hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 158 of 162 FirstFirst ... 58108148155156157158159160161 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 3236

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

On that bandwagon for few months already. I thought it's industry standard, kinda surprised GN made that coverage, I thought everyone knew.

Has anyone had any experience with streaming gaming to a TV in another room and playing from a couch? I think that's what the steam link was supposed to do, but that died a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliventi View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with streaming gaming to a TV in another room and playing from a couch? I think that's what the steam link was supposed to do, but that died a long time ago.
    I recently set up a pc in the living room and streamed from my main pc using Steam. It worked really well. I didn't check for latency and could see some minor compression artifacts. So it might not make Cosmin happy, but it was a much better experience than I expected.

You can probably get away with a really weak system. Not sure if a pi running steam for Linux would work, but a simple i3 or some such with integrated graphics definitely will.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

I used NVidia GameStream sending to an Nvidia Shield TV a couple of times and it seemed quite alright. Obviously means you need an NVidia card.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    I recently set up a pc in the living room and streamed from my main pc using Steam. It worked really well. I didn't check for latency and could see some minor compression artifacts. So it might not make Cosmin happy, but it was a much better experience than I expected.

You can probably get away with a really weak system. Not sure if a pi running steam for Linux would work, but a simple i3 or some such with integrated graphics definitely will.

Tapapapatalk
    I'm using STEAM as well with a low power HTPC Ryzen 3 system with a PS4 controller. Streams and plays just fine once you get it going but it's a bit finicky at times tbh. Some titles work fine from the first start others you have to mess with som settings to get it going. It mostly runs racing games as I loathe controllers in most genres.

AMD also has streaming capabilities in their drivers but I've never tried them out.

I'd steer clear of STEAM OS, I gave it a try but it was a pile of laggy hot garbage.

I do it with Occulus Quest 2 from my PC over the wifi, no cables and I play phasmaphobia with the wife in the livingg room. I'm even then casting the Quest 2 back to the TV screen. Works perfectly.

This is a Wifi 6 router, thats also supplying my daughtrer with netflix/youtube/tik tok 24/7 plus whatever else 20-30 devices ar eon the wifi over the house.

I've used both the Steam Link, and the Steam in home streaming from one PC to another. It works so well its almost like black fuckin magic

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    I've used both the Steam Link, and the Steam in home streaming from one PC to another. It works so well its almost like black fuckin magic
    Shame they discontinued both it and the controller. Feel lucky to have both.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Steam Link app apparently runs well on most android TV devices, like the aforementioned Nvidia Shield, and has the same capabilities the old Steam Link did.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Tapapapatalk
    Hey stop that, Iím actually using the Steam Link and I have a spare one in case this one dies

Itís mostly for content streaming but games play nicely as well, regardless of whether the controller is plugged in the PC or the Steam Link.

Really a shame itís been discontinued, itís really low power and has four USB ports. Itís also amazing itís just 10/100, not gbit LAN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Steam Link app apparently runs well on most android TV devices, like the aforementioned Nvidia Shield, and has the same capabilities the old Steam Link did.
    Yeah, I was about to test just that this weekend. One connects / pairs (if BT is supported) a controller directly to the (Android) TV and it should just work. I'm a bit worried about the bandwidth requirements since I haven't found the time to actually connect my PC to wired ethernet so both device are on WiFi.

But if the original HW box can do with just 10/100 Mbps as Cosmin said then it shouldn't be a horrible experience, I guess.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Got one I never use if someone needs this relic.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    I'm a bit worried about the bandwidth requirements since I haven't found the time to actually connect my PC to wired ethernet so both device are on WiFi.

But if the original HW box can do with just 10/100 Mbps as Cosmin said then it shouldn't be a horrible experience, I guess.
    Weeeelll the wisdom wrt the original Steam Link box was that it worked fine wired and fairly shitty wireless. But that might have been because it had a shitty wireless chipset, can't really remember. Bandwidth isn't the issue here, packet loss and latency are, and wireless often tends to be oversaturated but modern wifi stuff is loads better. Let us know how it turns out!

I'm a bit worried about the bandwidth requirements since I haven't found the time to actually connect my PC to wired ethernet so both device are on WiFi.

Weeeelll the wisdom wrt the original Steam Link box was that it worked fine wired and fairly shitty wireless. But that might have been because it had a shitty wireless chipset, can't really remember. Bandwidth isn't the issue here, packet loss and latency are, and wireless often tends to be oversaturated but modern wifi stuff is loads better. Let us know how it turns out!
    Can confirm quite shitty experience on wireless. Overall latency wasn't too bad actually, but it frequently spiked causing drop-outs. Will need to try again when I'm wired up properly.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Can confirm quite shitty experience on wireless. Overall latency wasn't too bad actually, but it frequently spiked causing drop-outs. Will need to try again when I'm wired up properly.
    I haven't had much issues on either with dropping connection but certainly dropping frames and latency can be issues, especially depending on the type of game you're playing. Wouldn't recommend playing high intensity fighting games/fps. But chillen playing some Space engineers or Dyson Sphere Project works beautifully

It's really game dependant for me. Dirt Rally plays perfectly while Star Wars Squadrons gives me a lag freeze every 10-15 seconds for example.

Hit and miss basically. Guess I should try out the AMD option one of these days.

Maybe there's hope for an early GPU recovery. 6700XT's at stupid high prices aren't flying off the shelves anymore, they're selling but they're not gone within 30 minutes after being listed like they used to. They're also not showing up on auction sites so they're not being picked up by scalpers either.

I'm sure that the 50% price drop in ETH the last week has had some influence in this . At the moment miners are still making good money as people are panic selling, keeping gas prices high but that too shall end once the sell off is complete.

Nvidia 3000 series and AMD 6800/6900 are still nowhere to be found. It will be interesting to monitor next weeks auctions on 3000 series cards and see what other people will make of this.

Yeah it feels like things are easing a little. Still awful, of course, but at least stuff is showing up as in hugely overpriced stock in small quantities now instead of being "lol no you need quicker reactions than a fucking bot" to even try to get one for 3x MSRP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Yeah it feels like things are easing a little. Still awful, of course, but at least stuff is showing up as in hugely overpriced stock in small quantities now instead of being "lol no you need quicker reactions than a fucking bot" to even try to get one for 3x MSRP.
    The damage has been done, the high end stuff will still be unreasonably priced for years to come and I don't think there's ever going back. Also at the moment storage prices have gone completely bonkers and there's no real reason behind it except the retailers cashing in on the chia madness (there's no real shortage on storage).

Like... wtf.

On the plus side, if I sell all my 4TB HDDs I could probably get a high end Threadripper system
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

"High end" stuff. You're killing me here, we haven't seen a decent new 250 USD class of card being released since Polaris in 2016. That perfomance bracket has almost doubled in price.

The awfullness is evenly distributed IMO.