hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 81516171819202128 ... LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Is there really any noticeable payoff to overclocking RAM?
    Posting about it.
    For Ryzen: yes, very much so. The fabric speed is linked to the RAM speed, and Ryzen's memory latency isn't that good to begin with (improved in Zen+, still not at Intel levels). Most gaming benchmarks show about 10% FPS improvements if you go ~3200 Mhz with decent timings. Above that improvements are slim at best.

And even though memory is stupidly expensive and good memory kits even more so, the difference between a slow kit and a fast kit are usually less than 10% of your total build budget wise, so a smart investment.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    Is there really any noticeable payoff to overclocking RAM?
    Posting about it.
    For Ryzen: yes, very much so. The fabric speed is linked to the RAM speed, and Ryzen's memory latency isn't that good to begin with (improved in Zen+, still not at Intel levels). Most gaming benchmarks show about 10% FPS improvements if you go ~3200 Mhz with decent timings. Above that improvements are slim at best.

And even though memory is stupidly expensive and good memory kits even more so, the difference between a slow kit and a fast kit are usually less than 10% of your total build budget wise, so a smart investment.
    I'm pretty sure that my RAM would cost me more to buy now than it did 4 years ago, fair enough

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Mhh, I can't install the 1803 patch. 0x80070643 error.
    Gonna delete the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download stuff and try again.
    Have you got a Intel 600p ssd? Apparently it's incompatible with 1803.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

@Cosmin: I had a bunch of BSODs over the past months. From one every few days to four on a single evening. The error / stop code hinted at a faulty motherboard, specifically connected to the USB 3 portion. So fixing Windows does fuck all to fix that.

I ordered some parts today, I can pick them up on Monday: 2600x, ASUS Prime X470-Pro, 16GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200, 500GB 960EVO, Thermaltake 240mm AIO watercooler, Thermaltake View 31 RGB.

I'll also pick up a new PSU as well on Monday because I might as well.

The store threw in a free Raspberry Pi 3B+, so that's nice.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    @Cosmin: I had a bunch of BSODs over the past months. From one every few days to four on a single evening. The error / stop code hinted at a faulty motherboard, specifically connected to the USB 3 portion. So fixing Windows does fuck all to fix that.

I ordered some parts today, I can pick them up on Monday: 2600x, ASUS Prime X470-Pro, 16GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200, 500GB 960EVO, Thermaltake 240mm AIO watercooler, Thermaltake View 31 RGB.

I'll also pick up a new PSU as well on Monday because I might as well.

The store threw in a free Raspberry Pi 3B+, so that's nice.
    Ok I got you, so there's a problem with the system itself somewhere. It may be worth investigating once you get your main rig online, as to what's causing it and maybe repurposing the old system as a media center/NAS/whatevs, especially since you can undervolt that CPU and cool it with something really quiet?

New system looks sweet af, what PSU are you getting? I'm always recommending something something Seasonic for the build quality and the ease of cleaning - my Platinum 1000W basically allows you to remove the fan and thoroughly clean it with compressed air without voiding the warranty, was a really pleasant surprise.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

The store I'm picking stuff up from doesn't have Seasonic stocked, so it's going to be a Cooler Master one with 650W.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Picked up all the things, a 2600X, Asus Prime, 16gb of G.Skill Trident RGB RAM, a 500gb Samsung 960 Evo, the aforementioned Cooler Master PSU, a Thermaltake Water 3.0 dual fan AIO. Everything went into a Thermaltake View 31 along with the old GTX970 and an old 2TB platter.

I also picked up a cheap gt710 for the old PC since the mainboard didn't have an hdmi port or something for the i5's GPU.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

I screwed something up. I wanted to add a third 14cm intake fan on the front, but forgot to check if a third would even fit. No it wouldn't. So on the bottom it went. Also bought a led strip because the window wasn't lit enough. Caseking has an outlet store here in Berlin at their warehouse, so it was easy to get what I wanted.
    Since I couldn't cancel my Amazon order in time, I have another 14cm fan coming. I'm either sending it back or putting it into the bottom, it fits on more.

Yes, I am basically doing what my 16yo always wanted to do but usually couldn't afford.

Also at caseking they had some serious builds sitting around, like this submerged one.

Tapapapatalk
    Last edited by Joe Appleby; May 18 2018 at 05:23:54 PM. Reason: Tapatalk can't into photo rotation.
    nevar forget

I feel so old. I see all these LED's, glass sidepanels and water cooling with dye in it and I just think; What's the point?

Can you even buy a decent case these days that won't light up half the city?

Also, get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    I feel so old. I see all these LED's, glass sidepanels and water cooling with dye in it and I just think; What's the point?

Also, get off my lawn.
    You can get very good cases without windows. They nowadays even are padded to dampen and still get good cooling results (Fractal Design Define R6).

You just can't get them in beige. Turbo buttons and speed displays are also not really a thing anymore.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    snip
    Tapapapatalk
    That submersion setup is dope. I had always wanted to do a mineral oil setup, after seeing the peuget systems aquarium tank like 10 years ago.

In my previous life as an HVAC design engineer I had plans for a phase change cooled setup kicking around for a while. I really couldn't be bothered with that now though
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    I replaced the paste on my Athlon/stock heat sink today. It is now running at 45 degrees instead of 60 degrees.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Took delivery of a new CFD workstation today 2 x Epyc 7281's going t be interesting to see how it runs and stacks up against the other Intel workstations we have.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Also, get off my lawn.
    Apparently even Lian-Li have gone with the new trends

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    In my previous life as an HVAC design engineer I had plans for a phase change cooled setup kicking around for a while. I really couldn't be bothered with that now though
    I have a custom single stage setup on my balcony ready to be plugged in to play with my old school hardware. Thing is a beast, consumes electricity proportionally and is likely to require obscene amounts of armaflex and other isolations to make the experiments not die a horrible death. Unfortunately it's the time I'm missing, not the passion

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

Also, get off my lawn.
    Horses for courses.

You want a nice simple understated case you can get one. You want one with windows, LEDs and infinity panels, you can get one of those.

It's much better than the old days when the choice was beige or beige and if you wanted windows you had to be pretty handy with a Dremel, and as for lighting, I had more inverters blow than almost anything else, so I'm very glad CCFL is dead.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

Also, get off my lawn.
    Looks far better than the shitty old cases

Do you guys actually remember how aids some brands cable management/airflow were back in the "all matte black box" years?

On top of which, support for pretty much every form factor is excellent now

Cases with windows have been around since 2004 at least. Take off your rose tinted glasses.

Also you can get cases like this now:

(It's ITX sized.)
    http://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech...taku-review/1/
    nevar forget

Do you guys actually remember how aids some brands cable management/airflow were back in the "all matte black box" years?
    Which have absolutely nothing to do with epilepsy inducing LEDs and wrist slitting glass panels*.

Things improve from an engineering standpoint in virtually every field so the whole "newer is better" is basically a given. No point to bring it up.

Taste and refinement however, that stuff varies wildly.

*That's hyperbole for you sarcasm impaired.