hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 93 of 162 FirstFirst ... 438390919293949596103143 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 3236

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Did a quick search seems this is most appropriate thread.

Looking for recommendations for "silent" (less than 20db I guess). I require three 120mm for heat sinks. Three 120mm and one 140mm for intake/outtake case fans.

Variety of options would be good, budget through to premium.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Did a quick search seems this is most appropriate thread.

Looking for recommendations for "silent" (less than 20db I guess). I require three 120mm for heat sinks. Three 120mm and one 140mm for intake/outtake case fans.

Variety of options would be good, budget through to premium.
    I assume you're looking for case fans? Noctua and be quiet! are excellent brands. I have Corsair ML140 fans, but they're not as quiet.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/ca...t=price&page=1
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

I currently have Noctua nh-d15 case fans, which are fine if pricey. I've used Scythe case fans before and those were about as good in terms of noise while being cheaper.

Noctua AF 12x25. I have 5 of them in my case and they're absolutely fantastic. They have absolutely no motor noise and are dead silent below 1200 rpm.

They're expensive though but for me it's a no brainer. The corsair ML140's that I had from the start drove me nuts with the chirping motor noise even at low rpm's.

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-pwm

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I currently have Noctua nh-d15 case fans, which are fine if pricey. I've used Scythe case fans before and those were about as good in terms of noise while being cheaper.
    The thing with noctua is they move a ridiculous amount of air for how quiet they are iirc.

Yeah expensive af but amazing products ngl.

beQuiet! are not great, Noctua on the other hand is on another fucking level. You can achieve same performance/noise level as with cheap AiOs on air.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Just to briefly correct myself, I use Noctua NF-S12 and Noctua NF-A14 case fans. Noctua NH-D15 is my CPU cooler (and what I got when I searched for Noctua in my email and copy/pasted the first "Noctua" product I could find).

edit: as there are different models of Noctua fans, here is the model distinction for the 120mm ones from their website:

Performance and application-type considerations for 120mm fans (airflow vs static pressure): In the 120mm range, Noctua offers the NF-A12x25 that provides superior performance in all applications and models such as the NF-F12 and NF-S12A or NF-P12 redux and NF-S12B redux that are focused solutions for either airflow or pressure-demanding applications. See this guide for further explanations. Note that there is no distinction between airflow and pressure-focused models in all other sizes. Except for the NF-F12, NF-P12 and NF-S12 lines, all other Noctua fans are designed to provide optimal results in both types of applications. In particular, Noctua’s A-series models are universal solutions that are excellent both as case fans and on coolers and radiators.
    - https://noctua.at/en/buying-guide-fans
    Last edited by GeromeDoutrande; March 4 2020 at 09:29:56 AM.

Speaking of Noctua and their love of everything brown. Hoodies!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084X9CS59?tag=noctua0b-20

I got to say this amuses me. Noctual releasing clothes in their, by some, hated trademark colours is a brilliant FU to all the haters.

Cheers fine people. Will look into Noctua and Scythe products.

Horrible Intel Security Failure #137

http://blog.ptsecurity.com/2020/03/i...-of-trust.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Cheers fine people. Will look into Noctua and Scythe products.
    Replaced two Scythe Slipstream 800RPM which died after 11 years with a couple of Noctua NF-P12 1300RPM PWM.

The real kicker is that there are 4 more Scythe Slipstream 800RPM in my computer that still work flawlessly after 11 years and they're still going strong.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I used Scythe Mugen to overclock ever living shit of out axda1700dut3c, worked really well. No idea how good they are nowadays but back then they were great.

Mugen is kind of overwhelmed nowadays but it was a great heatsink when it came out.

I had it on my E2140, 50% overclock lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm considering picking up one of these for use as a BOINC machine. Does anyone have any experience with these types of machines? What's the port next to the RJ-45? Do they have to be managed solely via network, or can I install a GPU, connect a monitor, and install Windows normally?

I'm also debating getting a Unifi USG vs an EdgeRouter X. Not intending to do anything fancy, just 1-2 hardwired machines and an AP for others. Would prefer to use a GUI over a CLI.
    Last edited by Nordstern; March 7 2020 at 05:59:23 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I'm considering picking up one of these for use as a BOINC machine. Does anyone have any experience with these types of machines? What's the port next to the RJ-45? Do they have to be managed solely via network, or can I install a GPU, connect a monitor, and install Windows normally?

I'm also debating getting a Unifi USG vs an EdgeRouter X. Not intending to do anything fancy, just 1-2 hardwired machines and an AP for others. Would prefer to use a GUI over a CLI.
    Looks like a SAS expander port.

Anyway, why the fuck would you want something like this in your house? It would draw a lot of power (although the PSU is underpowered for 4 proper GPUs), generate a lot of heat and a lot of noise. Fine for a datacenter, terrible for anywhere else.

It looks like a pretty cheap case though. No USB ports on the back, no RJ45 for some kind of network management port (IPMI, iLO, iDRAC, or whatever), no place to put any kind of storage unless you do indeed have a SAS expander. You'd better hope there are enough USB ports and such behind the front plate (of which there is no picture), otherwise I have no idea how you're going to manage it.

You should be able to hook it up to a monitor and install windows once you figure out where you are going to store shit.

If you truly want to build a multi-GPU compute server you're better off doing some research and picking up the right Supermicro server and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    If you truly want to build a multi-GPU compute server you're better off doing some research and picking up the right Supermicro server and go from there.
    For $100?
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    For $100?
    For 100$ he would be lucky if:
    1. shipping won't be more than 100$;
    2. that thing actually powers up.

For $100?
    Well no, but is has a much larger chance of making him happy. Also there are plenty of second hand Supermicro's being sold on various websites, so there are probably good deals to be had on those too. Do note that Supermicro is terrible at providing BIOS updates so if it's an older Intel chances are there's nothing you can do about the 1001 security vulnerabilities. But that doesn't have to be the end of the world for a server like this, just don't connect it directly to the internet and don't run anything on it that matters.

For $100?
    Well no, but is has a much larger chance of making him happy. Also there are plenty of second hand Supermicro's being sold on various websites, so there are probably good deals to be had on those too. Do note that Supermicro is terrible at providing BIOS updates so if it's an older Intel chances are there's nothing you can do about the 1001 security vulnerabilities. But that doesn't have to be the end of the world for a server like this, just don't connect it directly to the internet and don't run anything on it that matters.
    It's a BOINC box. Intel security flaws aren't a concern, and yes, it absolutely needs to connect to the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    For $100?
    It's a BOINC box. Intel security flaws aren't a concern, and yes, it absolutely needs to connect to the Internet.
    Directly was the operative word there. Throw it behind a NAT router and you're mostly good.