hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 293637383940414249 ... LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post
    A friend of mine had a nasty surprise as he came back from his vacation. Turned pc on (clicked on the power switch), main fuse said "nope". Now his pc isn't booting. The PSU is a solid seasonic, I wouldn't expect it to crap out for no reason. We will debug with my PSU, but what may cause this and what should we look for? Obviously if the issue is somewhere else, we don't want this to happen again.
    Check the fuse in the power cable or alternatively the power distribution extension fuse (I hope he did use some protection...).

Worse case scenario, Seasonic kicked the bucket whilst saving the rest of the system. RIP and bury it with honours.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Well thanks for posting the pictures and letting me live vicariously through you. My black friday purchased R6 is sitting right next to me with no components in it and it's just begging me to fill it. With hardware.

PC hardware you sick bastards.

I've been considering going with an AIO this time but I'm concerned about pump noise. I've seen/heard some horrible pc's with them belonging to family members but this was from 5-6 years ago and reviewers are generally crappy with differentiating noise sources.
    My Aio makes no noticable noise at all

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Well thanks for posting the pictures and letting me live vicariously through you. My black friday purchased R6 is sitting right next to me with no components in it and it's just begging me to fill it. With hardware.

I've been considering going with an AIO this time but I'm concerned about pump noise. I've seen/heard some horrible pc's with them belonging to family members but this was from 5-6 years ago and reviewers are generally crappy with differentiating noise sources.
    Basing anything from some family member experience from 6 years ago is pretty pointless.
    Of course it isn't. First off, it's my experience of their equipment. Second, forum posts on the subject in the darkest dungeons of the interwebz brings up the subject all the time. Thirdly, AIO reviews usually have a different focus than what I'm interested in or they're just plain bad at reviewing.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    If you're really concerned about the noise of an AIO, then look into sourcing an old Zalman Reserator 1 or 2. Not as effective as an AIO, but it is much quieter. The LGA775 models should be compatible with modern sockets.

I have a 1 Plus from years ago, but I didn't want to do maintenance on it, so now it's gummed up and needs a cleaning.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Oh that brings me back.

I considered getting one of those for my old Sonata case but I ended up opting for an open loop kit from Waterchill instead. Wish I'd gone with with the Zalman truth be told if only for the looks but Lan parties were still a thing and it kinda looked like a hassle transporting it.

They do look pretty sweet though.

Oh that brings me back.

I considered getting one of those for my old Sonata case but I ended up opting for an open loop kit from Waterchill instead. Wish I'd gone with with the Zalman truth be told if only for the looks but Lan parties were still a thing and it kinda looked like a hassle transporting it.

They do look pretty sweet though.
    It was a hassle, which is the reason I switched to a Noctua cooler. But if you're building a HTPC or audio production machine, then it's nice.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Basing anything from some family member experience from 6 years ago is pretty pointless.
    Of course it isn't. First off, it's my experience of their equipment. Second, forum posts on the subject in the darkest dungeons of the interwebz brings up the subject all the time. Thirdly, AIO reviews usually have a different focus than what I'm interested in or they're just plain bad at reviewing.
    I'm calling your family related experience worthless by now.

Also jsut because know it all hyoerautistic dickheads on the internet keep bringing it up to masturbate over it i wouldn't make such a big deal out of anything that's said on "the darkest dungeons on the internet"

I'm calling your family related experience worthless by now.

Also jsut because know it all hyoerautistic dickheads on the internet keep bringing it up to masturbate over it i wouldn't make such a big deal out of anything that's said on "the darkest dungeons on the internet"

Gee, it's almost as if I was entirely aware of this and asking for more information before a purchase since I haven't made up my mind about it. But do go ahead and provide nothing of use. On anything really.

Yeah that's fair, it just looked to me like you were going at this from a very odd angle and dismissing certain things outright while the source of your doubt was weird to me.

I haven't heard any complaints about crazy noisy modern AIO systems, it hasn't come up much at all to me. Which is also incidentally why i think it's not mentioned much in reviews, possibly, and i suspect the only people focusing spectacularly on it are incredibly tedious people being themselves on the internet. Memories of Linus trying to prove that a completely passive cooled system still makes noise due to coil whine etc. while it never rises above general ambient noise in a super quiet room come to mind.
    Last edited by Isyel; December 31 2018 at 12:25:00 AM.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Coil whine can be incredibly annoying though. I've had several passive videocards in the past that made audible coil whine under load, but luckily that's a very long time ago.

Standards do vary a lot when it comes to completely silent PC's. Most reviewers will call something "silent" when it's clearly making an audible amount of noise, or "quiet" when you hear quite a lot of noise but it could still be far worse. There used to be a lot of good info on actually silent PC's on silentpcreview.com, but that's gone quiet (har har) the past year or so.

Absolutely! The type of noise makes a huge difference regardless* of decibel. My tinnitus gets incredibly annoying when there's high pitched noises active, background noise be damned.

Conversely the sound of air moving is just.. noise.

*within reason

silentpcreview was great

in my experience, as long as you buy quality then you're good. get a decent brand of aio, the pump will be fine, and then you can swap out the fans if you need - those seem to be the main source of annoying high frequencies. the stock fan on my old hyper 212 evo was made of kind of brittle hard plastic iirc, which made quite a high-pitched ringy sound. swapped out the fan for a quiet one and all was good

my old build had a corsair aio which gave me no problems at all. the pump was audible at 100%, but it's not going to be 100% unless you're at high load. the whole machine was basically silent at idle temps with quiet fans and a custom fan curve
    MAX damage posting

Yeah, unless you've bought a Noctua or BeQuiet cooler, always swap the fans for third party fans with high static pressure.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Running a Core i9-9900K @5 Ghz with a Corsair Hydro H115i PRO and it's very quiet with a Queit profile. Around 400 RPM on the fans and 1050 on the pump at idle, with cpu temp at around 30 celsius. Under max load I've seen 60 degrees but not much over that, and pump/fan noise is very manageable. I guess it might become hotter during summer, but doubt it'll go that much higher.

AMD keynote finished. A 3rd gen Ryzen showed comparable performance to a i9-9900K with 30% less power used. No word on models, pricing, or availability other than "mid 2019".

I'm reading that the system drew 30% less, so the CPU different is closer to 50% less power than Intel for the same performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

These are gud times coming :3
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Absolutely! The type of noise makes a huge difference regardless* of decibel. My tinnitus gets incredibly annoying when there's high pitched noises active, background noise be damned.

Conversely the sound of air moving is just.. noise.

*within reason
    Just throwing in my 2 cents, I've got a couple year old Corsair 280 mm AIO on the CPU, with Noctua fans on the radiator. Can't hear it unless I stick my ear in the case.

The loudest thing in my PC is actually the Seasonic PSU. That's irksome.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

So an update. Found a Corsair H115I Pro 280mm AIO on sale and thought I might give it a shot as it was only 200 Börks more expensive than a Noctua DH-15 which would have been my first option. Powered it up using my current rig and it seems rather nice, the stock fans are Noctua quiet™ and the pump noiselessly vibrated in my palm. It seems like it could work rather nicely and I've started the assembly in the R6.

Now since I'm building this computer over an extended period of time I keep my eye out for bargains and I found another one which puts me in a tricky spot. There's an ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING with a 650 börks (75 USD) off of it's saleprice. A bit higher end than what I usually go for but atm the price is right and it's a fine mobo. Really tempted to get it but it would have to be flashed before I put a 3000 series cpu in it so I'd have to find a cheap AM4 cpu which, in turn, would offset the cost saving somewhat.

I doubt it's worth waiting for x570 boards but then again that might just be my upgrade itch that's messing with me. Rumour has it PCIE gen4 support can be added to PCIE slots that is no more then 7.5 inches from the cpu on current mobos but even if that's not the case I doubt I'd ever know the difference.

To buy or not to buy..
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; January 12 2019 at 10:36:07 PM.

So an update. Found a Corsair H115I Pro 280mm AIO on sale and thought I might give it a shot as it was only 200 Börks more expensive than a Noctua DH-15 which would have been my first option. Powered it up using my current rig and it seems rather nice, the stock fans are Noctua quiet™ and the pump noiselessly vibrated in my palm. It seems like it could work rather nicely and I've started the assembly in the R6.

Now since I'm building this computer over an extended period of time I keep my eye out for bargains and I found another one which puts me in a tricky spot. There's an ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING with a 650 börks (75 USD) off of it's saleprice. A bit higher end than what I usually go for but atm the price is right and it's a fine mobo. Really tempted to get it but it would have to be flashed before I put a 3000 series cpu in it so I'd have to find a cheap AM4 cpu which, in turn, would offset the cost saving somewhat.

I doubt it's worth waiting for x570 boards but then again that might just be my upgrade itch that's messing with me. Rumour has it PCIE gen4 support can be added to PCIE slots that is no more then 7.5 inches from the cpu on current mobos but even if that's not the case I doubt I'd ever know the difference.

To buy or not to buy..
    Didn't AMD offer older CPUs on free loan so you could flash your motherboard?
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan