hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2330313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    New Intel chips are spicy meatballs, it seems. 60c over ambient. The vaunted NH-D15 is unable to handle it. AIOs fail to handle it.

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

It's clearly not for overclockers plus it doesnt have any headroom anyway. The thing that would have me worried would be the stock CPU throttling on boards that are not highend.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    It's clearly not for overclockers plus it doesnt have any headroom anyway. The thing that would have me worried would be the stock CPU throttling on boards that are not highend.
    > K part
    > "clearly not for overclockers"

wut
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    > K part

wut
    This.

Coupled with the pricing and the PT debacle I can't help but laugh at Intel here though.

> K part

wut
    Overclocking in the old days used to be about getting a better bang for your buck, not this "sporting event" it has turned into. And this thing neither bangs nor overclocks.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    > K part

wut
    Overclocking in the old days used to be about getting a better bang for your buck, not this "sporting event" it has turned into. And this thing neither bangs nor overclocks.
    It uh, it is still getting a better bang for your buck?

Even my shitty ass motherboard put my CPU to 4.7Ghz from 3.6Ghz

The 9900K series are an exception, mostly because Intel wanted to swing a marketing dick around

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    mostly because Intel wanted to swing a marketing dick around
    And i absolutely love how they swung it straight into stinging nettles and assorted spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And i absolutely love how they swung it straight into stinging nettles and assorted spikes.
    To be fair, they managed to do an amazingly impressive job of taking something that is actually good and making it look bad. I thought it was funny that most of the youtubers I have seen commenting on this have basically had to come out and say it IS a good chip and it DOES out perform the AMD stuff, but just but the 10% or so they actually expected.

I also find the cost to performance thing quite interesting because hardly anyone takes the RAM cost in to account. The Ryzen chip NEED good fast RAM. The intel chips not so much. The cost savings on the CPU and motherboard can easily be eaten up by getting it the 3200MHz+ RAM it really wants. You just dont need to do that on the intel side. (I mean it doesnt hurt but still)
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I dunno, the cheapest 2666 and 3200 16 GB set only differs 250 sek. That usually translates to 25 US dollars when it comes to tech prices.

Thats pretty much the cost of THE cooler you have to buy for the Intel cpu.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; October 22 2018 at 11:28:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    To be fair, they managed to do an amazingly impressive job of taking something that is actually good and making it look bad. I thought it was funny that most of the youtubers I have seen commenting on this have basically had to come out and say it IS a good chip and it DOES out perform the AMD stuff, but just but the 10% or so they actually expected.

I also find the cost to performance thing quite interesting because hardly anyone takes the RAM cost in to account. The Ryzen chip NEED good fast RAM. The intel chips not so much. The cost savings on the CPU and motherboard can easily be eaten up by getting it the 3200MHz+ RAM it really wants. You just dont need to do that on the intel side. (I mean it doesnt hurt but still)
    Wat. Here we go again.

Intel improved their ram scaling, intel supports higher speed ram now even, and the price difference doesn't get anywhere NEAR offsetting higher ram speed price.

Yes, the chip is the 'fastest gaming cpu' but that only matters if price is of zero consideration to you in your build, entirely. It's not even up for debate rly.

The whole point is intel bullshitted on the performance to drive sales before the NDA was over and anyone could properly contradict them on a chip that is technically the fastest anyway and everyone knew it was going to be. Literally the only reason they did it was to excuse their idiotic pricing on it. Not sure why you're putting it as "it was funny they had to come out and say it" when everyone in the universe knew it was going to be true.
    Last edited by Isyel; October 23 2018 at 03:30:30 AM.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.

Donor
    Anyone who uses a 9900K on a board with 4-phase VRMs is going to be filling out a RMA form in a few months, imho.

Recently, I've been wondering if upgrading to a i7-8700 was a mistake, considering I'm running a Z370-I mini-ITX board with (reportedly) only 4 phases.
    Last edited by Nordstern; October 23 2018 at 07:29:38 PM.

Disclaimer: I have no particular knowledge other than what I've picked up from various techtubers and hardware sites.

With that out of the way, there is nothing inherently bad with 4 phase designs. They can be made to handle larger amounts of power if they're designed to do so as it all comes down to the components. It just that it's cheaper to do more phases if you need to handle large amounts of power since you can use, say twice the amount of components made to handle less power instead of fewer really big (expensive) ones.

And there's a host of other reasons other than power to consider with voltage stability and what have you, when more phases are better.

If your setup is stable and your thermals are in order, don't worry about it. Yes you might not turbo up to full spec but that's just good board design to make sure it doesn't kill itself.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrw...8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ

Most of his stuff isn't interesting but he talks alot about various components and which thermals they can handle which can give you an idea if you have something to worry about. Personally, I wouldn't.

Wat. Here we go again.

Intel improved their ram scaling, intel supports higher speed ram now even, and the price difference doesn't get anywhere NEAR offsetting higher ram speed price.

Yes, the chip is the 'fastest gaming cpu' but that only matters if price is of zero consideration to you in your build, entirely. It's not even up for debate rly.

The whole point is intel bullshitted on the performance to drive sales before the NDA was over and anyone could properly contradict them on a chip that is technically the fastest anyway and everyone knew it was going to be. Literally the only reason they did it was to excuse their idiotic pricing on it. Not sure why you're putting it as "it was funny they had to come out and say it" when everyone in the universe knew it was going to be true.
    i think you missed my point.. Intel isn't slowed down by slower RAM as much as Ryzen is. You can get away with 2666 (or whatever the stock speeds are now) RAM in Intel and not see a massive performance hit, but don't you even DREAM of doing that on Ryzen.

I'm not defending Intel in the slightest. What they did was utter shit and the reason why all of these gag until 1 hour before release bullshit things should get dropped, but that's not going to happen. What makes it worse is they didn't even need to do it because the chip on its own is actually quite good.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

i think you missed my point.. Intel isn't slowed down by slower RAM as much as Ryzen is. You can get away with 2666 (or whatever the stock speeds are now) RAM in Intel and not see a massive performance hit, but don't you even DREAM of doing that on Ryzen.
    No i got you perfectly fine.

You're just *severely* exaggerating the ram speed difference and the ram price difference for that speed. It doesn't come anywhere close to covering that price gap.

It sure is comforting to be able to get a ~200 CPU that, run at stock, is overpowered for everything I'll need for a long time yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    It sure is comforting to be able to get a ~200 CPU that, run at stock, is overpowered for everything I'll need for a long time yet.
    Speak for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Speak for yourself.
    Pretty sure he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Speak for yourself.
    Out of interest, what are you CPU limited with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!