hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2229303132

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

She's comparing them by pricepoint instead of name.

Ah ok, yea that's probably a pretty fair comparison then.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseman View Post
    Ah ok, yea that's probably a pretty fair comparison then.
    Not really as every previous generation worked differently, so it's just nvidia fucking with the consumer as usual.

The % increases are in line with every previous generation jump, while the prices are not.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    So having absorbed some reviews; The 2080 is on average 34% faster than a 1080.

Meh.
    You gotta remember though they subtlety changed the naming.. The 2080 more closely aligns with the 1080ti and the 2080ti more closely aligns with the Titan V.. The 2070 if it ever comes out should align with the 1080. This doesnt really matter much but the people that were happy with the 1080ti before should be looking at the 2080 this time and the 2080ti should be an upgrade from the Titan (with the new Titans being actual non-gaming cards now)
    What? No. There's barely any difference between the 1080ti and 2080. So if you have a 1080ti, the only upgrade available is the 2080ti
    And the upgrade from the 1080ti was the Titan V. Its really obvious if you look at the specs. The 2080 has 8GB of ram matching the 1080ti. The 2080ti has 11GB of RAM matching the Titan V, etc etc. Performance wise the 2080ti also runs about the same as the Titan V does/did with about the same gaming performance differences (ie, its slightly faster but not by enough to really matter). The only real difference is the drop from HMB2 to GDDR6 which looks like it has significantly reduced the price of the top of the line card.

It all comes down to realizing the Titan V was actually a gaming card all along. If you remove all the naming from the equations and just call them '10 series top card, 20 series top card' then they actually line up almost exactly with the only magic being they started calling them one step below where they really are (thus making them look like a step up from last generation). Nvidia spent so long telling people the Titan V wasn't a gaming card (because the market would have crucified them for releasing a $5000 gaming card, but apparently if you call it a professional card then thats OK) that in most peoples heads it wasn't.

Now im not saying nvidia haven't done a good job with this line of cards. I mean they made a card running on gddr6 run about the same as a previous card ran on hmb2, but these are hardly a massive step up.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    >The 2080 has 8GB of ram matching the 1080ti.

Let me just stop you there because the 1080ti has 11.

Kinda thinking about picking this up as a secondary hard drive at some point: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...k_ql_qh_dp_hza I want to make sure I have a decent amount of storage headroom such that I won't care about upgrading for years. I don't d/l shit much these days but games and OSs just keep getting bigger. Anway, I defo don't want a platter drive. It's SSD or nothing.

Obviously rather slower than the EVO 970, but equally obviously far cheaper. Anyone head anything dealbreaking about these particular SSDs?

NB: I suppose the underlying question is really "at what point do you expect the long term downward price trend to be countered by the effects of the tanking like a brick when brexit hits?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

The only deal breaker I see is that it's M.2.

I don't have an M.2 slot (ASUS Rampage IV Extreme). RIP.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Kinda thinking about picking this up as a secondary hard drive at some point: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...k_ql_qh_dp_hza I want to make sure I have a decent amount of storage headroom such that I won't care about upgrading for years. I don't d/l shit much these days but games and OSs just keep getting bigger. Anway, I defo don't want a platter drive. It's SSD or nothing.

Obviously rather slower than the EVO 970, but equally obviously far cheaper. Anyone head anything dealbreaking about these particular SSDs?

NB: I suppose the underlying question is really "at what point do you expect the long term downward price trend to be countered by the effects of the tanking like a brick when brexit hits?"
    In real world (not benchmarking) you won't see any difference between that and the EVO, I ordered one of the WD one last week since I'm out of SATA ports and my current SATA SSD is tiny

Bear in mind that on a lot of motherboards, installing an M.2 device will disable SATA-1 or SATA-5 ports, check your manual.

lastly, that drive isn't NVME, which are preferable as storage drives (not boot drives because Windows fucks up if you try to boot from an NVME drive)

tl:dr very good deal go for it

edit: suppliers must have an excess or something

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX5...=pd_gwm_simh_1

1TB Crucial M.2 SSD for 155

no idea which is "better" but I tend to trust Crucial more than WD
    Last edited by XenosisMk4; October 14 2018 at 01:51:03 PM.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    lastly, that drive isn't NVME, which are preferable as storage drives (not boot drives because Windows fucks up if you try to boot from an NVME drive)
    Posting from a Z370 board that boots from NVMe, what are you on about?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Since we're talking about storage, I have a question I want some input for.

So my PC has a 2tb drive with lots of music and films from before easily accessible streaming options here in Germany. Those files are not in use but I don't want to scrub them either. What should I do to put them away so to speak. NAS or external hard drive? I don't have an optical drive installed so putting them on Blu-rays isn't an option. I won't put up a home server, as I don't have any use for one.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

So my PC has a 2tb drive with lots of music and films from before easily accessible streaming options here in Germany. Those files are not in use but I don't want to scrub them either. What should I do to put them away so to speak. NAS or external hard drive? I don't have an optical drive installed so putting them on Blu-rays isn't an option. I won't put up a home server, as I don't have any use for one.
    That's just one of those things that I'd just leave it where it is unless the noise bothered me. If you actually use the files and don't want it in your case I'd get an external enclosure for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Its Xenosis, he probably means Windows XP fucks up because he refuses to upgrade past that. Win10 has zero issues with modern hardware as long as you dont do something like try and add one of those PCIe NVME cards in to your 15 year old motherboard and expect it to know how to boot from it (which isnt a windows issue).
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Its Xenosis, he probably means Windows XP fucks up because he refuses to upgrade past that. Win10 has zero issues with modern hardware as long as you dont do something like try and add one of those PCIe NVME cards in to your 15 year old motherboard and expect it to know how to boot from it (which isnt a windows issue).
    I'm starting to get flashbacks from when USB booting wasn't a thing but was starting to be a thing. Still have PTSD since then
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Stop being a sperge, it works, but it's not optimal as a boot drive due to how the subsystems are queued up

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post

That's just one of those things that I'd just leave it where it is unless the noise bothered me. If you actually use the files and don't want it in your case I'd get an external enclosure for it.
    The issue isn't the noise from the drive, as I use it for all programs/games that don't need SSD speeds. It's more a space issue, the disk is rather full.

But yeah, I might as well just grab another HDD and drop it into the pc.

Although having some files available for my living room pc or the laptop would be nice.

I shall ponder this some more.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Although having some files available for my living room pc or the laptop would be nice.
    Tapapapatalk
    This does sound a bit like you want a NAS. A two-bay thing is not that expensive if you already have disks for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

In real world (not benchmarking) you won't see any difference between that and the EVO, I ordered one of the WD one last week since I'm out of SATA ports and my current SATA SSD is tiny

Bear in mind that on a lot of motherboards, installing an M.2 device will disable SATA-1 or SATA-5 ports, check your manual.

tl:dr very good deal go for it

edit: suppliers must have an excess or something

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX5...=pd_gwm_simh_1

1TB Crucial M.2 SSD for 155

no idea which is "better" but I tend to trust Crucial more than WD
    Thanks. I'm not short enough on drive space that I need to expand immediately, so I'll camp both of those and try and snipe at the bottom of the price dip. The only SATA drive I have is the optical, which I hardly ever use, so no issue there.

Windows boot issues are no longer my concern, I am glad to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Tapapapatalk
    This does sound a bit like you want a NAS. A two-bay thing is not that expensive if you already have disks for it.
    I don't, that's the thing. The 2tb disk has to stay in the PC.

It's not a priority right now and gets added to the "nice to have" list.
    nevar forget

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Stop being a sperge, it works, but it's not optimal as a boot drive due to how the subsystems are queued up
    Explain. I can get to my desktop less than 5 seconds after POST finishes.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Explain. I can get to my desktop less than 5 seconds after POST finishes.
    tl:dr nvme is pushed after sata

boot time difference is like, 3 seconds