hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 104 of 107 FirstFirst ... 45494101102103104105106107 LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2136

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Aha, my gtx 980ti has a heat problem which is killing it sometimes.

What are my options for a slight upgrade cost wise?
    Do you think you can endure it for another few months? If so, hang on until September for the new gen GPUs. Buying a GPU just before a new console generation is historically bad timing.

Do you feel like you could reseat and repaste the heatsink on the card?

If note, consult this. It's obviously not perfect, but it should give you a fair idea of where you stand:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...-gtx-980.c2621

Assuming you want a 50% performance, and why wouldn't you, increase then you're looking at a 2060 RTX or a 5700 not XT. Both of those will run you about £300-400 depending on model, reseller, etc.
    Last edited by Malcanis; May 31 2020 at 06:23:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

I use a 24inch 1080p display. Probably not going to upgrade that any time soon.

I've fixed an issue with the fans not spinning up properly which may reduce the number of crashes and make it usable for another few months

I'm considering repasting the card but haven't had a look at it properly. I'd need to buy the correct screwdrivers I think but I'll have a look for a schematic to see how straight forward it is.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

I've fixed an issue with the fans not spinning up properly which may reduce the number of crashes and make it usable for another few months

I'm considering repasting the card but haven't had a look at it properly. I'd need to buy the correct screwdrivers I think but I'll have a look for a schematic to see how straight forward it is.
    It might be that a drop or two of dry silicon lubricant, the kind bike shops sell, will help your fans? Also see if there's any dust build up. I was startled by the fluff-geyser that came out of mine when I rebuilt it.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Wouldn't you want a PTFE (Teflon) dry lube, rather than silicone, in a dusty environment?

GN just did a piece on why PSU, GPU, etc supply & pricing is jacked atm, and when production and shipping is expected to get back on track.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Gamers Nexus (short GN, a YouTube channel) may have videos on repasting video cards. Maybe not for the 980, but for newer cards they have disassembly videos. They mention in these videos that they newer cards are bitch to take apart compared to old ones.

Ifixit kits may actually be worth looking at for tools.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but RTX voice really works quite fine on non-RTX cards as well. A colleague has a blue switch mech keyboard (no filming, no dampening rings) and the filter he's running is doing quite a nice job of suppressing the noise during team Slack calls.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Thanks guys, i'll have a look for disassembly videos and see what options there are for lubing the fans. I need a new airduster as well now I think about it.

I bet I'll have it all fixed up just in time for lockdown to end and I'll be out of the house as much as humanly possible!
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Oh it's the fans that are dying, I see. Just get rid of the plastic shroud and put on some case fans in there. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

http://www.thefancyobsession.com/blo...th-noctua-fans

It'll look a bit ghetto but who cares. Cyberpunk 2077 is just around the corner anyway. I wouldn't bother with hooing them up to the GPU, I'd run it through a mobo fan connector and control them with Argus Monitor.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; June 1 2020 at 01:32:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Not sure how you define slight upgrade cost wise, but general consensus seems to be that 2060 is fine for 1080p, 2070 for 1440p and 2080 for 4k, each at high-ish framerates. It holds true for the super editions as well, those offer a good performance upgrade over non super versions, if you upgrade from something like your 980.

ie there's little point to move from 2060 to 2060 super, but from nothing to 2060 super isn't much more expensive than the 2060, but offers a lot more performance.

Tapapapatalk
    the 2060 is a piece of shit and never ever recommend anyone to get it

either get a 1660 or a radeon, there's zero reason for the 2060 with its neutered 6gb ram and no enough power to do rtx in any satisfying manner

minimum rtx is a 2060s

Not sure how you define slight upgrade cost wise, but general consensus seems to be that 2060 is fine for 1080p, 2070 for 1440p and 2080 for 4k, each at high-ish framerates. It holds true for the super editions as well, those offer a good performance upgrade over non super versions, if you upgrade from something like your 980.

ie there's little point to move from 2060 to 2060 super, but from nothing to 2060 super isn't much more expensive than the 2060, but offers a lot more performance.

Tapapapatalk
    the 2060 is a piece of shit and never ever recommend anyone to get it

either get a 1660 or a radeon, there's zero reason for the 2060 with its neutered 6gb ram and no enough power to do rtx in any satisfying manner

minimum rtx is a 2060s
    Is your last line supposed to read minimum RTX is the 2060 super?

Because I said get the super. Don't get the super if you already have a 2060.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Reading comprehension is not his strongest suite, especially when it gets in the way of throwing insults or just being a dick in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

Assuming you want a 50% performance, and why wouldn't you, increase then you're looking at a 2060 RTX or a 5700 not XT. Both of those will run you about £300-400 depending on model, reseller, etc.
    He had a 980ti. According to Techspot it's only 12% slower than a 2060 on average. That is a super slim margin that will go unnoticed for a lot of games.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1808...vs-gtx-980-ti/

Try to get the fans going or replace them and keep it running, especially if he uses a 1080p monitor. The biggest reason to upgrade would be because of new features and nvidia winding down their driver development for Maxwell cards.

Is your last line supposed to read minimum RTX is the 2060 super?

Because I said get the super. Don't get the super if you already have a 2060.

Tapapapatalk
    I know, referring to the rest of the post talking about some consensus about 1080p and 2060 really since there is no such thing really

also sideline also referring to malcanis' post

guess in retrospect shouldnt have really directly quoted you about it

sincerely, salty 2060 owner scenes
    Last edited by Isyel; June 1 2020 at 06:07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post

He had a 980ti. According to Techspot it's only 12% slower than a 2060 on average. That is a super slim margin that will go unnoticed for a lot of games.

Try to get the fans going or replace them and keep it running, especially if he uses a 1080p monitor. The biggest reason to upgrade would be because of new features and nvidia winding down their driver development for Maxwell cards.
    Good point.

All the more reason to try and eke a few more months out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post

Good point.

All the more reason to try and eke a few more months out of it.
    Absolutely agreed.

I might reposition a case fan to aid airflow away across the card and out the back of the case

Also what thermal paste is best now?

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Dear hardware thread, I am beginning to fear that my dear old i5-3550 is becoming ever more geriatric, and an upgrade is sorely needed. Unfortunately I´m quite strapped for cash, so it would be somewhat of a budget build.

I think i would keep the following components: m-ATX case, EVGA Supernova 650 G2 PSU, Radeon 5700, Noctua NH-L12S and all my drives (2x SATA SSDs and some spinners)

So I am speculating that the following components would be a reasonable improvement.

16GB of reasonable DDR4
    Ryzen 3100 or 3300X
    And a suitable B550 m-ATX board when released. Im thinking maybe https://asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M%20Pro4/index.asp, 4 ram slots, 6 sata slots and a usable PCI-e layout.

Should give me some upgradeability in the future, if the CPU is short-lived.

Thoughts?
    Thanks for the feedback btw, however I've opted to spend my hard earned petrodollars on gardening equipment instead. I'll revisit this when winter looms.

YOLO
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

I might reposition a case fan to aid airflow away across the card and out the back of the case

Kryonaut.

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/p...16-kryonaut-en

I might be biased as it's a local product, but Gamer's Nexus uses it in their testing, so it's probably pretty good.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar

Kryonaut.

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/p...16-kryonaut-en

I might be biased as it's a local product, but Gamer's Nexus uses it in their testing, so it's probably pretty good.

Tapapapatalk
    Seconding this. Not as fussy as liquid metal solutions such as Conductonaut, and still much better than your average thermal paste.

Just use MX-4, it remains one of the best and is cheap as chips.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.