hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

My dad is looking into getting a nice CPU+Mobo pair to complement the rest of the hardware he got (mfw he has 16 gigs of RAM, im still stuck on 8). He does not exactly play (any) games and the only relevant thing other than pure performance is maybe video playback.
    Is AMD the go-to in this price segment? 4 cores would be nice, OC'ing optional.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post

I really, truly hope that Asus gets this sorted out, because there are so many complaints out there, it's easy to see how it could damage the brand.
    I watched a video of how to mount one when Threadripper was released and it seemed super easy. What went wrong? (I was tired and falling asleep and the video started rolling after another one, not like I go looking for this stuff.)

This forum post on Reddit explains it in detail
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post
    My dad is looking into getting a nice CPU+Mobo pair to complement the rest of the hardware he got (mfw he has 16 gigs of RAM, im still stuck on 8). He does not exactly play (any) games and the only relevant thing other than pure performance is maybe video playback.
    Is AMD the go-to in this price segment? 4 cores would be nice, OC'ing optional.
    From 1 Week ago. I know you said not gaming, but this still helps indicate what difference is considered before moving up to higher tier gaming machines. I'm assuming it's basically a beefier graphics card and a bit more RAM and PSU.

In 2017, don't buy anything less than 4 cores, any GPU (integrated or dedicated chip) should be able to cope with 1080p accelerated playback, and you won't need more than 8GB RAM for now if not gaming/encoding/doing actual work.
    Yes, I'd highly advise AMD, for driving the price of everything down (assuming they're not also the cheapest priceerformance CPU) and for better supporting their own sockets down the line should you want to upgrade the CPU without buying a new mobo.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

After blowing my wad yesterday.

Find out there's a 15% sale on NewEgg today if you get the Groupon + Order from Mobile.

Fuck.

Also, isn't black friday right around the corner?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Also, isn't black friday right around the corner?
    yeh and cyber monday

It is, but supply constrained high end hardware is unlikely to see any major movement on price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Is that a good time for me to buy an Xperia Z3 tablet

Shit's here fam, let's see if I can find my damn Windows 10 disk now.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    I've been looking for the right case for my next build, since I've grown tired of my 2005-era mid-tower monster. I wanted a windowed case that was more compact than I currently have, with room for a optical drive, a 3.5" bay for a memory card reader, removable dust filters, USB 3.0 ports on the front, about 4 expansion slots (but fewer than 6), and can be painted rather easily.

The closest I've found is this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-047-_-Product

It doesn't have a 3.5" bay, and it's wider than I'd like, but I can live with that. Is there a better choice? Also, I'm planning on running a fanless power supply.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Why do you need an optical drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Why do you need an optical drive?

Because I'm old-fashioned and still have a lot of discs lying around.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Luditery.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I've been looking for the right case for my next build, since I've grown tired of my 2005-era mid-tower monster. I wanted a windowed case that was more compact than I currently have, with room for a optical drive, a 3.5" bay for a memory card reader, removable dust filters, USB 3.0 ports on the front, about 4 expansion slots (but fewer than 6), and can be painted rather easily.

The closest I've found is this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-047-_-Product

It doesn't have a 3.5" bay, and it's wider than I'd like, but I can live with that. Is there a better choice? Also, I'm planning on running a fanless power supply.
    I have that case and I actually painted it.
    https://imgur.com/a/XhMyl

It's great when you need something that is small but can fit 8 HDDs + 2 SSDs.
    Not sure if it's the best if you just have a single HDD.
    What are expansion slots?

There is a slot on the side where you can put in a CD, I guess there has to be some form of low profie optical drive that you can put in. See the last picture.
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Thought about what I really needed the optical drive and memory card reader for and decided I don't really need either. I'm going to continue using my existing system anyway; this is simply a VR system I'm building for use in another room. So I won't need to install Windows on a drive, I can use USB. I don't need to import CDs, I have my existing system for that. And I have 2 free 3.5" bays in my existing system, so the memory card reader can go there.

On top of that, the motherboard I'm set on getting has built-in wi-fi and a good sound chip approved by Creative, so I don't need a separate Creative sound card. Which means I don't need more than 2 slots in the case.

That means I'll probably be getting the Fractal Design Define Nano S.

Yeah, that looks better for your usecase.
    I do love my node, but it's kinda bulky unless you can use the space with radiators or HDDs.
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    An USB optical drive doesn't cost a lot either. Keep it in a drawer for those few times you might need it.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

So looking to get a Ryzen 1600 and mobo and 16 gig ram this friday for maybe £350? Probably not cos of lol ram costs but there is hope. That was the plan budgeted for.. Could get something today for £400 so no biggie if black friday has nothing amazing. Running a 2500k still so its time to upgrade. But then...
      Spoiler:
    [

Mates this seems like an amazing deal right now for anyone UK based looking to snag a new GPU. Works out at like £370 exchange rate so with bank charge call it £400 max? Better hope there's no need to rma it mind. Tempted to push buy on this (sell my 970) and delay the mainboard upgrade for a month. My current system would be bottlenecked by the cpu but i can live with that.

So. Do i buy this card? Am i right in thinking that is pretty sweet in today's shitty gpu market? Or go for a ryzen deal anyway and look for another massdrop in a months time?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Thought about what I really needed the optical drive and memory card reader for and decided I don't really need either. I'm going to continue using my existing system anyway; this is simply a VR system I'm building for use in another room. So I won't need to install Windows on a drive, I can use USB. I don't need to import CDs, I have my existing system for that. And I have 2 free 3.5" bays in my existing system, so the memory card reader can go there.

On top of that, the motherboard I'm set on getting has built-in wi-fi and a good sound chip approved by Creative, so I don't need a separate Creative sound card. Which means I don't need more than 2 slots in the case.

That means I'll probably be getting the Fractal Design Define Nano S.
    You could also do what I do and network drive the optical drive on another machine. Obviously doesnt work for burning discs but works just fine during the odd occasion you need to install something from a disk.