hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 61314151617181926 ... LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Delaminating plywood?

I dont think I could get it warm enough if I tried.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    depends, cheap ply will. something like marine ply won't in a million years

that's a very very pretty case, i wish i had the motivation to make something like that

That shit's adorable. Nice.

I see ryzen 2 cpu's are starting to show up in shops now.
    Im still on my amd fx-85xx cpu something.
    But got plans for building a new rig this summer.
    Was aining for a ryzen 1700 but now there are ryzen version 2 cpu's out... what to do?

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Combat-gr.../dp/B07CG63CS7

Solid marketing scenes. AMD "combat crates". CPU GFX MB bundle for what I reckon is an alright price in today's world of idiotic gfx prices. Hm. I guess a little overpriced still because old hardware but the concept is sound I reckon.

It's a way to fight the miner cunts i guess.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Isyel; April 24 2018 at 02:28:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeway84 View Post
    I see ryzen 2 cpu's are starting to show up in shops now.
    Im still on my amd fx-85xx cpu something.
    But got plans for building a new rig this summer.
    Was aining for a ryzen 1700 but now there are ryzen version 2 cpu's out... what to do?
    You already had a pricepoint set. The new 2700 is about the same price on release as the 1700 so just go with that. The biggest decision for you is if you will wait for a less pricy b450 mobo or go with an x470, b350 or x370 board.

The 2600 looks too good to pass up performance/cost wise to me though.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    2600 if you want to go overclocking yourself. 2600X if you just want to plug it in and go (faster, better cooler, only a few tenners more). Only point against the X is that it uses quite a bit more power due to the higer clockspeeds.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    I think my upgrade decision this summer will hinge on whether the rumored 8-core Coffee Lake chip will work with my system. Otherwise, it'll be a 8700.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I think my upgrade decision this summer will hinge on whether the rumored 8-core Coffee Lake chip will work with my system. Otherwise, it'll be a 8700.
    Not to be Mr Negative over here but what possessed you to think Intel would plan a consumer friendly upgrade path for their customers? They've had so many sockets in the last few years my head starts to spin.

Lots of reviews have come out over the past two weeks and I'm pretty sure about the CPU I want to get (2600X, 6 cores is enough for now) and the RAM I want to get (G.Skill Trident Z 3200 C14 B-die), but I'm still massively undecided on a motherboard.

Baseline would be an Asus Prime X470 Pro, but there aren't really any reviews out for it yet. The TUF is absolute shit, so this is the cheapest Asus board that looks good. But the more expensive boards (STRIX, Crosshair VII) look great too, although I'm not sure I'd actually use the additional features they offer. Well except the insane amount of USB ports the Crosshair VII offers, I'd use most of those. Saves me having to buy an USB hub at some point, but that alone doesn't make up for the increase in cost. P much the only other mobo manufacturer I'm interested in is ASRock, but there aren't many reviews out yet either.

Goal is to undervolt the CPU a bit for better temp + power usage. No point in doing all-core overclocks IMHO, the X models do an excellent job of overclocking themselves already. But I do want to push the memory to the bloody limit, given the insane performance increases that nets you.

So I had four BSODs in a row playing Battletech. Minidump pointed towards a mainboard issue with the USB driver. Looked for a driver update from MSI but no luck, last driver is from like 2013 or 2014.

Yeah, it's an i5 2500K system. Everything is from around that date except the SSD (IIRC) and definitely the 970, which was bought when the original 560ti died - one month before the 1080 was released.

Anyway.

Updated the MS drivers, saw a new Win10 version available, 1803. I run the upgrade and once it's done, I end up in a login loop (enter pw, system loads just to dump me back to the login screen).

If it weren't for the BSODs, I'd just fix the windows issue, but I'd rather do it sort of right.

So my question is:

AMD or Intel? What are the benefits of going AMD?

2600X or 2700X? (I don't overclock - thought about it when I bought the 2500K but never got around to doing it.)

Or rather an i5 or i7?

I will need a new mainboard, a new PSU (I think the current one has 500 or 600W), a bigger SSD (from 128 to 250 or so) and RAM. Are the suggestions in the first post still good for those?
    nevar forget

IF the PSU isn't broken or terrible in general you have no reason to change it. Same with the 970, that thing should last you another year with its 580/1060:ish performance.

The 2600x looks like the go to CPU of you dont want to oc imo. Pair it with a b350/450 and youll be fine.

B450 isn't out yet, people are saying end of july. So only current-gen AMD mobo chipset available is the X470, which is more expensive. The newer CPU's do work fine on older mobo's (such as the B350 ones), but only if they have a recent BIOS installed. They won't even boot with the 2xxx CPU's on an older BIOS. You can get a loaner CPU from AMD to boot it and flash a newer BIOS but that's a bit of a hassle obviously.

Also I ended up saying "fuck it" and bought ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero mobo's with the 2600X and RAM mentioned earlier. Gonna put it together tomorrow, can't wait!

Edit: also, when it comes to RAM, Samsung B-die is apparently still the best available. But there is also Hynix C-die available now, which can reach high speeds (such as 3600) but not with the best timings.
    Last edited by Overspark; May 9 2018 at 09:40:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    IF the PSU isn't broken or terrible in general you have no reason to change it. Same with the 970, that thing should last you another year with its 580/1060:ish performance.

The 2600x looks like the go to CPU of you dont want to oc imo. Pair it with a b350/450 and youll be fine.
    I have to check the output of the PSU, 500W could be a bit of a stretch as I may want to switch to liquid cooling for the CPU and a new case in general. I am not switching out the GPU. The 970 runs everything I want and then some.

Good call on the 2600X. Also a cool €100 cheaper.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    B450 isn't out yet, people are saying end of july. So only current-gen AMD mobo chipset available is the X470, which is more expensive. The newer CPU's do work fine on older mobo's (such as the B350 ones), but only if they have a recent BIOS installed. They won't even boot with the 2xxx CPU's on an older BIOS. You can get a loaner CPU from AMD to boot it and flash a newer BIOS but that's a bit of a hassle obviously.

Also I ended up saying "fuck it" and bought ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero mobo's with the 2600X and RAM mentioned earlier. Gonna put it together tomorrow, can't wait!
    Yeah, will probably grab an X470 because they are available. And fuck that hassle lol. And yeah, will get that RAM as well.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post

I have to check the output of the PSU, 500W could be a bit of a stretch as I may want to switch to liquid cooling for the CPU and a new case in general. I am not switching out the GPU. The 970 runs everything I want and then some.

Good call on the 2600X. Also a cool €100 cheaper.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post

Yeah, will probably grab an X470 because they are available. And fuck that hassle lol. And yeah, will get that RAM as well.
    If you are doing liquid cooling, a lot of the AIO coolers simply use the normal fan hook ups, so 1 pump and 2 fans for the radiator would be no different than running 1 cpu fan and 2 case fans.

Donor
    So I had four BSODs in a row playing Battletech. Minidump pointed towards a mainboard issue with the USB driver. Looked for a driver update from MSI but no luck, last driver is from like 2013 or 2014.
    Lots of people reporting BSODs and crashes with 1803 that are generally fixed by removing and reinstalling the graphics drivers, so a reinstall of Windows may sort your system out.

AMD vs Intel - AMD all the way. 2600X + X470 + suitable RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    Lots of people reporting BSODs and crashes with 1803 that are generally fixed by removing and reinstalling the graphics drivers, so a reinstall of Windows may sort your system out.

AMD vs Intel - AMD all the way. 2600X + X470 + suitable RAM.
    Read again, the BSODs were prior the patch.
    nevar forget

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    I'd go with an i5, but that's mostly because I don't trust AMD to hold up in single core performance so v0v

Have you even looked at benchmarks with Intel after Meltdown patches, and with AMD not being erroneously also forced to suffer the performance hit of them (i.e. not on a Microsoft OS)?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Have you even looked at benchmarks with Intel after Meltdown patches, and with AMD not being erroneously also forced to suffer the performance hit of them (i.e. not on a Microsoft OS)?
    Why would I look at non-MS benchmarks?