Guns make the news, science doesn't.

So this is what I ended up with:

CPU: Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix z390-F Gaming
    Ram: 32gb HyperX Fury DDR 3200 Hz (4x8)
    Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Pro
    Disc: Samsung 970 1TB M.2 SSD
    GPU: Keeping my 1080 Ti FE
    Case: Fractal Deisn Define R6 (going to upgrade the case fans to Noctua)
    Screen: Keeping my 34" Acer Predator

PC will double as gaming rig and video/photo editor (mainly picked the CPU for it's video/photo properties).

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Amantus, if you're going to spend that much, you should really look at getting CL14 RAM as opposed to CL16. Ryzen will benefit from it.

As for me, I have just acquired a Corsair MM800 RGB mousepad and Elgato Stream Deck Mini without really intending to. I had my eye on them, but when I saw the prices ($40 and $80 respectively), I figured why not.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Amantus, if you're going to spend that much, you should really look at getting CL14 RAM as opposed to CL16. Ryzen will benefit from it.
    Yeah this. It's basically the only part of the build that stood out to me, the rest seems solid.

From what I've heard that motherboard is an excellent choice and people are getting really solid overclocks on it, in some cases even higher than the more expensive Asus C7H, even though it offers less overclocking options.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Yeah this. It's basically the only part of the build that stood out to me, the rest seems solid.

From what I've heard that motherboard is an excellent choice and people are getting really solid overclocks on it, in some cases even higher than the more expensive Asus C7H, even though it offers less overclocking options.
    Yeah, you're right. The CL14 3200Mhz Trident Z is waaaaay expensive (£500 vs £285) than the CL16 3200Mhz which I bought. I figured it would be better to go with the 3200Mhz rated RAM and try and tighten up the timings myself. I'm still able to return it if need be. The RAM is the bit I'm least satisfied with too, to be honest, but paying £500 for RAM makes me cringe. You think it's worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Thats a bit of a beast Amantus. Not just for gaming?
    Gaming, multiboxing loads of EVE clients, running other games while multiboxing loads of EVE clients, video transcoding while trying to game and multibox loads of EVE clients. Normal stuff.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Amantus, I'm curious what screen you're using now
    Screens are next on my "to upgrade" list because they're knackered. Running 2x ~6 year old Dell IPS (1080p) and a TV mounted above (also 1080p). Want to upgrade to decent refresh rate IPS 1440p monitors, and trying to identify a (native) high refresh rate TV, which is harder than I thought. Hoping to upgrade the screens in the coming months
    Last edited by Amantus; November 26 2018 at 01:26:27 PM.
    MAX damage posting

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    Yeah, you're right. The CL14 3200Mhz Trident Z is waaaaay expensive (£500 vs £285) than the CL16 3200Mhz which I bought. I figured it would be better to go with the 3200Mhz rated RAM and try and tighten up the timings myself. I'm still able to return it if need be. The RAM is the bit I'm least satisfied with too, to be honest, but paying £500 for RAM makes me cringe. You think it's worth it?
    That much? Oof. Then no, it'll only be a bit faster, not almost twice as fast.

Looking at it better I see you're going for 4x8GB. That's going to have troubles hitting 3200 anyway, four sticks are much harder to drive than two sticks. You might actually consider downgrading to 2x8GB if you don't really need the GBs, much cheaper and easier to overclock.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Amantus, I'm curious what screen you're using now
    Screens are next on my "to upgrade" list because they're knackered. Running 2x ~6 year old Dell IPS (1080p) and a TV mounted above (also 1080p). Want to upgrade to decent refresh rate IPS 1440p monitors, and trying to identify a (native) high refresh rate TV, which is harder than I thought. Hoping to upgrade the screens in the coming months
    Yeah, high refresh rate TVs are super hard to come by at a decent price and even then it's a toss up. From what I've investigated, Sony Bravia has 100Hz native panels (too much research involved to sum it up now from all sources). TL;DR: they're rare and expensive-ish. Look for low input lag ones too.

As for monitors, ASUS PG279Q, Acer Predator XBsomething have nice high refresh rates 1440p IPS panels (I think it's actually the same LG panel iirc). They both have the strobing background thingie thing that improves ghosting but be aware they can only do it at a max refresh of 100-120Hz even though they're 144Hz rated. The screen also gets much darker when enabled and I'm not sure how good it is for the screen in the long run, info on this is quite scarce.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Holy mother of God! The 9900k is a beast. Went from about 30 minutes to encode a h265 4k-clip of about 3-4 minutes, to doing it in about 5 minutes. Also, extra bonus - actual editing is now doable since you can actually playback in 1/1 instead of using 1/8 or similar to avoid stuttering.

Also: that m.2 disk. Jesus. Was under my desk fixing some cables when I pressed the power on button. Before I was back in my chair, Windows had booted up. It's blazing fast.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Holy mother of God! The 9900k is a beast. Went from about 30 minutes to encode a h265 4k-clip of about 3-4 minutes, to doing it in about 5 minutes. Also, extra bonus - actual editing is now doable since you can actually playback in 1/1 instead of using 1/8 or similar to avoid stuttering.

Also: that m.2 disk. Jesus. Was under my desk fixing some cables when I pressed the power on button. Before I was back in my chair, Windows had booted up. It's blazing fast.
    CPU upgrades feel great dont they :>

Until I started fiddling with rendering, I was all “totally not bottlenecked by my cpu” but looking at my FPS increase, I certainly was in games as well as video work.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Until I started fiddling with rendering, I was all “totally not bottlenecked by my cpu” but looking at my FPS increase, I certainly was in games as well as video work.
    Tbh lots of nonsense is spoken about games and cpu use by people overly generalizing things all the time.

I have the 2x16GB corsair vengeance, according to Ryzen Dram calculator you can safely hit 3200mhz with CL14. Gonna try in a few days.

edit:

OP success, stable after 1 cycle of memtest, gonna run a longer test tonight. Not going to try increasing the frequency for now, not a fan pushing more voltage.

Noice. Up to about 1.4 V is super safe, I think it only gets iffy beyond 1.5 V or so.

Also test with many different programs if you want to be sure of stability, each of them is only good at catching some failure modes. Test with stuff like Prime95 too so that you test CPU + RAM load at the same time.

Noice. Up to about 1.4 V is super safe, I think it only gets iffy beyond 1.5 V or so.

Also test with many different programs if you want to be sure of stability, each of them is only good at catching some failure modes. Test with stuff like Prime95 too so that you test CPU + RAM load at the same time.
    1.4 is generally accepted as a safe max from what ive seen, anything beyond is iffy and might lower the lifespan apparently

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Yeah, you're right. The CL14 3200Mhz Trident Z is waaaaay expensive (£500 vs £285) than the CL16 3200Mhz which I bought.
    ???

Where are you buying your memory from? I found an RGB version of that memory for 405 quid.

edit: looking at UK prices, 285 for CL16 looks like a good deal.
    Last edited by Nordstern; December 2 2018 at 06:00:58 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Yeah, you're right. The CL14 3200Mhz Trident Z is waaaaay expensive (£500 vs £285) than the CL16 3200Mhz which I bought.
    ???

Where are you buying your memory from? I found an RGB version of that memory for 405 quid.

edit: looking at UK prices, 285 for CL16 looks like a good deal.
    that's a pretty good price - that wasn't available when i bought mine. that said, i've saved £120 for a relatively minor compromise on speed which i'm pretty happy with. i'll overclock my ram and see what happens. that said, i do prefer the trident Z. i have a little while to weigh my options and see if there's a better deal i can get or whether i want to spend the ~40% extra £

the exact kit i bought for £285 on amazon is now £579 on amazon. so wew
    Last edited by Amantus; December 2 2018 at 09:53:56 PM.
    MAX damage posting

Took me a little while, but I finally did RMA my dead SSD as nothing I did was able to breathe any life back to it.

On this note a bit of praise to Samsung Europe's RMA (Hanaro in the Netherlands). Got my RMA number and parcel sticker within a day. Sent it in, and 4 days later I got a new Samsung 860 Evo back (dead one was a 850). Happy customer who will buy Samsung again ;P