hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 150 of 156 FirstFirst ... 50100140147148149150151152153 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 3117

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    wait that's a common issue ?

i figured it was just my shitty no brand USB headset being bad and swapped it for a analogue set of indeterminable age and quality.
    It is yeah.
    AMD finally admitted it exists last week. There are a bunch of reddit threads about it with a range of fixes.
    Either Disabling c-states, dropping PCIE bus's down to PCIE-3, or not using certain USB ports can fix it.
    Also some ppl have had success jsut installing latest chipset drivers from their mobo's site, not via Windows Update.
    My experience of this is for the ports that are USB 3 and above, dont connect a peripheral to them like ehadphones or keybaords. USB sticks and data is absolutely fine and work perfectly.

Made me think its power related, or maybe the handshale for how much power to send is borked?

Anandtech snuck out a review of the new Intel Rocket Lake which is launching March 30. Apparantly they bought one which surely makes for some annoyed discussions at Intel.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535...th-rocket-lake

The TLDR is: It's HOT! Super. Hot. Performance is different from old Skylake, sometimes faster and sometimes slower while mostly being slower than the R7 5800X.

It would be nice to get a pricewar going on the 8 core parts. The 5800X is weirdly priced atm but I guess that's the reason it's in stock everywhere as well so silver lining and all that.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; March 7 2021 at 11:27:49 AM.

Worse performance than a 5800x, while drawing more power and being hotter and costing slightly more if prices were normal? Quick, let me buy one never!

Has Intel just gone full NetBurst again, insisting that it can all be fixed by increasing clockspeeds no matter what that does to heat or power draw?
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Worse performance than a 5800x, while drawing more power and being hotter and costing slightly more if prices were normal? Quick, let me buy one never!

Has Intel just gone full NetBurst again, insisting that it can all be fixed by increasing clockspeeds no matter what that does to heat or power draw?
    Surprised? Been the same since last 2 gens. They have still years ahead of them before they catch up. I'm guessing 2-3 and then they'll debut something that will floor amd the same way Core2Duo did and cycle will repeat.

Yeah it's worth remembering that there's nothing wrong with Intel's CPU design team. It's the process side that's letting them down. It's amazing that they have been able to stay even vaguely competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post

Surprised? Been the same since last 2 gens. They have still years ahead of them before they catch up. I'm guessing 2-3 and then they'll debut something that will floor amd the same way Core2Duo did and cycle will repeat.
    While I do expect Intel to catch up eventually I absolutely do not expect them to suddenly leapfrog AMD any time soon. Except if AMD drops their ball massively, which they have done in the past, but seem to be steering well clear of at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Yeah it's worth remembering that there's nothing wrong with Intel's CPU design team. It's the process side that's letting them down. It's amazing that they have been able to stay even vaguely competitive.
    Except literally their design team implemented the features that made Meltdown possible. Chasing speed and forgoing security and now a large large large part of the Intel CPUs in the wild are crippled by the patches fixing that shit. Mine included.

But yeah, "nothing wrong". Fuck them with a stick
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post

While I do expect Intel to catch up eventually I absolutely do not expect them to suddenly leapfrog AMD any time soon. Except if AMD drops their ball massively, which they have done in the past, but seem to be steering well clear of at the moment.
    They will, the same way as every IT company does. Success brings a lot of new heads that would rather focus on playing office politics, financials or marketing or anything that makes powerpoint presentations look good and making a good, well engineered products takes a distant seat in priorities. Then they fall down (as we now observe with Intel), those opportunists move towards next big success to drag it down, while the company sets itself straight and makes good product again. And then the cycle repeats.

While Intel certainly has had its management missteps, you have to also keep in mind that developing cutting edge CPUs and GPUs is not a short process and a decision early on could turn out to be the wrong one and hobble you for years to come. AMD's entire position pre-Ryzen was simply because of the decisions around the architecture of Bulldozer. It took them 5 years to dig themselves out of that hole and it also fucked their GPUs since they had to starve the Radeon devision to get Zen over the line.

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    While Intel certainly has had its management missteps, you have to also keep in mind that developing cutting edge CPUs and GPUs is not a short process and a decision early on could turn out to be the wrong one and hobble you for years to come. AMD's entire position pre-Ryzen was simply because of the decisions around the architecture of Bulldozer. It took them 5 years to dig themselves out of that hole and it also fucked their GPUs since they had to starve the Radeon devision to get Zen over the line.
    Yes, that's why I'm saying we're still years before that happens.

So then whats a good CPU to get look at if i dont want to touch it for at least 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    So then whats a good CPU to get look at if i dont want to touch it for at least 5 years
    5800 or 5900 if you can get your hands on one.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Not an Intel, that's for sure

Fakeedit: AMD Ryzen 5600X seems to be the current go-to for good price vs performance, if you can get one for a reasonable price that is. 6 cores might not be enough in a couple of years, so you could go higher to a 5800X (8 cores) or more, but be aware that you will get very little extra real-world performance for a big step up in price.
    Last edited by Overspark; March 8 2021 at 03:51:52 PM.

At AMD's ~20%/gen rate, you can't futureproof. If your favoured apps scale with cores or cache, and they go to 5nm & DDR5 while doubling those counts again, you'll really notice the difference within 3 years.
    But if you're just caring about gaming fps at 1440p+, you're fine on Zen3, B550 and DDR4 3600MT/s.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

It depends a lot on whether Intel can or cannot make 10nm work properly. If they can't, then there's a problem and AMD prices will soar as their availability will plummet. Future proofing in this time feels exactly like Clawhammer/Venice and how Intel dropped the Core hammer afterwards, but it was much easier back then. Intel at the moment can't seem to get 10nm to work properly so that's a big issue to begin with. Their tech and architecture is really really really old and maybe there should be something done about that. Migration of people from AMD to Intel may fix this somehow but there may be years until actual results are seen on the market.

Meanwhile we as consumers kinda change one overlord for another and prices for decent CPUs under the 200$ mark becomes more and more of an unlikely scenario. Just like prices under 300$ for a fucking midrange GPU.

We wanted AMD to succeed to drive competition but instead they chose to put higher prices on their products instead of undercutting Intel more severely - they did, to a certain extent, however scarcity drove all the prices back up. It's a pretty shitty situation at the moment and it's not going to get much better inside a year or so. Maybe even more. So, if you really need an upgrade, just go for whatever is available. If you really don't, just hold on a bit longer for stuff to stabilize. At the moment the prices are bonkers and availability is in the shitter unless you happen to have thousands in disposable income and the drive to F5 sites to get something usable and at least close to MSRP.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

AMD, Nvidia and Intel isn't sitting on the entire supply chain themselves.
    Every single chip maker, have to pay more for parts from their suppliers.

They are not just stuffing their own pockets, costs have gone up.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

The Zen 3 based EPYC "Milan" will be announced on Monday next week. No idea if the Zen 3 Threadrippers will be announced at the same time.
    How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Not an Intel, that's for sure

Fakeedit: AMD Ryzen 5600X seems to be the current go-to for good price vs performance, if you can get one for a reasonable price that is. 6 cores might not be enough in a couple of years, so you could go higher to a 5800X (8 cores) or more, but be aware that you will get very little extra real-world performance for a big step up in price.
    Oddly the 5800X is pretty much the same per core as the 5600X in the UK.

I'd advise the 5800x. Things aren't going to get less multithready over the next 5 years, and benchmarks are done on nice clean installs with nothing else running.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

If you need it, the cpu you can get and not overpay much for is much more valuable than the hypothetical better option that doesn't exist tbh.

If you need it, the cpu you can get and not overpay much for is much more valuable than the hypothetical better option that doesn't exist tbh.
    Everyone is betting 5800x will get a price cut in the coming weeks as a reponse to Intel premiere. If and when it does, it's an absolute winner in price/performance ratios no matter the workload.