hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 119 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1969109116117118119120121122129 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 2613

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    while you're all being sound nerds though - say i wanted a soundbar and a headset - for 200, what would you recommend? Note, i don't have a sound card.
    No idea about soundbars, so not going to suggest anything.

But for headphones, Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990. 770s are closed, so no sound leakage, strong bass, not so clear highs. 880s are semi open, less base, better highs. 990s are fully open, so maximum sound leakage, roomy and very detailed sound. I have 990s.
    990s are 120/130 quid, 990 pro might be cheaper. Pro editions have the same sound* but stronger "clamping force". Some people find them less comfortable.

*unless you talk to audiophile knobheads
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    OK, I get that making fun of audiophiles is a worthy way to spend your time, but to get back to varrakk's original point all on-board soundcards (even the ones on really expensive motherboards) are STILL shit, even though they're much less shit than a few decades ago. So get a dedicated soundcard (I prefer external USB ones these days over internal ones) and enjoy. Even on shitty headphones and computer speakers the difference is fairly obvious.
    As you rightly say, on-board sound is way better than it used to be. Luckily for me, I wrecked my hearing in my late teens and early twenties smashing it out in front of the speaker stacks while off my tits on wiz and cheap beer, so this pair of inexpensive Logitechs direct from the motherboard soundcard is, in fact, as good as it needs to be for me. I genuinely can't hear the difference from "better" hardware.

So I get to carry right on mocking your warm 0s and 1s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    So I get to carry right on mocking your warm 0s and 1s.
    Except it's not about warm 0s and 1s. All the changes we're talking about are in the analog domain (i.e. a non-shitty amp). I have a hard time accepting you can't hear an absence of hiss and a much higher dynamic range even with wrecked ears if we put you through a proper double-blind listening test. Hell I have pretty strong tinnitus in both ears myself, doesn't stand in the way of recognising shitty sound.

So I need recommendations for a cheap gaming rig. Cca 600€ for my little cousin. I have no idea what's currently good and decent price/performance. Halp please.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    So I need recommendations for a cheap gaming rig. Cca 600 for my little cousin. I have no idea what's currently good and decent price/performance. Halp please.
    Terrible time to buy new stuff. We got cpu launches next week and more mainstream gpu launches by the end of the month which will drive down pricing. If you can make it a christmas gift you should go for that.

But you should probably start with telling us if you need peripherals and a monitor included in the price.

If not;

50 Case Fractal design Focus G
    60 PSU Corsair CV550
    120 MOBO Gigabyte B550M
    100 16Gb of 3200 RAM any type you like
    150 CPU Ryzen 3 3300x

That leaves 120 for a GPU which gets you a basically nothing. a Geforce 1650 is 170 and they're awfull. You'd be much better off looking at the used market for a Geforce 1060 or Radeon 570/580

I've just been eyeballing Swedish sites (25%VAT) so maybe you can get away with better stuff. I particulary don't like the PSU and Mobo. The CPU will drop in price shortly so I'm not fond of that one either. The case I like.

Edit* I forgot the SSD... Blech!
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; October 3 2020 at 12:27:32 PM.

So I need recommendations for a cheap gaming rig. Cca 600€ for my little cousin. I have no idea what's currently good and decent price/performance. Halp please.
    Devil's advocate voice: why not a fancy new console?

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Devil's advocate voice: why not a fancy new console?
    Yeah I mean the xbox one S (for 1080p gaming) is 360 €. Then you can shell out for xbox game pass for 2-3 years for the rest.

For 600€ you need to hit the used market, or buy a prebuilt Acer or something like that.
    Or console..
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Terrible time to buy new stuff. We got cpu launches next week and more mainstream gpu launches by the end of the month which will drive down pricing. If you can make it a christmas gift you should go for that.

But you should probably start with telling us if you need peripherals and a monitor included in the price.

If not;

50€ Case Fractal design Focus G
    60€ PSU Corsair CV550
    120€ MOBO Gigabyte B550M
    100€ 16Gb of 3200 RAM any type you like
    150€ CPU Ryzen 3 3300x

That leaves 120 for a GPU which gets you a basically nothing. a Geforce 1650 is 170€ and they're awfull. You'd be much better off looking at the used market for a Geforce 1060 or Radeon 570/580

I've just been eyeballing Swedish sites (25%VAT) so maybe you can get away with better stuff. I particulary don't like the PSU and Mobo. The CPU will drop in price shortly so I'm not fond of that one either. The case I like.

Grab a 3400G instead of the 3300X. It has a graphics unit that will run most games the little cousin might be interested in (read: Fortnite, Among Us, CS Go etc.). That leaves the 120 for a SSD or two.

Here's what I would get:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($82.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Adorama)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.49 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $538.44
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-03 09:53 EDT-0400

US pricing because PCPartpicker can't really pull European prices.
    nevar forget

while you're all being sound nerds though - say i wanted a soundbar and a headset - for 200, what would you recommend? Note, i don't have a sound card.
    Wireless headset and headset used mostly for gamery? How about some small separate speakers instead of a sound bar (I assume you're not talking about a TV sound bar)? Will you be using the headset or speakers most of the time?

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Wireless headset and headset used mostly for gamery? How about some small separate speakers instead of a sound bar (I assume you're not talking about a TV sound bar)? Will you be using the headset or speakers most of the time?
    i don't use a headset atm, but the place im moving too i'll probably need one for the neighbours so. open to anything, but i would like headset and speakers or a soundbar so i've got the choice. seperate speakers is ok too, it's how i'm currently setup but they're not great.

I'll recommend something that is split "unevenly", because then you have one "quality item" and you can swap out the cheaper part at a later date if you want.

SteelSeries Arctis 7 (wireless), 160 Euro
    Creative Pebble Plus, 40 Euro

I have the headphones and can recommend them. The speakers are the "budget editor's choice" at a few places.

Speakers I know and could recommend unfortunately start above your overall budget, but I am sure someone else can recommend something if you prefer to split your money more evenly or want to tilt in favour of the speakers.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    I'll recommend something that is split "unevenly", because then you have one "quality item" and you can swap out the cheaper part at a later date if you want.

SteelSeries Arctis 7 (wireless), 160 Euro
    Creative Pebble Plus, 40 Euro

I have the headphones and can recommend them. The speakers are the "budget editor's choice" at a few places.

Speakers I know and could recommend unfortunately start above your overall budget, but I am sure someone else can recommend something if you prefer to split your money more evenly or want to tilt in favour of the speakers.
    you lovely man, just ordered the arctis 7! speakers i'll order when i move C:

I have the Arctis 5, and I love it. On my reccomendation a friend one upped me and got the wireless 7, he loves those. I'm very impressed with my steelseries gear.

Chiming in; I have the Arctis Pro Wireless, and it is pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post

If not;

50€ Case Fractal design Focus G
    60€ PSU Corsair CV550
    120€ MOBO Gigabyte B550M
    100€ 16Gb of 3200 RAM any type you like
    150€ CPU Ryzen 3 3300x

That leaves 120 for a GPU which gets you a basically nothing. a Geforce 1650 is 170€ and they're awfull. You'd be much better off looking at the used market for a Geforce 1060 or Radeon 570/580

Grab a 3400G instead of the 3300X. It has a graphics unit that will run most games the little cousin might be interested in (read: Fortnite, Among Us, CS Go etc.). That leaves the 120 for a SSD or two.

Here's what I would get:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($82.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Adorama)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.49 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $538.44
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-03 09:53 EDT-0400

US pricing because PCPartpicker can't really pull European prices.
    This. For 600 Euros new build, you're realistically looking at an APU. If you can jack the budget up to the 700-750 mark, and wait a few weeks, there should be some excellent bargains in the second hand market as people begin to ditch their placeholder Ryzen 3600s and their old video cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

He has the peripherals and a screen. Just needs the rig itself.

Ill talk with the little man. It has to be a computer since he also needs it for school. He can probably wait a couple of weeks np.
    Thanks all for your advice.

This is apparently 540 Eur/490, the Radeon 580 8GB is creeping down in price even for new items like this, should blow an APU out of the water.

I would have gone a couple of quid more for an NVMe (Crucial P1 probably) but I figure a 2.5" SATA is more likely to be reused in the future while most budget-mid mobos have 1 M.2 slot.
    You can put more into the CPU for the 3300X, or just drop in a Zen3 as it's a 5xx mobo (which you can also invest more now in if desired).
    16GB RAM is plenty. If you want to minmax budget you can get just 1 8GB stick now, wait for the expected price drops before you get that minor dual channel bonus from a 2nd stick next spring.
    PSU should be reusable down the line.
    Case has a mesh front, options up top for fans/AIO. If you want extra fans I suggest Arctic PWM PST F series. You can get 5 for 20, almost as good as Noctuas.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; October 4 2020 at 11:40:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    16GB RAM is plenty. If you want to minmax budget you can get just 1 8GB stick now, wait for the expected price drops before you get that minor dual channel bonus from a 2nd stick next spring.
    That's a very iffy proposition. Chances of being able to buy the exact same stick at an indeterminate point in the future are low, and often two different sticks don't like working with each other for the dual channel bonuses. I'm not saying it won't work, but you're definitely taking a gamble there.

It's the most popular selling on Amazon, has been for months, there's a hell of a lot being produced and already in circulation. And iirc technically you only need the same die production to have very high likelyhood of compatibility. But sure, it was just a consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.