hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 41484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1056

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Most games are single thread though, right? So having one blazing fast core is not a downside, per se.

I'd fucking hope not in 2019.
    At a basic level most have game mechanics that need to go in a stepwise fashion (often still per frame), but many of the state transitions (e.g. physics) can be calculated across cores (i.e. subdivide volumes, handling internally per core, then check the boundaries), and then there's concurrent possible stuff such as asset loading, GPU transfers, player and net IO that don't want to be tripping each other up on one interrupted thread/core, let alone potential to run smarter AI the more CPU is spare between frame draws. And afaik newer GPU APIs like Vulkan enable better multithreaded/concurrent drawing of different scene layers (especially picture-in-picture, and UI overlays).

Edit: here's a somewhat recent example of how different lighting maps, raytracing probes, etc can be scheduled to be done on the GPU using the same assets at the same time. Ofc this is just for the graphics side of things (and some is concurrent only within the graphics card), and many steps have to be sequential. I don't recall a good example of a game's physics/pathing/other AI breakdown with scalable algorithms off of the top of my head.

http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/...raphics-study/
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; June 10 2019 at 07:38:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Right, but my understanding is that most games’ CPU operations are nevertheless single-threaded.

I’d be thrilled to be proven wrong on this one, btw. Not being argumentative, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Right, but my understanding is that most games’ CPU operations are nevertheless single-threaded.

I’d be thrilled to be proven wrong on this one, btw. Not being argumentative, etc.
    They arent and havent been in ages

Funny enough, Hardware Unboxed released a video just a few days ago on newer games being more core heavy. In this case comparing Ryzen 1600 vs i5 7600k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97sDKvMHd8c

TL;dr. Newer titles favour the Ryzen to a larger degree than at launch 2 years ago. Ofc this could also be attributed to developers optimizing their games, Intel suffering from bug fixes and probably a whole host of other things.

To be fair, intel also now being vastly multicore means you ideally really want to use the shit.

Well that’s good to hear. No idea where I picked up the notion, then.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Most of the things Duck posted in the past few pages were factually wrong and showed a deep misunderstanding of how certain things work, even after he was called out on not knowing what IPC is. Him having an opinion was not the problem, spouting unfunded bullshit was the problem.

Now back to the above video: a 16-core all-core 5.35 GHz overclock sounds pretty nice... what was that about sub-par silicon again?

AMD would be stupid to not milk Zen2 for everything they've got, this is their moment and Intel will definitely catch up to them in a year or 2. Just like we all remember the Bulldozer years AMD should be able to coast on the golden Zen years for a while when their lead on Intel slips.

16 core 5.35 all core boost is fucking insanity and cream worthy numbers tbh

is it really 7nm though? Or are intel and amd just measuring things differently?

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    is it really 7nm though? Or are intel and amd just measuring things differently?
    They're measuring things differently, there's no "real" or objective way to measure it. IIRC this 7nm is comparable to Intel's 10nm.

Also, forgot to say that earlier, but games (and more importantly game engines) these days tend to use about 4-6 cores AFAIK. So 16 core 32 thread CPU's are madness for gaming alone but don't buy anything without at least 6 cores 12 threads, you'll regret it later.

Is this a big core little cores kinda deal or are these 16 proper cores at 4.7ghz? At 105w?

Anyone got any info on the IPC difference between these cores and an intel one?

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Haven't had time to watch that particular video but I think that overclock was on liquid nitrogen?

Gonna be fun when the review embargo lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Is this a big core little cores kinda deal or are these 16 proper cores at 4.7ghz? At 105w?

Anyone got any info on the IPC difference between these cores and an intel one?

The cores are all the same but I very much doubt we're seeing an all core 4.7 ghz boost.

If you compare it to the 12 core version with the same tdp you'll notice the 16 core has a lower base clock. This makes perfect sense as that will help the 16 core cpu remain within a 105w tpd while still boosting a select few cores higher than the 12 core part.

TDP is just a design spec after all but it needs to be adhered to in order to not mess with system integrators.

If it can do that on air cooling (or any laymen cooling, for that matter), it has the chance to be great. But this brings back memories of LN2 cooled 7GHz Bulldozer hype that couldn't do shit on air outside its base clock. Wait and see.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

No way we're seeing all core 5.3Ghz any time soon from either and or Intel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    If it can do that on air cooling (or any laymen cooling, for that matter), it has the chance to be great. But this brings back memories of LN2 cooled 7GHz Bulldozer hype that couldn't do shit on air outside its base clock. Wait and see.
    These are LN2 numbers, per that video.

And we’re a long long way from practical cryogenic cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Well that’s good to hear. No idea where I picked up the notion, then.
    Until surprisingly recently (5 years or so ago) most games were single or at most dual threaded.

They're now finally moving past that point, the fact that both consoles are multicore helps.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    the fact that both consoles are multicore helps.
    Apparently consoles will offer "up to" 120FPS and the PC crowd is memeifying the shit out of it

Spoiler:

Guns make the news, science doesn't.