hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 172425262728 LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Donor
    Jesus Christ, I hate fucking monitor manufacturers. Seriously fucking hate them.

In the process of packing up my third monitor return in two weeks. Every single goddamn monitor on the market seems to have been designed by fools and built by monkeys.

/rant

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    Jesus Christ, I hate fucking monitor manufacturers. Seriously fucking hate them.

In the process of packing up my third monitor return in two weeks. Every single goddamn monitor on the market seems to have been designed by fools and built by monkeys.

/rant
    That's because 95% of them are built in the same 3 factories, price/brand is half new features and half quality control at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post

/rant
    Can we get more details?
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Go with Dell, seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Go with Dell, seriously.
    Was actually looking into that but could only find G-sync and no Free-sync monitors with the specs I wanted. A buddy got an Ultrawide 1440 screen from Dell and it's pretty amazing tbh.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Go with Dell, seriously.
    Was actually looking into that but could only find G-sync and no Free-sync monitors with the specs I wanted. A buddy got an Ultrawide 1440 screen from Dell and it's pretty amazing tbh.
    https://www.box.co.uk/UM.HX0EE.A01-A...e_2021212.html

Go with Dell, seriously.
    Wouldn't universally agree with that. I swapped the same Dell display model three times for unacceptable backlight bleeding before cancelling for a refund - the lesson to be learnt from that is not to buy a revision zero of a Dell display.

I have had good experiences with Eizo, LG (!) and Samsung displays.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Go with Dell, seriously.
    Wouldn't universally agree with that. I swapped the same Dell display model three times for unacceptable backlight bleeding before cancelling for a refund - the lesson to be learnt from that is not to buy a revision zero of a Dell display.

I have had good experiences with Eizo, LG (!) and Samsung displays.
    Why the (!)?

They've been great for ages, it's just that nerds ignore them because they don't market to gamers.

Just to make nerds aware that they may consider LG displays despite bias.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Can we get more details?
    No.

j/k

I'm using my third BenQ BL3200PT right now. Bought the original one in 2014, worked well enough till it broke last year. BenQ sent a replacement that had a scratch on the screen and a faulty panel. The next replacement worked fine until two weeks before the warranty would run out, then it developed yet more panel problems. BenQ stalled for a month then basically said "fuck you, loser" and refused another replacement.

So then I got an Asus - can't remember the model off-hand - 27" 1440p 144MHz IPS thing. It arrived sporting a nasty green/pink tint on the screen, multiple dead pixels, and couldn't run reliably at 144MHz no matter what combination of gfx card and cable. And it had horribly smeary text. So I got that one replaced. The new unit had huge BLB, even more dead pixels, a yellow tint, and would give a line of corrupt pixels at the edge of the screen at 144Hz. And smeary text. Refund time.

I'm not a quitter. A couple of weeks ago I splashed 550 for a Samsung C27HG70. 27" 1440, 144Hz, curved VA panel, Quantum Dot, HDR and Freesync 2. Surely Samsung can make a high-end monitor that doesn't suck, right?

Ahh, no. They can't. Really, really can't.
      Spoiler:

(edit: it looks even worse in reality, the camera is being kind)

The replacement C27HG70 had the same catastrophic uniformity issue, but with a garnish of dead pixels. It's on its way back to Amazon for a refund right now.

Last throw of the dice was an AOC AG322QCX. This one got so, so close. Good uniformity, nice colours, little BLB, runs 144Hz no problems - but the firmware has a built-in sharpening filter that can't be disabled, so text looks like a cheap TV.

I've given up for the moment and gone back to the sickly BL3200PT. Fuck monitors.
    Last edited by Bombcrater; July 30 2018 at 03:50:56 PM.

You're going to be playing the panel lottery for any "high end" monitor, that's just how it works at the moment (and has done since 1440p 144hz or IPS monitors started becoming mainstream

My Acer Predator XB271HU came down perfect first time, but I know 2 people who bought the same one within a week either side of me and had terrible backlight bleed issues
    Last edited by XenosisMk4; July 30 2018 at 04:06:29 PM.

In Bombcrater's case, tenth time's obviously the charm. So just one more crappy one to go, get to it!

That's almost a reason to shop in a brick and mortar store.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Tapapapatalk
    Is it? You wouldn't know till you got it home in any case

Unless you think the display pieces are for sale

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    I did consider that, briefly. But even if they were prepared to sell a display model, the over-bright lighting in those shops makes it difficult to check for BLB or uniformity problems.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    was assuming joe recommending brick and mortar because it can make returns process/replacement a whole lot speedier?

assuming we're not talking about a PC world sort of store...

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    was assuming joe recommending brick and mortar because it can make returns process/replacement a whole lot speedier?

assuming we're not talking about a PC world sort of store...
    This.
    nevar forget

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    and plus, sometimes you can convince stores to sell you display models. i picked up my sony surround sound (about 10 years ago) from a local shop on display. didn't have any in stock in the colour i wanted, would be a few weeks until they did etc etc and one of the satelites was scratched. should have been 700ish, got it for 300 in the end after a bit of work.

Donor
    There used to be a shop quite near me that would happily sell display model and open box TVs and monitors really cheap. My best score was probably a perfect condition display unit 28" 1200p monitor for 100 when the list price was 399. They closed down last year, though.

I'm very wary of buying anything from a B&M shop that isn't binary in its functionality; it works or it doesn't, no room for bullshit. I've had nasty run-ins with stores being dicks about taking hardware back, and unfortunately under UK law they are not required to issue a refund and can quite legally stall for weeks or months while they 'test' or 'repair' it. I find it easier to buy from Amazon or OCUK or other places that will take a monitor back for a refund, no questions or hassle.

Lads, what's a cheap and cheerful motherboard for a ryzen 2600ish? Im fed up with the piece of shit i'm currently running and looking for options and that one seems to be the most promising one for me in my current situation.