hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    It sure is comforting to be able to get a ~200 CPU that, run at stock, is overpowered for everything I'll need for a long time yet.
    Speak for yourself.
    Out of interest, what are you CPU limited with?
    If you're into 144hz gaming it will be limiting, i know that much at least. But then you're not buying the budget option for that application, ever, anyway.

It sure is comforting to be able to get a ~200 CPU that, run at stock, is overpowered for everything I'll need for a long time yet.
    Speak for yourself.
    Usually single core performance, and GPU performance for non-gaming tasks.

Speak for yourself.
    Pretty sure the question was what sort of thing you running to get limited there.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Speak for yourself.
    Pretty sure the question was what sort of thing you running to get limited there.
    Cinema 4d, Maya, Modo, Houdini with Redshift and Octane.

Yeah so definitely not average use so really not sure why you're being so snarky with malcanis there as he was clearly 'speaking for himself'.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Yeah so definitely not average use so really not sure why you're being so snarky with malcanis there as he was clearly 'speaking for himself'.
    I'm not sure you're the one to be complaining about somebody being pointlessly snarky btw

Speak for yourself.
    Cinema 4d, Maya, Modo, Houdini with Redshift and Octane.
    probably better value to go AMD then? Not like you need massive gaming 240fps single thread performance, and a threadripper would eat those tasks

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    I'm not sure you're the one to be complaining about somebody being pointlessly snarky btw
    a rare goodpost

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    probably better value to go AMD then? Not like you need massive gaming 240fps single thread performance, and a threadripper would eat those tasks
    Yeah, Threadripper is amazing value simply because it has 16 cores. Single core performance is less than my overclocked 4930k, for example, but it simply has ~74% more oomph due to the sheer number of cores.

If budget is not a problem then the 7980XE is the better choice but comes with a retarded price tag and only minor improvements in multithread performance. Single thread is much better than the Threadripper.

Overall, I'm happy AMD came up with good products and competition should make itself felt at least in the mainstream area. Here's hoping they can keep it up. Now they need to do the same with GPUs.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Yeah, Threadripper is amazing value simply because it has 16 cores. Single core performance is less than my overclocked 4930k, for example, but it simply has ~74% more oomph due to the sheer number of cores.

If budget is not a problem then the 7980XE is the better choice but comes with a retarded price tag and only minor improvements in multithread performance. Single thread is much better than the Threadripper.

Overall, I'm happy AMD came up with good products and competition should make itself felt at least in the mainstream area. Here's hoping they can keep it up. Now they need to do the same with GPUs.
    Its very much a case of Intel catching up currently. They are two nodes behind and cannot into chiplets yet, so are burning cash on silicon currently and hoping they can market their way out of the inevitable move from xeons to threadrippers. Intel are in big trouble.

The less said about ATI group the better though

My ideal PC would be one where the cpu and gpu are logically and perhaps physically the same chip, share the same ram, with thousands of cores, but with 1-2 *CPU cores* running at +8GHZ. And this is for just a workstation, not a rendering node.

It's probably possible to build something like that one day, and a lot of the arm chips are going that way. Lamentably however the performance of what is available feels pretty far away from what many actually want, in 3d/motion content design and production.

a lot of the arm chips are going that way.
    And Samsung keep fucking that up (2015-2018) by having different ISA revision between big and LITTLE cores, causing fundamental problems with e.g. different cache line sizes while schedulars & programs are unaware of how to correctly handle that case.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

They are two nodes behind and cannot into chiplets yet

AMD's EPYC chiplet cpu's sure seems destined for greatness as well as making the company some well needed profits. It's pretty damb impressive.

And I mean impressive in every sense of the word.

Intel are in big trouble.
    Of the 30,000,000 or so cores I can see customers have running our software, over 29,900,000 of those are Intel cores. A significant subset of the AMD CPUs are those being run by AMD themselves.

There's benchmark trouble, and there's actual trouble.

Intel are nowhere near actual trouble.

Yeh, inertia is definitely at play, it's not like companies will trash their entire datacenter to replace Xeons with EPYCs at the drop of a hat. Anecdotally, though? My workplace has stopped buying Intel based servers. The cost of some of the security workarounds (IBRS, mostly) is just a bitch to have on, and since we host other's people's code[TM], we do have to have it on.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Can't do vMotion between ESXi hosts running on Intel and AMD CPU's, so everyone running VMware is stuck on Intel.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Of the 30,000,000 or so cores I can see customers have running our software
    How many of them were bought in the past 1/2/5 years?

Pretty much all of them; 30-40% CAGR.

My point was more that you couldn't have got a decent AMD CPU more than 2 years ago (unless more than 6 years ago), so the splits would be telling as how rapidly ratios are shifting.

My points are thus:
    1) No one is buying or has bought AMD CPUs for 5+ years. Intel's market dominance is total
    2) No one wants to run a split-tech datacentre
    3) No one really wants to run any datacentre
    4) Even people still being forced to run datacentres no longer give a shit about nuts-and-bolts kit; everything is commoditised and virtualised

The only way AMD are going to make headway into the business market (i.e. the only market that's left) is by delivering a product so more substantially efficient that it warrants a near-total re-platforming or a multi billion dollar class investment by the cloud vendors. The problem on the cloud front is that the overwhelming majority of workloads are built for machine parallelism, not cpu parallelism.
    Last edited by elmicker; November 7 2018 at 10:50:34 PM.