hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 121920212223242532 ... LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    My Acer XB271HU 1440p 144hz Gsync IPS monitor arrived this morning and I'm absolutely in love (despite the postman dumping it 3 doors down behind some bins)

"only" 420 and it's absolutely stellar (afaik all the panels are the same so the only difference between them is the branding/QC/warranty) can completely recommend it

Only tweaking was an ICC profile and some calibration, no dead pixels and only a bit of backlight bleed (but I'm used to that from my old IPS)

Still not quite used to 144hz, everything is kinda uncanny valley compared to 60hz

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    My Acer XB271HU 1440p 144hz Gsync IPS monitor arrived this morning and I'm absolutely in love (despite the postman dumping it 3 doors down behind some bins)

"only" 420 and it's absolutely stellar (afaik all the panels are the same so the only difference between them is the branding/QC/warranty) can completely recommend it

Only tweaking was an ICC profile and some calibration, no dead pixels and only a bit of backlight bleed (but I'm used to that from my old IPS)

Still not quite used to 144hz, everything is kinda uncanny valley compared to 60hz
    So you've had it for a few days now. Are you seeing any ghosting at all? My main concern with a 4ms IPS monitor is for high speed motion you might get a bit of blur.. Seeing any?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I suspect he doesn't even play any games where that would be a noticeable thing.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post

So you've had it for a few days now. Are you seeing any ghosting at all? My main concern with a 4ms IPS monitor is for high speed motion you might get a bit of blur.. Seeing any?
    Haven't noticed any, what kind of games would I experience it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post

I can't speak for his Acer Predator, but I have the ASUS PG279Q and it has zero motion blur with the right settings. However, it has noticeable ghosting even with ULMB activated at 120Hz (maximum refresh it can sustain with ULMB on). ULMB is the thingie that strobes the backlight to eliminate blurry thingies.

What's funny is that I notice the above in World of Warships of all games. DOOM action is too intense to actually notice any ghosting

Edit: it took me more than a couple months for me to actually notice that stuff, honestly my old monitors are still the best IPS out there for gaming in their size and limited to 60Hz (Dell U2312HM).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I guess Wolfenstein and Doom are pretty fast, as can be Overwatch, don't notice any blurring there

Other than that, R6 Siege, PUBG and platformers etc all seem fine, but they're all quite a bit slower

(really I'm not sure what you mean by "ghosting" so it might help if somebody explained that to me)

tbh, I'm not sure if anything would make me go back to the garbage colors/panels of TN and LED monitors, I'd go insane

I guess Wolfenstein and Doom are pretty fast, as can be Overwatch, don't notice any ghosting there

Other than that, R6 Siege, PUBG and platformers etc all seem fine, but they're all quite a bit slower

(really I'm not sure what you mean by "ghosting" so it might help if somebody explained that to me)

Have a look at this review and you'll understand - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...ift_pg279q.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or don't and live in happy ignorance tbh. :P

I mean, I've been on an IPS monitor for 5 years and I'm still reasonably above average at the competitive multiplayer games I play, so v0v idc

It looks like my trust old 500gb SSD is finally on the way out after 4 years.
    I'm looking to Amazon Prime a new one and have been repeatedly reccomended Samsungs.

Can you think of any reason not to get a 860 EVO ?
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    It looks like my trust old 500gb SSD is finally on the way out after 4 years.
    I'm looking to Amazon Prime a new one and have been repeatedly reccomended Samsungs.

Can you think of any reason not to get a 860 EVO ?
    The 960 Evo is way faster.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Am i blind, or does it only exist in M.2 ?
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Am i blind, or does it only exist in M.2 ?
    that's right. Its the M.2 PCIe "Variant".

As for faster … yes it is … numbers wise. But as far normal use (startup time, loading times, etc) goes you wont notice much if any difference between a SATA (like the 860) or a PCIe SSD.
    If you really do lots of large file copying or work stuff though were the write speeds matter then a PCIe drive surely has its merits.

Also you ll obviously need a mainboard with a M.2(PCIe 3.0 x4) slot.

I actually did buy a 480gb m.2 one 2 days ago for my steam folder … because my 500gb 850 is getting a bit too full ^^
    But i only did so because i only have 4 sata ports but a free m.2 slot, and it was as cheap as the 860 ;D

actually, the 970 EVO is sort of the M.2 PCIe counterpart to the 860 EVO. They use the same NAND type/generation. The 960 is one generation older.

Heh, didn't know the difference between 860 and 960 was the m.2.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

I just got this machine off a graduating student who used it for video editing and didn't need it anymore:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-5960X 3GHz 8-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Corsair - H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($155.48 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI - X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
    Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Storage: Samsung - SM951 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card
    Case: Fractal Design - Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($19.92 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($21.65 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($21.65 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $598.66
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-12 17:22 EDT-0400

:not bad: for $900

Is there anything in particular I should look into tweaking if I'm just planning to game? Or should I just plan to cannibalize it for juicy parts when I get a proper job and want to build my own monster?
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

That's not bad at all, that 5960X should do 4.5GHz without a sweat.

8 years is a pretty good run, and it was a bit of a struggle to justify spending money on a "working PC", but... Finally opened my wallet and ordered new motherboard, RAM, hard drive and CPU.

Phenom 960 -> Ryzen 2700 should be a pretty big jump c/d?

Also kind of excited for the M.2 drive. Samsung EVO 970 500Gb. The specs on those things are *insane*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

After 8 years the jump should be p. amazing if you didn't have a SSD previously. Other than that, I feel Windows with all the bells and whistles installed tops out at a certain speed that can be deemed as "acceptable"