on the front, since I have and ITX board and would have to clip it higher on the tower; so I've likewise installed it on the back. Works fine.

The tower has a pair of rubber bumpers on the front which I assume is to help reduce fan vibrations, but I CBA to turn the tower around as it was quite the pain clipping the fan in the first time around. And hey, the branding text would end up upside-down.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    For all you Noctua Brown haters out there; Behold the sheiße Meshify! (And despair?)

Hans...get ze Flammenwerfer.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Idk I like it?

Idk I like it?
    At least on this we can agree, it is not bad at all. However it would look good in any colour simply because it's a legit good build effort
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by AMD
    To reduce the potential for confusion, our intent is to offer BIOS download only to verified customers of 400 Series motherboards who have purchased a new desktop processor with “Zen 3” inside. This will help us ensure that customers have a bootable processor on-hand after the BIOS flash, minimizing the risk a user could get caught in a no-boot situation.
    That's a good way of making sure people don't brick motherboards with old cpu's in them by mistake because someone told them to "upgrade the bios".

I sort of wish I had an MSI board right now as I suspect they'll be chomping at the bit to get their bios updates out to their customers. Asus not so much.

Anyway, nice to know I can slot in a Zen 3 one or two years from now. (By the good graces of Asus ofc)

Quote Originally Posted by AMD
    To reduce the potential for confusion, our intent is to offer BIOS download only to verified customers of 400 Series motherboards who have purchased a new desktop processor with “Zen 3” inside. This will help us ensure that customers have a bootable processor on-hand after the BIOS flash, minimizing the risk a user could get caught in a no-boot situation.
    That's a good way of making sure people don't brick motherboards with old cpu's in them by mistake because someone told them to "upgrade the bios".

I sort of wish I had an MSI board right now as I suspect they'll be chomping at the bit to get their bios updates out to their customers. Asus not so much.

Anyway, nice to know I can slot in a Zen 3 one or two years from now. (By the good graces of Asus ofc)
    Yep this has significantly improved my mood today. I will be getting the best Zen3 this X470 can reasonably support, a new video card in the winter, and then the plan is to let things be for half a decade.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Giant sigh of relief for my recently purchased B450 from MSI as well, though I could always move up from my 3600X to a higher spec in the same line if I really wanted an upgrade in a couple years and zen3 was unsupported, it's good to know there's at least one more generation in my future.

Working on the OC now, binned at 3.8, stable at 4.2 so far, though I don't like the thermals when I run a prime95 stressor. I probably need to re-paste the contact pad, the aio keeps the idle temps right at 40, 50 if I'm actually using it, but under max load it'll run up to 100 if I let it
    This is worse than I thought, there's no butter in my coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Apparently MSI were pushing AMD the hardest to change their initial diktat. Asus were all in favour of it. Something to bear in mind when choosing motherboards for long term upgradable builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Apparently MSI were pushing AMD the hardest to change their initial diktat. Asus were all in favour of it. Something to bear in mind when choosing motherboards for long term upgradable builds.
    Msi makes some good shit so it's not hard tbh.

Although this is sort of amusing in respect to the amount of bios issues they've had in their older boards on new ryzen and the prevalence of the "not enough space on bios chip" stuff related to msi specifically.

Anyway, reading between the lines it's going to be next year before these weird one-way BIOS updates are actually released. And I surely am not going to be in the first wave, because you know there is going to be some damb gotcha in the initial release

Anyway, reading between the lines it's going to be next year before these weird one-way BIOS updates are actually released. And I surely am not going to be in the first wave, because you know there is going to be some damb gotcha in the initial release
    Always is some fuckery.

They dont spell it out properly but im pretty sure they medan "One way" as in THE old cpu wont work not that you canr reverse THE flash with a new cpu.

They dont spell it out properly but im pretty sure they medan "One way" as in THE old cpu wont work not that you canr reverse THE flash with a new cpu.
    They spell it out pretty clearly, and the Gamers Nexus dude expands on it in more detail. The Zen3 BIOS involves some change in the low level formatting of the BIOS that's incompatible with older BIOS versions or some shit. So once your 400-series BIOS is Zen3'd then it can't be Zen2'd again.

Kinda wondering how - or if - that will work with Gigabyte's Dual BIOS arrangement.

Anyway AFAIK only MSI have definitely committed to using the Zen3 BIOS, so we'll see. There's 4-6 months before it even becomes relevant (Zen3 release is September or "Thanksgiving" depending on which rumours you prefer), and then I'd guess 2-4 months for the beta Zen3 BIOSs to get released by individual OEMs. Brace for another kerfuffle when some of them inevitably don't want to.

Meanwhile AMD have cut prices on the 3900X, and fuck me that's a lot of CPU for £410

Meanwhile AMD have cut prices on the 3900X, and fuck me that's a lot of CPU for £410
    I just bought a AMD cpu for the first time in my life.
    That needed a mainboard.
    That mainboard has a nice PCIe 4.0 m.2 slot.
    So that needed a nice gen4 nvme ssd.
    Of course that makes no sense with my old 16GB ram, so .
    That needed 32GB of ram.
    Can't put my old GTX 970 in such a system.
    So that needed a new graphics card.
    Not enough oomph in my old power supply...
    ... yes.

That got a lot more expensive than I originally intended, but on the plus side, I now have for the first time in my life something that is not in the bottom 30% of the performance pile.

Ryzen 3900X - Aorus Ultra X570 - 32GB ram - Aorus 2 TB gen4 nvme ssd - RTX 2070 Super - 850watt aorus powersupply

I think that rig could fairly be described as "fucking sweet, mate"

PSU is a bit overkill though, you're not running an Intel spaceheater now

EDIT: I wont lie I am tempted by that 3900X. Be strong, Malc, be strong. Eyes on the prize.
    Last edited by Malcanis; May 22 2020 at 10:50:54 AM.